The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Review - Japan Ingenious A Compendium - Steve Cohen / Richard Kaufman (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
magomago
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of magomago
¿how many stand up items in the book?
¿How many non card/non coin items?
Thank you
duanebarry
View Profile
Special user
883 Posts

Profile of duanebarry
There's also a review by David Britland in the September issue of Genii.
isis_izumi
View Profile
New user
Tokyo
50 Posts

Profile of isis_izumi
Nice review! Thanks
Shane Cobalt
View Profile
New user
91 Posts

Profile of Shane Cobalt
I'm a huge fan of Japanese magic. Both previous books by Richard Kaufman, New Magic of Japan and Five Times Five, contain some of the most creative and unique magic tricks I have ever read and performed.

I recently bought this from my local brick and mortar shop and am blown away with it. If you liked the other two books you will love this. The Elevator Illusion and vanishing wedding band rocked my world and this is just from a quick flip through. I am certain I will find more.

I can not recommend this highly enough! It is the type of magic you won't find anywhere else. Buy and enjoy.
Peo Olsson
View Profile
Inner circle
Stockholm, Sweden
3260 Posts

Profile of Peo Olsson
I just orded this book from a dealer here in europé.
Pictured to the left my hero and me during FISM 2006 in Stockholm.
Peo Olsson
View Profile
Inner circle
Stockholm, Sweden
3260 Posts

Profile of Peo Olsson
Vlad,
I got both Japan Ingenious and High Caliber today from Markku, it took only a week for me to get them.
Pictured to the left my hero and me during FISM 2006 in Stockholm.
Dallas Robbins
View Profile
Regular user
105 Posts

Profile of Dallas Robbins
After being on the fence, I went ahead and ordered. The video interview with Kaufmann on the Penguin site is what pushed me to order. I was afraid it might be too much advanced stuff, but it seems to have a wide variety. And just the breadth of type of effects really gets me excited. Can't wait to dig in.
Blindside785
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, WA
4541 Posts

Profile of Blindside785
I got quite the deal on the Café for this, $38 shipped. I'm very excited, I like seeing what the east has to offer, they have quite a different frame of mind when it comes to magic.
algebraic
View Profile
Inner circle
1008 Posts

Profile of algebraic
I look forward to receiving my copy this week!
challengedmichael
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of challengedmichael
I gotta quit reading these great reviews.
Blindside785
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, WA
4541 Posts

Profile of Blindside785
I got mine yesterday, such a great variety of magic.
Dallas Robbins
View Profile
Regular user
105 Posts

Profile of Dallas Robbins
Been reading through this over the weekend - lots of good stuff. Just did Four Aces Triumph for a couple friends, and it fooled them. Instead of spreading the cards at the end, I put the pack in the spec's hand, snap fingers, and have them spread through the cards themselves. Went over very well.
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6135 Posts

Profile of motown
The title of this book says it all.

The material contained between it's covers by many of Japan's leading magicians is just that...Ingenious!

All one needs to do is look at the names of the contributors, Kuniyasu Fujiwara, Tomo Maeda, Dr. Sawa, Hiro Sakai, Masao Atsukawa, Kenichi Kuroki and Shigeo Takagi to name a few, and you know you're getting the best of the best.

One of the great things about this book is how varied the material is. Card magic, coin & bill magic, rope magic, business cards, rubber bands and much much more.

A few of my favorites, and there are many, include Ryu Susato's Tokyo Penetration, where one bill penetrates another; Dr. Sawa's Marvelous Coin to Ring; Kenichi Kuroki's Torn & Restored 2000, a great bill restoration; The Angle of the Hypothesis, a cool idea using the Out-to-Lunch principle to bend a spoon; Kuniyasu Fujiwara's Slice, an effect where a ribbon is restored after being cut along with a card; and Hiro Sakai's Inception, a cool illusion with a bill.

This book is filled with gems and is easily the best one I've read in a long long time.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6135 Posts

Profile of motown
Japan Ingenious is one of the best books to come out in a long time.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
Raj Suman
View Profile
Veteran user
318 Posts

Profile of Raj Suman
It's my book of the year. The strange approach to the dust jacket sets the mood before you even open the book. Thanks to Richard Kaufman for taking the time to bring this piece of genius to the magic crowd.
Richard Kaufman
View Profile
Inner circle
2532 Posts

Profile of Richard Kaufman
Regarding the postage: we're not making extra money or trying to stiff anyone outside the US. We negotiated a special rate of $5 a pound for shipping outside the US with a private company. That's less than the United States Post Office charges. Postage has become a real problem, so I can understand why people outside of which the country in which a book is printed prefer eBooks. Eventually I'll do all of my titles as ebooks, but I honestly prefer WRITING the books than dealing the business travails of turning everything in eBooks. I like to write. Smile

Sometimes when I take a dealer table at a convention outside the US, I'll bring a suitcase full of books. Costs me nothing because I'm an elite flyer and the folks at the convention don't have to pay any postage. Used to do that at Blackpool, but banned from that now.
Ado
View Profile
Inner circle
New York City
1033 Posts

Profile of Ado
I should probably get a copy, I love the work of Tomohiro Maeda.
By the way, how comes Richard isn't a VIP here?

P!
Martino
View Profile
Special user
Manchester, UK
928 Posts

Profile of Martino
Richard,

Will you be at McMillan's Convention in London again this year?

Regards,

Martin.
"There's a difference between not knowing how something is done and knowing it can't be done!" - Simon Aronson
papawemba
View Profile
Special user
656 Posts

Profile of papawemba
I really enjoy "One hand reverse challenge" !
A different kind of card trick. impromptu, quickies and puzzling.
But more a juggle trick.

Nicolas
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Review - Japan Ingenious A Compendium - Steve Cohen / Richard Kaufman (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL