The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Book on sleights? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

foreva.infiniti
View Profile
Regular user
6 Posts a + a 6 Posts =
116 Posts

Profile of foreva.infiniti
Is there a book out there that focuses entirely on sleights. I know most magic books cover a wide array of sleights but is there a book out there that has nothing but sleights? If not what book has the biggest collectoin of sleights. Thanks in advance.
Colors are Foreva. Numbers are Infinite. 4 every number there's a color. HEY! Eternity! Lets smoke a beer and drink some loud. But wait! I heard you was a six a plus a 6 ahhhh.
mindmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1740 Posts

Profile of mindmagic
Did you have any particular kind of sleights in mind? Cards? Coins? Ropes? Thimbles? Balls? Or everything?

Barry
foreva.infiniti
View Profile
Regular user
6 Posts a + a 6 Posts =
116 Posts

Everything minus ropes. Im focused on palm sized objects like the ones you named above.
Colors are Foreva. Numbers are Infinite. 4 every number there's a color. HEY! Eternity! Lets smoke a beer and drink some loud. But wait! I heard you was a six a plus a 6 ahhhh.
Robert P.
View Profile
Special user
Kansas
632 Posts

Profile of Robert P.
There are tricks in there as well but how about Bill Tarr's "Now You See It, Now You Don't" books? Two good books and a nice variety of sleights that focus on different objects.
foreva.infiniti
View Profile
Regular user
6 Posts a + a 6 Posts =
116 Posts

Quote:
On 2013-08-11 09:49, Robert P. wrote:
There are tricks in there as well but how about Bill Tarr's "Now You See It, Now You Don't" books? Two good books and a nice variety of sleights that focus on different objects.

Haha I actually have this book. Had it 4 awhile now its what taught me cups and balls. I have Modern Coin Magic as well in case some 1 named that because that book is full of sleights.
mindmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1740 Posts

Profile of mindmagic
The classic book that I always recommend is Hugard's "Modern Magic Manual". http://magicref.tripod.com/books/hugardmodernmagicmanual.htm
You can get it secondhand or there's a Dover reprint. Walter Gibson's Complete Illustrated Book of Close-Up Magic is also very good if you can find a copy.

Barry
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
Cooperstown, NY where bats are made from
4770 Posts

Profile of Larry Barnowsky
For cards, get Card College
For coins, get Bobo's book or Dr Rubinstein's Encyclopedia of Coin Sleights on DVD
And if you have any money left over buy one of my books Smile

Larry Smile
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Nice to see you outside of NVMS foreva.infinti! To my knowledge, there is no book that focuses exclusively on all sleights - such a book would be mammoth. I think there's another good reason: sleights are best taught in the context of routines IMHO.

But you also added that you would accept sources that contain a lot of sleights so ...

The Tarbell Course in Magic (the hardback 8 volume series), Greater Magic (practically a one volume course in magic as Richard Kaufman has stated), Card College 1 through 5, Royal Road to Card Magic. You already have Modern Coin Magic but you should also consider David Roth's Expert Coin Magic - LOTS of work there. More? Okay!!

Lewis Ganson's Routined Manipulation series, Jerry Mentzer's Card Cavalcade 1 through 5, Money Magic by Jean Hugard (paper money and perhaps the most comprehensive on the subject), Anything, and I mean ANYTHING you can get your hands on by Jon Racherbaumer - and Mr. Racherbaumer, while known mostly for cards, also covers a lot of ground with coins as well! Oh yes, even MORE:

Lewis Ganson's Teach In series: as you probably know, Ganson is considered one of magic's great teachers and the Teach In series is really a must buy. Each "teach in" focuses on a specific type of routine but the number of sleights Ganson teaches is really significant. The Complete Cups and Balls by Michael Ammar: again something you know so I am writing this comment for those new to the art. The Cups and Balls has been said by many to be THE effect to learn if you want to master sleight of hand with small, non-card objects. Michael Ammar is a great teacher and this book is a great treatise on what is perhaps the greatest effect in magic. I would also suggest studying Milt Kort's work - especially his work with dice. Speaking of dice, Marlo's Shoot the Works is perhaps the most comprehensive work on dice manipulation.

There are even more books but I am going to mention a few DVD sets that come very close to meeting your criteria.

Daryl's Encyclopedia of Card Sleights, Dr. Michael Rubenstein's Encyclopedia of Coin Sleights, Simon Lovell's Gambling Moves, Allan Ackerman's Advanced Card Control series (available as a series of downloads at Lybrary.com)

I think it's also helpful to mention that many sleights were first described in magic periodicals and thus a great resource. Many are available as complete runs in physical form such as Hugard's Magic Monthly, Apocalypse, Pentagram, etc. and a dizzying amount available now electronically. You can go two routes here: Lybrary.com, and The Miracle Factory have a lot of complete runs of periodicals. The Conjuring Arts Research Center is truly a massive resource and worth the price of admission. Complete runs include but not limited to:

ABRA, Genii, MUM, The Linking Ring, TOPS, New TOPS, and MANY more.

If you want even MORE suggestions, I'm yer huckleberry Smile

Best,
Vlad
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6135 Posts

Profile of motown
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
foreva.infiniti
View Profile
Regular user
6 Posts a + a 6 Posts =
116 Posts

Quote:
On 2013-08-12 16:07, Vlad_77 wrote:
Nice to see you outside of NVMS foreva.infinti! To my knowledge, there is no book that focuses exclusively on all sleights - such a book would be mammoth. I think there's another good reason: sleights are best taught in the context of routines IMHO.

But you also added that you would accept sources that contain a lot of sleights so ...

The Tarbell Course in Magic (the hardback 8 volume series), Greater Magic (practically a one volume course in magic as Richard Kaufman has stated), Card College 1 through 5, Royal Road to Card Magic. You already have Modern Coin Magic but you should also consider David Roth's Expert Coin Magic - LOTS of work there. More? Okay!!

Lewis Ganson's Routined Manipulation series, Jerry Mentzer's Card Cavalcade 1 through 5, Money Magic by Jean Hugard (paper money and perhaps the most comprehensive on the subject), Anything, and I mean ANYTHING you can get your hands on by Jon Racherbaumer - and Mr. Racherbaumer, while known mostly for cards, also covers a lot of ground with coins as well! Oh yes, even MORE:

Lewis Ganson's Teach In series: as you probably know, Ganson is considered one of magic's great teachers and the Teach In series is really a must buy. Each "teach in" focuses on a specific type of routine but the number of sleights Ganson teaches is really significant. The Complete Cups and Balls by Michael Ammar: again something you know so I am writing this comment for those new to the art. The Cups and Balls has been said by many to be THE effect to learn if you want to master sleight of hand with small, non-card objects. Michael Ammar is a great teacher and this book is a great treatise on what is perhaps the greatest effect in magic. I would also suggest studying Milt Kort's work - especially his work with dice. Speaking of dice, Marlo's Shoot the Works is perhaps the most comprehensive work on dice manipulation.

There are even more books but I am going to mention a few DVD sets that come very close to meeting your criteria.

Daryl's Encyclopedia of Card Sleights, Dr. Michael Rubenstein's Encyclopedia of Coin Sleights, Simon Lovell's Gambling Moves, Allan Ackerman's Advanced Card Control series (available as a series of downloads at Lybrary.com)

I think it's also helpful to mention that many sleights were first described in magic periodicals and thus a great resource. Many are available as complete runs in physical form such as Hugard's Magic Monthly, Apocalypse, Pentagram, etc. and a dizzying amount available now electronically. You can go two routes here: Lybrary.com, and The Miracle Factory have a lot of complete runs of periodicals. The Conjuring Arts Research Center is truly a massive resource and worth the price of admission. Complete runs include but not limited to:

ABRA, Genii, MUM, The Linking Ring, TOPS, New TOPS, and MANY more.

If you want even MORE suggestions, I'm yer huckleberry Smile

Best,
Vlad

Thanks fellow herbivore I'll pm you for even more info my huckleberry, and I usually don't venture outside of NVMS but if I do its usually only if Im seekin specific information or give someone advice/help Eternity
JustCraig
View Profile
New user
48 Posts

Profile of JustCraig
Counts, Cuts, Moves and Subtleties by Jerry Mentzer is a small book that focuses purely on (as you would expect from the title) Counts, Cuts, Moves and Subtleties.

Things such as the Biddle Move, Hamman Count, Olram Subtlety, Downs Change, Elmsley Count, Jordan Count etc.

You can get it brand new for just a few $ and well worth the investment in my opinion.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Book on sleights? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL