The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Colleges heading for "crisis"? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Close.Up.Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you!
2956 Posts

Profile of Close.Up.Dave
If you read the news and ask almost any new college graduate, the job market is weak & their debt is huge (both in sums and the interest that will be tacked on). This matters because 1. The possibility of reductions in student enrollment 2. Possible reductions in money for student programming 3. Increased public pressure to eliminate costs to colleges, which can put a negative spin on booking entertainment like magic & comedy shows

Now, obviously I am not a performer in this market, but I've still got my eye on pursuing it in the future. And, a few of my close friends are full time workers in colleges. Sadly they are a bit oblivious to current events, and I know for a fact they would have no clue what I'm talking about, or what to do if something like this did happen in the media and public policy.

Just wondering what some of the perspectives are from people who are workers in this market. Do you feel like there is a funds crisis coming for performers (similar to the meetings & hospitality industry suffered a few years ago)? Do you feel like colleges will feel pressure to be more like elementary and high schools, and only book educational programs?

Dave
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10606 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Nope, not at all. The college entertainment market is one of the most unique entertainment markets I've ever seen, and has been for generations. For the last 50 years the college market has been used to create national followings and eventually celebrity or stardom on a bigger level Jay Leno, Jerry Seinfeld, Carrot Top, Dane; Tosh, Dane Cook and so many of the music industries top bands from Alabama to ZZ top have all ruled in the college market. Some still do.

It is a huge national launching format and always will be. Unlike K-12, funding is either private, sponsored, or included in enrollment. Because it is such a huge part of college life, social or it's funding will never disappear. Overall it's big business. It is very weird to understand as at most college events only a handful of students seem to attend, yet others will draw concert size crowds. It is an art in an of itself in entertainment business education.

With all this said, it is a very tough market to prevail without A. a great deal of time and commitment, B.) a ton of money - tens to hundreds of thousands of dollars to invest to survive, or C.) an established agency representing you with their own financial backing to invest in you. Of course it should go without saying that you should have an extremely professional to worldclass act first and foremost.

It does seem, that when it comes to education markets in the U.S. college does incorrectly get lumped into the K-12 mentality, but it really is it's own complete market which requires its own unique understanding and education.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Colleges heading for "crisis"? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL