The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Physical boarder for your edge? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MagicMatt629
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of MagicMatt629
Do you use a rope, chalk, water, etc to mark your "stage" from your edge? If not, why? What are some of the pros and cons of either? This may be a personal opinion or even dependant on your venue, but I am curious as to what most people do and why.
#BelieveTheImpossible

www.facebook.com/MattThomasMagic
Siraldi
View Profile
Regular user
Johnson City, Tennessee
102 Posts

Profile of Siraldi
I personally do not. I suppose there could be pros to it. But I don't because of all the places (so far) I have busked at I tend to be in an area where at some point I had to move the crowd; even if a few feet. I like to practice my crowd control on the streets; so I just like the idea of no "stage".
troppobob
View Profile
Veteran user
Crescent Head Australia
372 Posts

Profile of troppobob
G'day Matt

All the options you mentioned have worked for different people at different times.

I choose to use a rope when it seems like a good idea - and it can also be used as a prop.

Bob Latta (aka Troppo Bob)
MagiCol
View Profile
Special user
Dargaville, New Zealand
929 Posts

Profile of MagiCol
I started on street magic with a stripped rope for the edge line. I think it's useful for those starting out as it gives a basis for telling people where to stand, for getting them to come forward, and move back. You do need to be able to control the physical location of your crowd [as well as getting their attention and keeping it when they are at the edge line]. After a good number of outings I no longer bothered with a rope line as I found I could get the people to move in and move out as I wanted. I'm glad to say that, in general, I don't have a problem with people standing too far away. Gazzo pointed out in the DVD set -3 disks: School of Busking by Mario Morris and Gazzo - a way to draw in people who are too far away. It's a useful technique at times if you haven't got a table anyway.
The presentation makes the magic.
MagicMatt629
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of MagicMatt629
Thanks for all your responses. As a new busker I wasn't sure if it made crowd control easier or harder with a rope.
#BelieveTheImpossible

www.facebook.com/MattThomasMagic
ROBERT BLAKE
View Profile
Inner circle
1472 Posts

Profile of ROBERT BLAKE
To biggest advantage of using a rope or chalk is that you create a group. imagine a theater you are standing on stage and looks into the audience. when there are not many people they will sit at different places. one on the front row two on row three etc. why because people are afraid of people they don't know. so what I do is that I show my leadership and ask everybodu to come and sit on row one. now I have created a group of people and not some bystanders.

this idea applys to the chalk line and rope line. they become a unit.
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved back to Midwest to see
1339 Posts

Profile of imgic
Happened about a Magician busking a few weeks ago...he had a good sized crowd formed up in large semi-circle in front of him. No rope or chalk, but distanced varied from 4 to 8 feet away, a bit irregullar, but all in all, well spaced, not crowding his table or block views or walkways. For some reason, as he's doing a sponge ball routine he became obsessed with crowd control. As he finished one effect in routine, he ran over to one part, telling them to take step back. Went back to routine, finished another part, then ran over to another area of crowd and asked them to step forward. Then began telling parts of crowd to move over as he's doing his patter. Was completely distracting; ruined the routine and people began trickling away. Remember, you're performing on the street...focus on performance..
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Physical boarder for your edge? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL