The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » When You're Not Equipped and someone asks you "Float This!" (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
mcmc
View Profile
Veteran user
310 Posts

Profile of mcmc
Don't know if this is ethically proper to ask, but I'm sure you'll tell me: how in the world do you do a levitation with the TT? do you classic palm it, open end down?

This would be quite neat to learn.
Eirik
View Profile
Special user
Oslo
879 Posts

Profile of Eirik
Quote:
On 2004-12-15 20:16, mcmc wrote:
Don't know if this is ethically proper to ask, but I'm sure you'll tell me: how in the world do you do a levitation with the TT? do you classic palm it, open end down?

this would be quite neat to learn.

I think Steve Fearson has something on print about this, but to be honest: floating a card/bill using a TT doesn't work out half as good as the flotations you can achieve using loops...

-e-
...As long as i`m not a world-champion at anything, the great reactions of doin` magic will do just fine.....
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7293 Posts

Profile of paisa23
O.K. I just got on here to read a little. But Jesus did I learn a lot just on this post. DBZ everything these guys are saying should be in a book. It's a lot of great advise. I have been performing for money and fun for over 8 years and I learned a lot from just reading this post. Don't take anything these guys say to heart or offensive they really are trying to help.
Clarioneer
View Profile
Special user
Ferndown, Dorset, UK
624 Posts

Profile of Clarioneer
Just a thought but how about. No but could try it with this coin, fake transfer - hold you hand up high and ask them to watch it as you move your eyes up. What do you mean you can't see it it's there? Point high up - move eyes higher up - there it goes - then slowly down over to their shoulder or wherever you put it earlier when they all looked up... impromptu enough Smile
catch you later

Clarioneer
jrandcc
View Profile
Regular user
New York
141 Posts

Profile of jrandcc
For me when I'm in the situation of someone wantingme to float something, I either do a muscle pass, which I've been told is not a trick, but gets great reactions. And also as been said its always good ot have a few loops on you at all times.
tiberius magus
View Profile
New user
70 Posts

Profile of tiberius magus
This will depend on how you present your levitations, but when I'm asked to repeat a performance when I'm ill-equipped, I put the card/bill/whatever in the same position as I would for the levitation and concentrate on it really hard, only to have nothing happen. Often I even do this while hooked up. Look at it from the spectator's point of view: floating an object in midair should be extremely difficult. Failing once or twice will only make the successes they've seen even more amazing, and keep the effect from being diminished. If I always just floated things at the drop of a hat, it seems to me that the effect would be greatly cheapened. Forget for a moment that you know the secret. You're levitating an object in midair!!! That should be really , really hard, and you should probably fail sometimes. The same reasoning goes for taking the time to establish the difficulty of the effect when performing it, and for keeping the actual float brief and to the point: clearly establish the free-floating state, then end it and look very tired. Just my two cents.

sincerely,
tiberius magus
Eirik
View Profile
Special user
Oslo
879 Posts

Profile of Eirik
Agree with tiberius, It's all in presentation.
There are several ways to get out of the "do it again" requests, I tend to patter that "there might still be some static electricity left", and I do an animation like erectile bill, spinning spoon, balancing straw etc.

BTW, A funny application (at least in a bar setting) is to take three straws, put one inside the other, between the first and the second straw you secretly put a bit of your Finn Jon`s extended loops, you put the loop twice around your middle finger and you now have a "impromptu" small illusion floating cane.

-e-
...As long as i`m not a world-champion at anything, the great reactions of doin` magic will do just fine.....
Cpontz
View Profile
Special user
Daupin PA
553 Posts

Profile of Cpontz
Loops all the way! There are lots of tips on loops in other theads.

Good luck and remember, nothing takes the place of experience. The more you do these things, the more outs you can come up with.
RonCalhoun
View Profile
Special user
Independence, KY USA
599 Posts

Profile of RonCalhoun
Quote:
On 2003-12-10 23:06, Dbzkid999 wrote:
Hey guys,

I've done a lot of IT performances before.
After I did the Hummingbird card, at a certain time later, when people see me doing card/coin tricks, they'll ask me "Go Float This Card or Coin!"

What are some excuses I can… get out of this?

Thanks.

Yes, I understand your problem, BUT you're in charge.

The nice thing about close-up is you perform it, when you want, for whom you want, when you want and then only if you want.

If you're having people follow you around at a party then leave it to the last thing you do.

Go outside. Start the car. Back it up to the door. Go back in and collect the check. Then as your ready to walk out the door turn around and announce, “hey everyone one last thing.”

Then blow their socks off.

The above is tongue in cheek, but I do advice only doing something this strong at the end of your gig. Actually, it's a great ending. Gather a ton of people around you, do the deed, and leave 'em wanting more.
jezza
View Profile
Elite user
469 Posts

Profile of jezza
Ask for a coin (they think your going to float it ) and do a false pass and vanish it (they are completly off gaurd for a vanish and the reaction usually is enough for them to forget about the floating)
gkfreed
View Profile
Special user
532 Posts

Profile of gkfreed
My advice is that when a spectator asks you to perform something you are not prepared to do.....Don't.
Erdnase27
View Profile
Inner circle
2505 Posts

Profile of Erdnase27
I'd just say no spares a lot of time, if he is only there to wreck a audience or saying *** like that I don't really care I just say no.. "oow you are not a real magician" probably not whatever cheers mate!

Performance I mean sorry I'm dutch Smile
Nicholas
View Profile
Special user
I predict that I now have
900 Posts

Profile of Nicholas
Go along with the request and ask for a bill, the larger denomination the better. Then, just put it in your pocket. When asked about it, just say that you just "floated a loan." Then, run! (Just a little Meadville, PA humor.)
Magicmaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1235 Posts

Profile of Magicmaven
This might be a little difficult, by why don't you just learn the Muscle Pass. It's the coin that falls up, hehe. This is really difficult, but master it, and you can make a coin in one hand "fall" up 11 inches into the opposite hand. It's very impressive.
rmaxgoodwin.com
https://rmaxgoodwin.com/
Ontrack
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of Ontrack
I usually tell them..."Maybe in a little bit...let me show you this..." I almost always keep something with me...or use something commonly available.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » When You're Not Equipped and someone asks you "Float This!" (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL