The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Kennedy 1964 Half Dollar Question (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

shakuni
View Profile
Inner circle
1169 Posts

Profile of shakuni
I purchased a few Kennedy 1964 Half Dollars recently and all of them are slightly concave on the eagle side. Is this normal?
RS1963
View Profile
Inner circle
2734 Posts

Profile of RS1963
Not that I am aware of. Are you sure that they are not counterfeit? Any 1964 half dollars I have ever had have never been as you describe. If you didn't buy online from Ebay or other such place I would suspect you may have been sold replicas. Maybe not but that would be my first impression from what you have described.
Dentian
View Profile
Loyal user
278 Posts

Profile of Dentian
Depends on what half dollars you are comparing them to, older half dollars whether silver or not all have a slight concave on the eagle side but newer ones are just flat. Im not quite sure when exactly the US mint started doing this but it seems like they started making 'flatter' half dollars around the 1990's. So anyways, the 'concave' is perfectly normal, no need to worry about it. If you are still concerned with it, post some pictures and I'll make sure for you Smile.
Kyle.E.H
View Profile
New user
33 Posts

Profile of Kyle.E.H
Just compared a '64 Kennedy and a the rest of my halves, didn't seem to notice anything of the sort, could just my coins/eyes, though.
Craig Ousterling
View Profile
Special user
585 Posts

Profile of Craig Ousterling
Measure the diameter of the coin. It should match the mint specifications exactly to the millimeter. Fake coins can be slightly larger or smaller due to the unpredictable nature of metal when it is removed from a die and cooled. This can also make a fake coin slightly concave or convex.

Diameter should be : 30.6 mm
Thickness should be : 2.15 mm
Kyle.E.H
View Profile
New user
33 Posts

Profile of Kyle.E.H
Hey Craig, I thought there was a margin of error? Like when measuring yourself, I know the mint was very precise, with their measurements, though.
Craig Ousterling
View Profile
Special user
585 Posts

Profile of Craig Ousterling
It's going to be really close to that. The margin comes in when the coins are circulated and wear down but the 64's I've seen aren't even close to the wear factor of older silver coins. If a coin measures more than that, I'd be very skeptical about its authenticity.

Shakuni, can you post a picture?
shakuni
View Profile
Inner circle
1169 Posts

Profile of shakuni
Hi Sir, I will try to measure it.

There is no point in posting a picture as the concave will not be visible in it as its very slight. It can be felt though if the coin is in hand.
Dentian
View Profile
Loyal user
278 Posts

Profile of Dentian
If the concave is very slight it is probably just how the half dollars were made before the 1990s as I mentioned earlier. I'm sure your coins are perfectly fine Smile
attken
View Profile
New user
77 Posts

Profile of attken
Hi Shakuni ,
Can you post your kennedy 1964 photo on here that we can help you check them.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Kennedy 1964 Half Dollar Question (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL