The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » What type of music should be avoided (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

foreva.infiniti
View Profile
Regular user
6 Posts a + a 6 Posts =
116 Posts

Profile of foreva.infiniti
I understand that ANY music can be the right music if its done by the "right" performer but I have to believe that some muscical genres aren't just cut out for magic in general. I would like to know before finding out the hard way. Yes I know kids music would be ok for a kids show bbut not so much for an adult show which is why Im looking for music that simply wont work with magic no matter how good you are. Thanks.
Colors are Foreva. Numbers are Infinite. 4 every number there's a color. HEY! Eternity! Lets smoke a beer and drink some loud. But wait! I heard you was a six a plus a 6 ahhhh.
korttihai_82
View Profile
Inner circle
Finland
1880 Posts

Profile of korttihai_82
Most music from "music for magician's cd's"... Smile They just suck 99% of the time. Also finding good music ffom royalty free sites that doesn't sound like 70 adult video music takes hours and hours. Its all about first deciding what sort of feelings or atmosphere you want the music to add to the routine and then listen hours and hours of music.
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3716 Posts

Profile of mrunge
Rap music!!! Avoid Rap music like the plague!!!

Mark.
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3433 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
On a whole, avoidance of music with vocals is suggested. Unless you can find routines to do with Gregorian chants.

FWIW
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
tophatevents
View Profile
New user
89 Posts

Profile of tophatevents
I think, but that is just me,
you should only avoid the music that you yourself don't like.
Ok Black Metal is not an option for a children's show but that is just common sense.
If you use music that you like, you will feel more comfortable and at ease, you will have more joy in performing and that will result in a "better" act.
I've used gothic metal in childrens acts for years and never had any bad responses, it fitted the tricks and more importantly it fitted me. If the music is on the background, then vocals are no problem I think.
Nowadays I use more circus style music since I myselve have evolved a bit.

Off course the music has to set the desired mood for your effect, if you want to create an intimate poetic mood for for example a snowstorm then use something more romantic, not something upspeed, also common sense Smile
Music is very important because it really sets the mood.

Try to be yourself on stage, in an exagerated form or so, it's easier to stay in your role like that.
And therefore use music that you like Smile

Just my two cents
Frank Simpson
View Profile
Special user
SW Montana
883 Posts

Profile of Frank Simpson
Bad music. Avoid bad music and use only good music.

Apart from that the question is impossible to answer. We don't know you. We don't know your act.

It's the same with the effects themselves. One that I should avoid at all costs can be extremely effective in the hands of another. THERE IS NO FORMULA.

A person would have been very likely to tell Paul Anka to avoid hard rock and heavy metal music. But he recorded the album Rock Swings and put his unique imprint on the songs. Someone else recording these charts would most likely seem like a joke, but in Mr. Anka's hands the album is pure genius!

An artist must find his own path ultimately, and you can't really even say that there is such a thing as "music that simply wont work with magic no matter how good you are." You will have to experiment, and you'll probably make mistakes along the way. We all have.
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1777 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
A good rule of thumb is to avoid cheesy music. And korttihai_82, you are entitled to your opinion regarding royalty-free music for magicians. In fact, I agree with you to a large extent.

However, I encourage you to listen to samples on my website. My royalty-free music is written from a film scoring perspective. It is professionally produced, specifically designed for magic performances, and absolutely top quality. Find out more and listen to excerpts at http://www.arthurstead.com.

Arthur Stead
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
Oliver Ross
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1724 Posts

Profile of Oliver Ross
Foreva.infiniti,

As others have told already, music choice is a very personnal thing and depends on your act or routine, the feelings and emotions in the stage play, your stage personna and the action on stage and so much more...

General advices I've seen and that should be followed are :

- Don't use other artist's music, specially other magician's music ! Specially in a same kind of act. This is the most important one !!!
- Don't use the latest and greatest hit on air at the radio. Too recognizable by an audience that would rather try to think about the star who's singing it than concentrate on the stage play.
- Don't use music pieces like :
- Music Soundtrack "Jaws"
- Orff's "Carmina Burana"
- Rossini's "Barbier of Seville"
- "The man with the harmonica" from movie soundtrack "Once upon a time in the west"
- Cirque du Soleil's "Eclipse" soundtrack
- Richard Strauss' "Thus Spake Zarathustra..." (except for a funny parody)

Those songs have been played to death and used too much in the past.

- Movie Soundtracks that are too recognizable, like "Star Wars"...etc

- Music from other people (like African, Asian...) should be used very carfully, because they could sound to personnal and could hurt members of the relevant people)

Otherwise you could use any kind of music and sound that would enhance your act or routine as long as you care aswell about all the legal aspects concerning using music.

Suggestions about this can be found in Gary Ouellet's booklet "The Magic and the Music" available at the Camirand Academy of Magic in Canada and in Eberhard Riese's book "Foundations". I'm sure there are other good sources...

Oliver.
mrmetropolis
View Profile
Regular user
who has only made
155 Posts

Profile of mrmetropolis
Wow... I think Oliver Ross hit the nail on the head. I use the exact criteria for choosing my own music. I do break those rules however, Knowing some music is over used. I try to be very sparing with it and well... only because the timing is just perfect.
"For those who believe, no explanation is necessary, for those who do not, none will suffice".-Joseph Dunninger http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4wL5fX3xGQ
mikewarner
View Profile
Regular user
US
102 Posts

Profile of mikewarner
I personally find using any form of modern (and by that I mean last 20 years) popular music inappropriate for most magic acts. It just degrades and cheapens your performance. You can't go wrong with a cinematic orchestral piece - Though nothing to corny.
mikewarner
View Profile
Regular user
US
102 Posts

Profile of mikewarner
I personally find using any form of modern (and by that I mean last 20 years) popular music inappropriate for most magic acts. It just degrades and cheapens your performance. You can't go wrong with a cinematic orchestral piece - Though nothing to corny.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » What type of music should be avoided (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL