The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Tricks with keys (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

pabloinus
View Profile
Inner circle
1681 Posts

Profile of pabloinus
I bought 4 different tricks that use house keys, and all of them are "blanks", they are not cut, therefore they look odd to a spectator.
For people that havevthese type of tricks, do you asked a locksimth to cut them, to be more realistic or you don't care

Thanks
Romano911
View Profile
Loyal user
287 Posts

Profile of Romano911
I have Freakey and Keylicious, and for both I had the keys cut by a locksmith to make them more realistic. If left blank, they seem (at least to me) to come across more as props and may bring some unwanted heat on them. Just my opinion, hope it helps.
Commonly known as Mariano Blanco.
jcrabtree2007
View Profile
Special user
627 Posts

Profile of jcrabtree2007
I agree. Cut the keys. I pull my keys off my keyring when I do a trick. Why would I keep an uncut key on my keyring.
Motley Mage
View Profile
Special user
572 Posts

Profile of Motley Mage
Definitely have them cut; an uncut key--even a real one--just looks weird!
whiteoakcanyon
View Profile
Special user
899 Posts

Profile of whiteoakcanyon
I agree if they are cut they will no longer look like a prop.
pabloinus
View Profile
Inner circle
1681 Posts

Profile of pabloinus
Thank you, I will need to find a locksmith now
george1953
View Profile
Inner circle
Mallorca (Spain)
5943 Posts

Profile of george1953
You just have to have them cut or they will look odd, why would you carry blank keys around with you. just get a similar key and take them to a key copying store.
By failing to prepare, we are preparing to fail.
pabloinus
View Profile
Inner circle
1681 Posts

Profile of pabloinus
I got it, I will make then cut
Dale J. O'Neill
View Profile
Regular user
I can't believe I only have
132 Posts

Profile of Dale J. O'Neill
You might also try your local Home Depot. I got keys from them because they had a bunch of spares for re-keying door locks. They we already cut and they had a nice variety.
Twist,

Magically misdirecting you, one effect at a time.....

www.misdirectionist.com
stevemorton
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of stevemorton
A very good idea.
You could also go to your local keycutter and ask for miscut keys. You could get them very cheaply.
twistedace
View Profile
Inner circle
philadelphia
3772 Posts

Profile of twistedace
Home Depot and most hardware stores cut keys.
pabloinus
View Profile
Inner circle
1681 Posts

Profile of pabloinus
Thank you guys
Dale J. O'Neill
View Profile
Regular user
I can't believe I only have
132 Posts

Profile of Dale J. O'Neill
I just noticed my spelling error. They were, not, they we........
Twist,

Magically misdirecting you, one effect at a time.....

www.misdirectionist.com
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
I've done Sankey's "Leaving Home" quite regularly for years (did it tonight at a party a few times) Smile and have never thought to have the keys cut. Seems to be unimportant at best in regards to the specs. They are always just overwhelmingly more amazed by the effect of the key coming off and then back on to the string. I'm just sayin'. Smile

But I would also agree here that having them cut would seem to lend a bit more practical realism to them, I suppose. Perhaps a bit more important to the Magi than the specs in the greater scheme of things.
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
Dr_J_Ayala
View Profile
Inner circle
In search of Vlad Dracul and his
2169 Posts

Profile of Dr_J_Ayala
There are a lot of people that would tell you not to "sweat the small stuff" but I quite disagree. Even those little things you think may not matter, in fact, do matter.

While I agree with what Marion said in that they (audiences) are simply blown away by the magic (of course, if it is done well!) he is right in that keys being cut do add that sense of realism and practicality to them. There is a 'but': Somewhere out there is a spectator that will take notice of it (a blank key) and question it; even if they never voice it, they will question it. Does that matter? Well that all depends on the particular performer, but to me, I like to bring things as full circle as possible!
Bodgit
View Profile
New user
89 Posts

Profile of Bodgit
Thanks, stevemorton, for the tip on getting miscut keys. Been thinking about using a bunch of keys as a gag in a street show, now I know where to get them.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Tricks with keys (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL