The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » What magician would you be afraid to fight? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Quote:
On 2013-08-17 16:30, mastermindreader wrote:
Tony Giorgio. After all, he was one of the guys who killed Luca Brasi.

Nice call! I just watched this legendary film last night; I must have watched this film 15 times in my life and it is simply a masterpiece. Signore Giorgio certainly looked like a "made guy" and nobody messes with a made guy. Smile

Something I finally noticed last night that would not have happened. At Connie's wedding when Santino goes out to investigate the law enforcement people taking down license plate numbers, he states "godd**n FBI don't respect nothin'" The thing is, J. Edgar Hoover never recognized nor admitted the existence of organized crime. At the time of the wedding scene, 1945, Hoover was concentrating on communist activity. Actual investigations into Cosa Nostra were done at the state level if at all at that time; it's why that period was considered the golden age for Cosa Nostra. (I still think Santino was right though Smile )
MagicBus
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Michigan
2869 Posts

Profile of MagicBus
Barry Mitchell used to be all buffed up- nice guy as he is- looked like for sure he was pumping iron and could probably beat my brains in.

I saw Ice McDonald once get all jazzed up a magic lecture at the FCM international while speaking on ethics and other related sensitive issues (like "encouraging" us to practice more- ok- barking orders at us to practice more), I am still too scared to even think about doing something unethical in the future in order not to upset him. When Ice separates two large parrots, he really s-e-p-a-r-a-t-e-s them in a semi-violent forceful manner.

The most physical illusionist I ever saw in my lifetime was Bob Kramer and Company (Judy) out of Grand Rapids- Bob looked like a whirling tornado when he literally ran through his huge illusion show. He yanked, pulled and threw away the swords out of his sword box like the inside of it was on fire with his mother inside. Of course, he whipped through Abbott's Cremation effect in about 60 seconds too.

I'd don't think I'd want to mess with Chris Capehart either, my guess is he knows how to handle hecklers or snotty kids with just a turn of his grinning eyebrow.
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17161 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
How about me? Yeah I'm an old man, but one of Allen Steen's first generation black belts class of '68. A good number of major regional and national titles in the 60's and 70's, 1976-1978 NAKBA Light-heavyweight kickboxing champion (undefeated in 17 fights). 58 years training. Black belts in Judo (USJA), Batto Jutsu, Kobudo, Aikido (fugakukai and yoshinkai), three jujitsu systems, inherited the Okinawan Dai NiGojuryu system from its founder, Ranked 8th dan by the Korean Tae Kwon Do Moo Duk Kwan Assn., and ranked by Allen Steen and the American Karate Black Belt Association- Chin Sook Hage Kwan as 10th Dan. Executive Director and member of the High Dan Board of the AKBBA-CSHK since 1981. (http://www.akbba.com)
I'm old, but I still train and can still thump a few heads.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
Russell Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Hampshire, England
1108 Posts

Profile of Russell Davidson
Peter Nardi looks like he could dish out a pummeling if you upset him.
Circusman
View Profile
Special user
Kent, England.
555 Posts

Profile of Circusman
Quote:
On 2013-08-20 20:34, Father Photius wrote:
How about me? Yeah I'm an old man, but one of Allen Steen's first generation black belts class of '68. A good number of major regional and national titles in the 60's and 70's, 1976-1978 NAKBA Light-heavyweight kickboxing champion (undefeated in 17 fights). 58 years training. Black belts in Judo (USJA), Batto Jutsu, Kobudo, Aikido (fugakukai and yoshinkai), three jujitsu systems, inherited the Okinawan Dai NiGojuryu system from its founder, Ranked 8th dan by the Korean Tae Kwon Do Moo Duk Kwan Assn., and ranked by Allen Steen and the American Karate Black Belt Association- Chin Sook Hage Kwan as 10th Dan. Executive Director and member of the High Dan Board of the AKBBA-CSHK since 1981. (http://www.akbba.com)

Bring it on Daddy, I've got a black belt in Origami. So there !
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
You guys have gone through the concealed carry thread right?

Those guys I want on my side in a fight to the death.

Or when the zombie apocalypse hits! Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
Everything's gone to MMA these days. I did boxing club at my school and the majority of the training was boxing for MMA, so we spent as much time on Thai kicks and take down defense as we did on actual boxing. I just wanted to get punched in the face with a referee there for safety, there are better places to train grappling than a boxing club.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

Profile of General_Magician
Quote:

Did you ever know a guy named Charles Davenport (his buddies called him Tom, by his middle name)? He's my old man (passed away now). When he was in the service he was either the Air Force judo champ or an all service champ in judo according to my mother. My old man was never a magician but he liked to watch me do a few magic tricks when I was a kid and encourage me to perform for the family at family reunions. I saw his black belt that he got from long ago and it had Japanese (or what appeared to be Japanese writing, definitely an Asian language) writing on it (then again, he might not have learned Judo from an Asian instructor, I read that in many Asian countries, they don't believe in the belt ranking systems, but I don't know and there is a lot I don't know about my dad's younger years but I did see he had a black belt with writing on it written in an Asian language).

Mother says he learned it while he was stationed either in Korea or Okinawa and I guess he learned it from the local Koreans or Japanese in the area. An older cousin of mine also mentioned that he learned judo from one of the local Asians, have to talk to him again about that. Never said much about his judo days when I was young but when I got into wrestling in high school he taught me a few moves he knew. My mother tells me he was going to compete in the Pan Am games but went to Vietnam instead.
"Never fear shadows. They simply mean there is a light shining somewhere nearby." -unknown

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
Bobby Maverick
View Profile
Loyal user
252 Posts

Profile of Bobby Maverick
It wouldnt matter of it were a magician or not...I'm afraid to fight. Not afraid to take a beating. But afraid to fight because of the outcome.
I have been beaten beyond recognition, stabbed multiple times, and shot. This lends me to a level of fear and understanding that just makes me ask "is my life in danger, or is my family's life in danger?" If not in mortal danger, I'm walking or running away. Just away.
If I am made to feel like I or my family is in mortal danger, then it's not about "fighting" it's about killing before I or my family is killed. By any means possible. The end. No debate. No recourse or conscience. This is the natural way of things.
General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

Profile of General_Magician
Quote:
Bobby Maverick wrote:

But afraid to fight because of the outcome.

Not only the outcome of being beaten, shot or stabbed, but you also have to consider the legal outcome and the costs associated with that aspect as well. Even if you didn't start the fight, the cops might still arrest you and you could spend time in jail as well as paying court costs and fines and/or having to hire a lawyer to defend you in court. Or, you could be sued if you beat the guy in the ensuing fight for medical bills, pain and suffering, emotional distress. And if you got injured, you got your own medical bills to pay and medical bills aren't cheap, especially if you don't have any insurance.

Even if you are a bad ass who can fight, there is no guarantee the other guy will fight fair plus, even if you give the guy a beat down you could still face the possibility of arrest and being sued civilly for the beat down you gave. It's always better to prevent a fight if at all possible because once it starts, anything can happen and the consequences can be astronomical.
"Never fear shadows. They simply mean there is a light shining somewhere nearby." -unknown

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Yes, never 'fight fair' for real, do whatever to survive. Run or claw like animals do, survival is everything. Gun, knife, surface to air missile or whatever... Run, hide, vanish, fly or what have you... Smile

But to be fair to the OP, I think he meant a few rounds in the ring with a referee. Smile
lynnef
View Profile
Inner circle
1407 Posts

Profile of lynnef
The Amazing Jonathan is not only big, but appears to be completely nuts! (good for the show, however). BTW, loved the references to magician and boxer Muhammed Ali... he's in a few of those magic magazines, appearing at conventions. Lynn
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Quote:

Father,

You know *I* can't fight you because we Orthodox aren't allowed to go around punching our priests! Smile That said, minus the collar, with your martial arts credentials, I wouldn't tangle with you. Smile Besides, I only did Tang Soo Do so you out number me in belts - and mastery. My mama didn't raise no fool.

Best,
Vlad
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
Because I've taken punches I'm no longer afraid of taking punches.
Still, when I fight I like it to be legal and officiated. Street fighting can lead to prison and I'm no fan of that.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Quote:
On 2013-08-26 15:31, critter wrote:
Because I've taken punches I'm no longer afraid of taking punches.
Still, when I fight I like it to be legal and officiated. Street fighting can lead to prison and I'm no fan of that.

Yup, better in the ring. Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » What magician would you be afraid to fight? (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL