The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Give me your children before they are 6, and I'll make them Bizarrists for life. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Brynmore13
View Profile
Elite user
Australia
485 Posts

Profile of Brynmore13
I had a gig for the Australian Br@very Association today. It is a support group for those who have undertaken rescues at great peril to themselves. Many members have the scars of such experiences in their souls. So when I was invited to do this gig, I was of two minds. Firstly a desire to meet and entertain such inspirational people, and give them a little extra wondet in their lives and that of their families, was a big positive. On the other hand, the brief was a little light magic for the kiddies at the outdoor BBQ, not exactly the best venue for setting up an atmoshpere for bizarreness. Also not the target audience of most of us either, I dare say.

So anyhow I started doing a little walk-around for the adults doing spoon bending, unlinking rubber bands and B'W@ve (a big shout out to Mr Cagigal for putting me onto this effect). The reactions to B'W@ve were good, the spoon bending bombed (for a change) and the rubberbands were in the middle.

Then I collected a few of the kids and took them over to my little card tablet which had my h066s b0x on it. I showed the kids the rubberband and spoon bit, which they loved. Actually they loved all of it bless them, but the do call it like they see it as well if they think they know how it's done. And sometimes they are pretty *** close too.

One of them then asked what was in the box. I love the way these artifacts excite curiosity. So I told them it had magic inside, but to unlock the magic, we had to combine our magics and unlock the box. So I had them hold out there hands and mime an unlocking action, as I performed haunted key. Gasps as the key turns. Then I showed them Sw33ter and l0wer, phone into balloon, magic colouring book and m3ntal ph0t0graphy deck. Here I had them mentally inking and then colouring the book, then deck.

At this stage I moved the box, under which I'd placed two of those wind up flying butterflies that run on the power of a twisted rubber band. The promptly flew of into the air which got a nice enchanted reaction.

Then I pulled out my H1gley's D3mented Eye, placed it on top of the H0bbs B0x, and after a short argument about whether the eye was real or not, had the kid's stare at the eye and imagine it was their eye. Asked them to imagine what it would be like to look back at themselves through that eye. I was pleasantly surprised that they were engaged and taking it very seriously. Then I asked them to imagine looking around through that eye. Their eyes looked around. Told them to try again, but stare straight at the eye in the jar. Then it turned...and again. Sqeals of delight and revoltion.

Lastly they asked me about the candle in one of Tomo's fine candle holders. So I pulled it out, lit it, asked them to select a card and concentrate on it. Took out a piece of flash paper, telling them to project the image on the paper. Put the paper to the flame, flash, then the card appears as blisters on the thumb and finger.
The kids had a great time, so did I. So from now on if I get offered a kids gig, I'm going to take it and use it to build an Audience who will grow up with a love of the bizarre. An audience for the future.
All is perceived through the gate of the mind.
Brynmore13
View Profile
Elite user
Australia
485 Posts

Profile of Brynmore13
By the way, none of my post should infer that I think there was a whole lot of bizarre magic in what I performed, but I think a seed of it was hiding in there.
Sparrowhwk
View Profile
Regular user
177 Posts

Profile of Sparrowhwk
Hi Bryn
It sounds like the booking went very well - I think the flow and routine-ing (don't know a better word) sounds great. From my perspective I really like how you were able to use the same props in a very different way than you might for an adult audience in a late night show.
This shows the quality of the performer and proof of the fact that PRESENTATION is the key to entertainment.
(I particularly appreciate your ability to turn things around and look at effects in a fresh way - this is the journey I am struggling with as a newbie).
I am wondering how much of this you scripted in detail before the day, and how much you did "on the fly" using your experience to adjust to the situation as it developed. (I am assuming this type of gig is not your usual fare).
Nicely done!!!
cirrus
View Profile
Inner circle
his minions made
1751 Posts

Profile of cirrus
The fun thing is that they will never look at magic the same way... You took your magic very seriously, and so did they, using props that weren't looking like magic props. I'm still getting past the magic prop stage... Although I love my cups and balls to much.
Brynmore13
View Profile
Elite user
Australia
485 Posts

Profile of Brynmore13
Sparrowhwk,

Thanks for your kind reply. Most of my magical energies have been going into designing my Witches Sabbath show, which I hope to run for a sympathetic audience on Halloween as a trial and source of feedback. Also I have had very little time to think about this gig, and spent most of the week suffering from a horrible virus along with my 22 month old son (I have another 4 month old). Today, I might be on the mend, but I though that yesterday too. Anyhow the point is, the preparation for this show consisted of some fever dreams earlier in the week, and a whole lot of rushed preparation yesterday. Not very professional, but all I could do.

This was all very much on the fly. I chose effects that were second nature, so I could concentrate on presentation. I have also been a professional educator (mainly of adults), so am very used to thinking on my feet, and terrible at learning lines. I tend to keep the theme or story in my head, but allow the delivery to vary depending on the feedback I'm getting from my audience. When it comes to bizarre, I'm still a relative newby too. But I do have a vision and a mission statement that assists my presentation.
Brynmore13
View Profile
Elite user
Australia
485 Posts

Profile of Brynmore13
Cirrus,

I told them that the rubberbands were magic rubberbands, and the balloons were magic balloons, etc. It made the h0bbsb0x invisible. The eye had them totally stumped. One little girl argued with another about how the eye was ina jar, so strings couldn't work, and even a little robot in the box wouldn't be able to accomplish it, because the eye was IN the jar, and they were OUT.

Man kids are classic.
Godzilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Tied & Untied Witches on
5316 Posts

Profile of Godzilla
Kids,are just little adults!
Wait,if you are here,we are just big kids! Smile

Sounds,like you had a blast,Brynmore!
Thanks,for the share!
"If you watch Godzilla backwards, it's about a big ass lizard who helps rebuild a half burnt-down city, then moonwalks back into the ocean"
Brynmore13
View Profile
Elite user
Australia
485 Posts

Profile of Brynmore13
I did G, much more than I thought I was going too.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Give me your children before they are 6, and I'll make them Bizarrists for life. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL