The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Workers forum getting lame? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
I think a lot of people don't just use the search engine because they are looking for some type of interaction with others. I mean face it, with the new search engine and all the other resources out there besides the Café we should never have to post a thing unless a brand new move is somehow invented. The information is out there. But times change and ideas about usefulness of certain sleights change so we will always have a new twist on an old subject. I also believe that until you are a "participating member" you don't really know how to ask a question or start an online discussion that is put in a way the "more seasoned members" are used to (or would rather have it put as in - No "best of" or "whats your favorite").

Everyone was new at one time here. I try to remember that when a new person jumps on. They often don't know how the forum works and some are just new to the forum, not magic, and may have tons of real world experience to share. Some are very experienced with forums, but don't know a lot about magic yet and are just here beginning their journey. Some are new to both and just want to know that move that (David Blaine, Criss Angel, Dynamo...) did on TV the other night (not knowing that many of us could care less that it was even on TV). I also see, from time to time, people posting in a subforum like The Workers or Nothing Up My Sleeve, things that are totally off topic but this is where they felt the most comfortable and has regular members whose opinions they respect and trust.

As always, feel free not to participate in a thread that has no interest to you. I find that to be the best solution for me anyway. It is not that hard to skip over 1 or 2 threads to get to one I want to follow.
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
orchid666
View Profile
Special user
u.k
626 Posts

Profile of orchid666
Howdy. I've been a member for some years now, but only in the last year have I started posting. ( didn't really like the place when I first joined. I can see now that I may have joined during an ' arguements special' week though!). Smile
Anyway, when I re explored the Café, I quickly made some good friends, got involved in some great discussions, Sussed out who the bullies were as to not get involved with them, and started enjoying it how it should be!
Apologies if any of you have noticed this, but in the last few months, I've started a thread almost weekly, and even though the subjects are interesting, it's mainly to try and get a conversation going! When I logged on yesterday, I saw almost the same list of topics as before the weekend. I realise that everyone is busy and if anything like the uk, working all hours to make ends meet, but a simple intelligent thread can soon turn into a lively and fun debate.
The workers has been better than it's been of late, but it's up to us to keep it as good as we'd like it.
Vlad-a live chat area would be amazing. Maybe if enough people suggested it, it might be considered?
Kneill.
Ihop
View Profile
Inner circle
Glen Spey, NY
1604 Posts

Profile of Ihop
Quote:
On Apr 1, 2014, paisa23 wrote:

However what this page does need or I am not aware of is a

"Hey I'm in town in search of a.... section" as in Someone from the states going overseas looking for magic hot spots or state to state. Something like that. For example I might be going to Ireland, I would love to go see some card guys out there.

Paisa
I think what you're talking about is
"The Marquee Says"
Ihor
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7293 Posts

Profile of paisa23
See IHOP!! IM guilty of not checking everything. Thank you...
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Quote:
On Apr 1, 2014, orchid666 wrote:
Howdy. I've been a member for some years now, but only in the last year have I started posting. ( didn't really like the place when I first joined. I can see now that I may have joined during an ' arguements special' week though!). Smile
Anyway, when I re explored the Café, I quickly made some good friends, got involved in some great discussions, Sussed out who the bullies were as to not get involved with them, and started enjoying it how it should be!
Apologies if any of you have noticed this, but in the last few months, I've started a thread almost weekly, and even though the subjects are interesting, it's mainly to try and get a conversation going! When I logged on yesterday, I saw almost the same list of topics as before the weekend. I realise that everyone is busy and if anything like the uk, working all hours to make ends meet, but a simple intelligent thread can soon turn into a lively and fun debate.
The workers has been better than it's been of late, but it's up to us to keep it as good as we'd like it.
Vlad-a live chat area would be amazing. Maybe if enough people suggested it, it might be considered?
Kneill.

Maybe it would be an interesting idea for me to create a thread asking if members would be interested in a live chat area. I used to be on the Bryan Dean IRC chat and we had some interesting people on there. Thing is, The Café is so huge and caters to so many interests that the "where" to create the gauging interest thread is a head scratcher. There are parts of the Magic Café I have never visited and likely will never visit and I suspect the same holds true for others. I mostly hang out here, at Deckless, Shuffled Not Stirred, It's All in the Cards, The Good, The Bad, and the Garbage, Secret Sessions, and Not Very Magical Still. I occasionally visit the Good News section just because I am the only Eastern Orthodox that seems to visit it, and I'll lurk in the Gambling Spot - people like AMcD and Cagliostro and others there create some great threads but, what would I have to contribute there - I'm a hack and these guys would howl with derisive laughter. (Many here do but as least I feel a bit more prepared Smile ).

I used to be a chat moderator and it's interesting and mostly fun "work." What I like about real time chat is that it is synchronous and ideas can spring up spontaneously. So the asynchronous nature of the Café's boards combined with a chat would be a hell of a great synergy. I've actually found too that in real time chats - when properly moderated - that nasty conflicts tend to be minimized because a team of moderators can easily deal with people wanting to grief.

I like what Poof-Daddy wrote about trying to remember what it was like to be a newbie here and I try to do the same and I think many of us do. Those first 25 or so posts are kind of intimidating because you want to show that you are serious about the art and at least for me, I didn't want to ask too many idiotic questions or write awful posts. [I should add however that now I do ask idiotic questions AND write a lot of tedious posts!:p ].

Anyhow, I'll puzzle out where to create the thread then place the link in every section of the Café. I am hopeful the admins will allow that and then if they see that there is enough interest, a chat could be implemented and it's not a hard thing to do at all.

Slainte,
Vlad

PS: Congrats man on your release with BBM! Smile
fonda57
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
3080 Posts

Profile of fonda57
What I meant about the bashing at conjurenation is that they bash Café members, or they did when I was a member years ago. I was banned from that site years ago for reasons never explained to me. I always got along with everybody there, just a weird place.

So here I am bashing them, makes me sort of a hypocrite. Life goes on.
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Quote:
On Apr 2, 2014, fonda57 wrote:
What I meant about the bashing at conjurenation is that they bash Café members, or they did when I was a member years ago. I was banned from that site years ago for reasons never explained to me. I always got along with everybody there, just a weird place.

So here I am bashing them, makes me sort of a hypocrite. Life goes on.

Mike,

I know you well enough that if you "bash" it isn't without good reason. When I was a member of CN I wasn't aware of The Café and in fact had learned of it from Seraph who is a member here - and he's a good guy as is Tony Cabral. But, when I had lost my password, Chris sent me the info I needed to rejoin CN and never took the subsequent step to reinstate me. I have no idea why as I don't recall getting in a furball with anyone there. Maybe I am just too entrenched here?

Anyhow, you're not a hypocrite Mike and even though my Pirates won their home opener against the Cubbies, I still love Chicageo! Smile

Slainte,
Vlad

PS: If you are a White Sox fan, then forget the bit about the Cubs and congrats to the White Sox for their opening day win!
fonda57
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
3080 Posts

Profile of fonda57
Vlad, you ought to come on over this way and hang out, lots of magic going on around here.
darho
View Profile
New user
Göttingen, Germany
75 Posts

Profile of darho
It's getting lame because I'm here now Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Workers forum getting lame? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL