The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Bummed, my Cups don't do a move I need (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

skyfire
View Profile
Regular user
136 Posts

Profile of skyfire
For years I have just been a hobbyist with magic, and recently I just got the bug for the Cups and Balls. I bought a set of Bazar De Magia De Luxe Combo Brass Cups I thought these would be great to practice and see how I would be at the Cups and Balls.

Here's the problem I just sat down to learn a routine and when I get to where I nest the gimmick ball on top of a cup, and I place the Chop Cup on top of the nested ball and Cup, the Chop Cup is not able to pick up the gimmick ball because there is so much air between cup and ball. (it does not nest low enough) Did anyone else with these cups ever experience this? I can't see how I can set the cup down any differently to make this move work.

These actually are pretty good cups to learn on, except for this fact.

So on my next purchase is there some wording I should be looking for to know that the cups nest properly to do this move? I am back in the market looking for another Combo set.

Thanks for any answers, or suggestions.
cirrus
View Profile
Inner circle
his minions made
1751 Posts

Profile of cirrus
Learn another routine... adapt to what your set is able to do instead of buying the set that does all the work for you.
afinemesh
View Profile
Inner circle
Senseless gibberish that amounts to
2621 Posts

Profile of afinemesh
Buy a larger set of chopped balls!
"I've always been mental, I'm sure of it" Boris Pocus Smile

"Someday we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny". . .Bruce Springsteen
JamieUK
View Profile
Regular user
136 Posts

Profile of JamieUK
Turn the stack upside down?
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
All my suggestions have already been made (above) Smile
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
skyfire
View Profile
Regular user
136 Posts

Profile of skyfire
Actually thanks to all that answered. I guess I had a brain fart for a second, thinking there was only one way to skin a cat. I should have probably moved forward with the same routine, but find a way to work around that little speed bump. Like Cirrus said above, I will just have to adapt to what my set is able to do. I just happened to catch another magician do a sort of a side swipe move where he stole a nested ball and had the momentum keep the ball in the cup, and roll down inside it. All answers above were very good, and I appreciated them.

By the way, I am still in the market for another Cup and Ball set. (or two)...
pabloinus
View Profile
Inner circle
1682 Posts

Profile of pabloinus
Bazar de magica cups are very good for the price, I think you need a little larger balls, look at RNT2.com for balls and cups
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
3017 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
Donnie at RNT2 or Brett Sherwood (depending on how much you want to spend - both are true masters and the prices are a bargain.)
RNT2 sells balls that are adjustable to you can get the right fit with the chop cup.
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6750 Posts

Profile of videoman
Johnson cups and balls, with an additional Johnson chop cup and using the balls supplied with them will accomplish what you are trying to do.
vmendoza
View Profile
Elite user
Farmingdale. New Jersey
430 Posts

Profile of vmendoza
Give the stack a little shake.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Get your post count up to 50 so you can visit the Secret Sessions, and someone will post an answer there that will help you.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Donnie Buckley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Cleveland, Ohio
1123 Posts

Profile of Donnie Buckley
Quote:
On Sep 2, 2013, skyfire wrote:

Here's the problem I just sat down to learn a routine and when I get to where I nest the gimmick ball on top of a cup, and I place the Chop Cup on top of the nested ball and Cup, the Chop Cup is not able to pick up the gimmick ball because there is so much air between cup and ball.

This is a common problem with Combo Cup sets and I have a short list of solutions:

1. Gimmicks in cups are polarized. Gimmicks in balls are polarized. When you place your gimmicked ball on the saddle of a cup, getting ready to perform the "pick up", make certain the ball is oriented correctly and doesn't have to do a 180 degree spin to attract to the cup. This small attention to detail alone can save a lot of problems. If you want to know which side of the ball should be UP, put the ball on the saddle of the gimmicked cup. The side that is UP will attract to the inside of the cup.

2. Push the stack forward. When you have the ball nested between the cups and you want to make certain that the "pick up" works, just giving the stack a nudge (pushing forward on the bottom cup) is usually enough to roll the ball around in the nest and move it closer to the gimmick's field. You don't have to shake the stack, just give it a little push forward.

3. Use a larger set of balls. There is a relationship between the attic space and the ball diameter. Not all ball diameter's will work when using gimmicks. When the ball is too small, there is too much space between the gimmicks for them to work.

4. Use an Adjustable Ball. Make certain you have the proper orientation so you get the maximum strength - then tone it down to a level where attraction is comfortable enough, but the "pick up" move described above still functions.

I only mention this short list because I've recently had a lot of success with #2 above, it's new to me and I want to share it with you.
ZachDavenport
View Profile
Inner circle
Last time I posted I had one less than
1196 Posts

Profile of ZachDavenport
Quote:
On Sep 3, 2013, skyfire wrote:
Actually thanks to all that answered. I guess I had a brain fart for a second, thinking there was only one way to skin a cat. I should have probably moved forward with the same routine, but find a way to work around that little speed bump. Like Cirrus said above, I will just have to adapt to what my set is able to do. I just happened to catch another magician do a sort of a side swipe move where he stole a nested ball and had the momentum keep the ball in the cup, and roll down inside it. All answers above were very good, and I appreciated them.

By the way, I am still in the market for another Cup and Ball set. (or two)...

I use the side swipe move you mentioned in my routine to do just what you are asking without gimmicks. I don't know why, but I like to keep some tricks pure sleight of hand.
Reality is a real killjoy.
Peckham
View Profile
Loyal user
225 Posts

Profile of Peckham
A great Combo set that I use and works well for this type of move are El-Duco's Golden Combo Cups. I specifically purchased them to perform Gary Ouellet's Two Goblets Routine. I'm not sure if they are still manufactured after his passing.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
El Duco's cups were good for that move, but that's about it. Frankly, they were odd-looking and did not nest well. The first combo cups were made by Morrissey. They were designed specifically to do the particular move in question. Herb Morrissey basically invented the combo cup concept, as far as I have been able to determine.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Peckham
View Profile
Loyal user
225 Posts

Profile of Peckham
Agreed Bill. I was unable to find a morrisey set and one of my golden unicorns that I have been searching for ages was the set that Camirand Academy specifically manufactured for Gary's routine. I was hoping Auke Van Dokkum made a combo set, but I was told no. One of his brass sets was tall and narrow which is required for the Ouellet routine. I still might buy a set and "glue" a magnet into it and I can always use the other two cups for Tommy Wonders routine.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Bummed, my Cups don't do a move I need (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL