The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » Color Monte (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

plink
View Profile
Special user
661 Posts

Profile of plink
Color Monte and all of its variations has entertained countless folks. Having done it for years I've never been happy with the push forward the middle card pull back the top card move. Are there alternatives?
gadfly3d
View Profile
Special user
963 Posts

Profile of gadfly3d
Sure use cards that are stripped.
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Quote:
On 2013-07-16 22:18, plink wrote:
Color Monte and all of its variations has entertained countless folks. Having done it for years I've never been happy with the push forward the middle card pull back the top card move. Are there alternatives?

Plink,

I can't answer your question at this moment, but, I will research because I remember somewhere that there is a beautiful alternative to that move - I think it is in Ibidem but I'm not certain. I had worked out a way to do it when I was a demonstrator - because to be a demonstrator you have to learn Color Monte. But, it's been a while since I performed it. I will do some research and see what I can unearth. I am hopeful that our more scholarly members will chime in as well. Grrrrr!! It drives me crazy when I know the answer but cannot find it. Smile

Best,
Vlad
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4409 Posts

Profile of Paul
Think Double pushover. Paul Wilson uses a sequence with this. Kosky published it in the Gen.
hp
View Profile
Regular user
163 Posts

Profile of hp
I've seen some more advanced versions for the middle card, but I find the "push-pull" matches so well with my patter that I don't want to change it: "I didn't think there could be an X on the top or in the middle, but there was an X on top...".

Howard
ZoOpDoG
View Profile
Veteran user
All the cool people have
311 Posts

Profile of ZoOpDoG
I don't try and hide the move. I draw attention to it. "If its not on the bottom then certainly it must be one of these 2" next line pause and look them in the eye (usually me looking up from the cards and at them is enough to get them to do the same) as you say "but as you can see...." All focus goes back to the cards but the next move is underway.
Jay
View Profile
Elite user
Northern New Jersey
406 Posts

Profile of Jay
I highly recommend Paul Wilson's "Gypsy Monte" sequence on his DVD called "Knock 'Em Dead". It is an alternative to the Christ-Anneman Alignment move that you are uncomfortable with (as are many people). Once you learn his handling, you will forget the one you are currently using.
aussiemagik
View Profile
New user
Norfolk, VA
89 Posts

Profile of aussiemagik
Garrett Thomas has a version which can be found on Inside the Mind of Garrett Thomas and on one of the Reel Magic Magazine issues.
zacksdad
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of zacksdad
Quote:
On 2013-07-21 20:30, aussiemagik wrote:
Garrett Thomas has a version which can be found on Inside the Mind of Garrett Thomas and on one of the Reel Magic Magazine issues.

It's in issue 17 of Reel Magic...

I assume that what puts people off about the Christ alignment move is having both hands together and doing a pull/ push action.. it looks a bit fiddly. What I do is, whilst pattering and my hand is by my side, obtain a pinkie break under the bottom card and pull back the top card about a cm. Then when the hands come together all I have to do is the second part of the alignment move.

Works for me!
TheRaven
View Profile
Special user
597 Posts

Profile of TheRaven
Quote:
On 2013-07-20 03:48, ZoOpDoG wrote:
"If its not on the bottom then certainly it must be one of these 2"

I like this a lot and I think it makes a lot of sense.
foolsnobody
View Profile
Special user
Buffalo, NY
843 Posts

Profile of foolsnobody
Quote:
On 2013-07-17 10:30, Vlad_77 wrote:
Quote:
<snip>

Plink,

I can't answer your question at this moment, but, I will research because I remember somewhere that there is a beautiful alternative to that move - I think it is in Ibidem but I'm not certain. I had worked out a way to do it when I was a demonstrator - because to be a demonstrator you have to learn Color Monte. But, it's been a while since I performed it. I will do some research and see what I can unearth. I am hopeful that our more scholarly members will chime in as well. Grrrrr!! It drives me crazy when I know the answer but cannot find it. Smile

Best,
Vlad

I am thinking either Kabbala or Hierophant. I lost my issues so I can't look it up. It involved holding the middle card back with the left thumb after pushing off the top card; then the left fingers ("as a unit") push off the bottom card into alignment with the top card; the card(s) are then taken with a stud-type turnover, shown, and flipped FD on top so you can now show the middle card as the same card. It's a Marlo handling of course.
ShirtlessKirk
View Profile
Loyal user
236 Posts

Profile of ShirtlessKirk
Derek Dingle also had a handling to avoid using the standard actions associated with the alignment move. Look in May 2004, the handling is in the routine for quick D-Way.

Also check out The Commercial Magic of JC Wagner. An alternative handling in the routine Tri-Mi-Way.
Merc Man
View Profile
Inner circle
NUNEATON, Warwickshire
2538 Posts

Profile of Merc Man
Said this many times before. The alignment move just smacks of 'dodgyness personified' - particularly when used with three playing cards.

And just to add that despite one or two well-known card magicians from yesteryear claiming it as theirs, it actually started life as an envelope switch; and was created by a mentalist, named Burling Hull, way back in the early 1930's.
Barry Allen

Over 15 years have now passed - and still missing Abra Magazine arriving every Saturday morning.
seraph127
View Profile
Special user
587 Posts

Profile of seraph127
One might also consider using the Jack Merlin Double Deal mechanics from Expert Card Technique; with just three cards, it's not very difficult.
There are many tricks, and many effects, but rarely a Grand Effect. There are many entertainers, but few real magicians. Many technicians, but few artists who use their art to explore their vision. - Derren Brown, Absolute Magic
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » Color Monte (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL