The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Creating routines. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Magivid
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of Magivid
Hello,

I'm pretty new to magic, and have learned quite something. Now that I have mastered these skills. I have to make a good routine. So, I was wondering if someone could give me tips.

Example: Yesterday I was on the street and I had to wait for something. So, this random kid comes to talk with me. Than I told him 'Do you want to see a magic trick?' I showed him a ring trick and it blewed his mind. I still had to wait, so I showed him another trick, that totally wasn't related to the ring trick. I just did random things.

I want to have a structure, and want to know if there is a book about routines. Or if someone could give me tip.

How long is the average routine?
Can you switch from card magic to ring magic?
How many tricks in a routine?

These are some questions of mine.
scottds80
View Profile
Special user
Victoria, Australia
730 Posts

Profile of scottds80
Hi Magivid,
Welcome to the wonderful world of magic.
Routines come in all shapes & sizes. This is my philosophy for my magic show which is parlour style..
Each effect doesn't strictly have to relate to the previous one. It is more important to have a structure that consists of an opener that shows who you are and generates a lot of interest - usually something quick & flashy. Then build your show so the interest levels continue to peak, then finish with an appropriate closer which leaves your spectators wowed!

It takes time to find quality material and discard what doesn't work for you. As for your question regarding different styles of magic, eg card effects then ring effects, that's fine. The most professional magicians do this, but they usually make a good plot to each effect so it doesn't appear as random nonsense.
I recommend a book called "maximum entertainment" by Ken Weber.

How many tricks you do in a routine is your choice. Personally I can get bored easily seeing a half hour magic show where only 3 tricks are performed and the rest is filler & banter. I perform 12 effects in my 40 minute show. They range from 30 seconds to 5 minutes.
"Great Scott the Magician", Gippsland
bluemagic
View Profile
Loyal user
271 Posts

Profile of bluemagic
What kind of magic you like to do,close,street.start with 3 effects1 choose a opener not a card effect draw them to you next middle effect and closer with a big wow facter.for me I start with thumb tip next proffecer night mare and end with a card stabb.later you can other effects
Yellowcustard
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1334 Posts

Profile of Yellowcustard
First up well done for performing. Sounds as if you enjoyed it and the person you performed for enjoyed it as well.

The way to learn what you want to know is put your self in that position more. find out if 6 tricks are to much? Dose keep switching your props have a weakness?

One thing I will tell you is there are no hard a fast rules. But there are something that seem to work pretty much for most, most of the time. I think a close up routine is normally around 10-15min. 3 tricks in a set and for table hopping have 3 sets of 3. Some pepole will do just card magic or coin. Some people will have a set of coin and a set of rope. But I like many have a real mix. Also linking with your audiance and telling a joke are to is important. A good entertain magic routine dose not just relie on how good the trick is.

I do try to link my tricks in a set. Like I have routine that uses card, coins and dice. I start of talking about my 40th birthday at Vegas and I am looking for a card partner. Then I do a coin matrix about street gamblers fishing up with a dice routine. It all linked with street con in london. And the line never trust a man of the streets Londond echos.

You might want to look at a book called beyond depiction.

Hope this helps your questions are good but they do leave things open. As you move forward and hitting perices issues do ask and we can fine tune our answears as we go.
Enjoy your magic,

and let others enjoy it as well!
MRSharpe
View Profile
Special user
Never a dull moment with
940 Posts

Profile of MRSharpe
Good job on working for a stranger spontaneously. Do you remember the effects you did? Something motivated you, possibly subconsciously, to do them in that order or you wouldn't have had as much success. Take those same effects and work through them at home and see if there is something which links them as a routine already. You may be surprised at what you find out.
Custom Props Designer and Fabricator as well as Performer from Indiana, USA
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Creating routines. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL