The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Where does the duck go? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

FedericoFitzko
View Profile
New user
Bergamo, Italy
21 Posts

Profile of FedericoFitzko
Hello all
I'm building a where does the duck go illusion and it's nearly finished, I only have to finish the top of the table that is going to "receive" the "load". I've seen two main ways so far to do this, one with a spandex top, and another with a mechanical table top, where a part of the top of the table lowers itself when touched. Both have advantages and disadvantages, for example the mechanical table top could be blocked in some way for examination, instead the spandex top is mutch easyer to build and more resistant. My question is: In your opinion, which one should I use?
Thx for the replies
Federico
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
The traditional way was to use elastic strips to simulate cage bars. But, it seems as if your design will appear to be a solid top. My preference would be the mechanical top. This can be worked with springs, spring hinges, spring rollers, or probably even counterweights. Spandex is a quick fix, but it will eventually lose its elasticity and begin to sag.

The word "examination" would never enter my vocabulary for this illusion.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
john wills
View Profile
Special user
939 Posts

Profile of john wills
That's my question also: WHY should the the table(-top) be examined??
I have never seen that kind of demonstration/performing.
A table IS solid (an assumption) in the mind of the audience. So why you have to prove that?
It's a (nasty) magicians way of thinking......
FedericoFitzko
View Profile
New user
Bergamo, Italy
21 Posts

Quote:
On 2013-09-07 12:28, Michael Baker wrote:
The traditional way was to use elastic strips to simulate cage bars. But, it seems as if your design will appear to be a solid top. My preference would be the mechanical top. This can be worked with springs, spring hinges, spring rollers, or probably even counterweights. Spandex is a quick fix, but it will eventually lose its elasticity and begin to sag.

The word "examination" would never enter my vocabulary for this illusion.

Thanks Michael for your quick answer.
Yeah, examination is a bit too mutch, I ment that when blocked the table top wont go down if a heavy load is put on it, to prove that is solid.
I think that for the solid top some elastic rope attached to the movable part will do the trick, or, as you said, 4 counterweights in the legs.
Since I'm building two of them, a wooden one which is an "experiment", and a metal one, which is the definitive one, I think I'm going to try bot the spandex and the counterweights mechanism.
Other ideas? Smile
FedericoFitzko
View Profile
New user
Bergamo, Italy
21 Posts

Quote:
On 2013-09-07 14:49, john wills wrote:
That's my question also: WHY should the the table(-top) be examined??
I have never seen that kind of demonstration/performing.
A table IS solid (an assumption) in the mind of the audience. So why you have to prove that?
It's a (nasty) magicians way of thinking......

As I sad the word examination is too mutch...The idea is that I put on the table (at the beginning of the performance, when I introduce the duck and the prop) a heavy object like a duck bucket without saying anithing, deleting any doubt of suspicius audience members.
john wills
View Profile
Special user
939 Posts

Profile of john wills
OK that's the right way of thinking: place an object on it, before using the table.
By the way: you're talking about elastic cord. But you can also search for
flat strokes of elastic.
You can find that in specialized shops (for needles and knitting etc). In
earlier days these strokes where sewn in the rims(?) of lady trousers and skirts.
You can find them in different wides (1 inch - 2 inches etc).
In the old days this was used also for the table of the asrah-illusion.
Cheers!
John.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
I think we all now understand the logic behind locking the top. To me, it is a valid reason. Typically, a cage is used in conjunction with the vanishing box, first to hold the ducks and later to disguise their presence. A table can be just as deceptive, but do you still intend to use a cage to initially hold the ducks? I'd think you'd want to be careful not to "over-populate" the stage with too many props for a single routine.

Regarding the mechanical method, one idea came to mind earlier that would be simple enough to build... Have the four corners of the movable panel each connected to a line, like strong monofilament. These would each run through a small eyelet adjacent to the corners. From there, they would run outward away from the corners and tie to a helical (coil) spring. At their default, these would be under tension, keeping the panel in the "up" position. Downward pressure would increase this tension, but still allow the panel to sink. You can adjust the tension by the strength of the spring, the length of the line, or both.

I haven't thought about the locking mechanism, but I'll put my mind to it.

Have you studied the Okito books and DVDs by Robert Albo? He discusses several versions of the trick.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
FedericoFitzko
View Profile
New user
Bergamo, Italy
21 Posts

Quote:
On 2013-09-07 17:38, john wills wrote:
OK that's the right way of thinking: place an object on it, before using the table.
By the way: you're talking about elastic cord. But you can also search for
flat strokes of elastic.
You can find that in specialized shops (for needles and knitting etc). In
earlier days these strokes where sewn in the rims(?) of lady trousers and skirts.
You can find them in different wides (1 inch - 2 inches etc).
In the old days this was used also for the table of the asrah-illusion.
Cheers!
John.

Yeah, flat elastics will do the trick, but I think that for the definitive one I'll use counterweights, as they are smoother in movements and I'll have more fun building them instead of elastics Smile
Thank you for your precius tips
Federico
FedericoFitzko
View Profile
New user
Bergamo, Italy
21 Posts

Quote:
On 2013-09-07 17:52, Michael Baker wrote:
I think we all now understand the logic behind locking the top. To me, it is a valid reason. Typically, a cage is used in conjunction with the vanishing box, first to hold the ducks and later to disguise their presence. A table can be just as deceptive, but do you still intend to use a cage to initially hold the ducks? I'd think you'd want to be careful not to "over-populate" the stage with too many props for a single routine.

Regarding the mechanical method, one idea came to mind earlier that would be simple enough to build... Have the four corners of the movable panel each connected to a line, like strong monofilament. These would each run through a small eyelet adjacent to the corners. From there, they would run outward away from the corners and tie to a helical (coil) spring. At their default, these would be under tension, keeping the panel in the "up" position. Downward pressure would increase this tension, but still allow the panel to sink. You can adjust the tension by the strength of the spring, the length of the line, or both.

I haven't thought about the locking mechanism, but I'll put my mind to it.

Have you studied the Okito books and DVDs by Robert Albo? He discusses several versions of the trick.

My routine is very simple, I use the box with two tables (the deceptive one and a normal one that looks almost identical, to hold the box at the beginning, and to distract pepole from the "hot" table) and a duck bucket. Is the "same" rutine as Ed Alonso's one (saw him performing this on tv to david letterman or jay leno...don't remember well) or DC's one. Here an example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEwrpAhdknU
Don't say to me that I want to copy DC, it's just the first example I've found :-p (my presentation is completely different).
The springs idea is pretty good...never tought to that. But I think that if you add a havier load or with constant use the springs will strech themselvs, but if used propely and without eccessive loads they are a good alternative to counterweights. Thanks for the idea, I think I'll be using that in another illusion thought.
The locking sistem I thought is very simple: since the moving part will move on little rails so it does not come off, I'll use a little piece of metal (like 1 cm long x 3 mm wide) put under the moving piece that turns like a switch, so when I'll push it, it will turn itself, obstacoling the movement of the top.
Has robert albo his own dvd? why a quick google search did not found that?
Thanks for the advices,
Federico
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Dr Robert Albo, wrote and produced a series of books on the classic secrets of apparatus. The first was titled, "Oriental Magic of the Bambergs". Subsequent books also included sections on Okito's magic. However, "The Ultimate Okito" contains the DVD set that has the various duck vanishes shown. The full set is expensive, but you can also buy just the DVD set or individual DVDs.

Here is the best source for these that I know of. http://byronwalkermagicbooks.com/magic.html
~michael baker
The Magic Company
FedericoFitzko
View Profile
New user
Bergamo, Italy
21 Posts

Quote:
On 2013-09-08 17:40, Michael Baker wrote:
Dr Robert Albo, wrote and produced a series of books on the classic secrets of apparatus. The first was titled, "Oriental Magic of the Bambergs". Subsequent books also included sections on Okito's magic. However, "The Ultimate Okito" contains the DVD set that has the various duck vanishes shown. The full set is expensive, but you can also buy just the DVD set or individual DVDs.

Here is the best source for these that I know of. http://byronwalkermagicbooks.com/magic.html

Thanks a lot for the link, did not know of albo's dvds, I think I'm going to buy a couple of them.
I've finished this morning to build the wooden table with the spandex top, I'll post a photo as soon as I arrive home.
It works pretty well and it has been very easy to build.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Be aware that the Albo series is mostly for the historical documentation. While explanations are given, they are not to be considered fully detailed instructions on building these props. You get to see some of the most beautiful apparatus ever made, and understand what they do and how they work. Robert Albo had the most extensive collection of Okito magic ever amassed. It was purchased by David Copperfield some time before Albo death. I will look at my set later and post which of the DVDs have the duck vanishes.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
FedericoFitzko
View Profile
New user
Bergamo, Italy
21 Posts

Quote:
On 2013-09-09 07:35, Michael Baker wrote:
Be aware that the Albo series is mostly for the historical documentation. While explanations are given, they are not to be considered fully detailed instructions on building these props. You get to see some of the most beautiful apparatus ever made, and understand what they do and how they work. Robert Albo had the most extensive collection of Okito magic ever amassed. It was purchased by David Copperfield some time before Albo death. I will look at my set later and post which of the DVDs have the duck vanishes.

Yeah, it wasn't for the building istructions, but for the istorical facts, I've always been fascinated by the history of magic Smile
Yep, Copperfiel bought Albo's collection for his museum.
FedericoFitzko
View Profile
New user
Bergamo, Italy
21 Posts

Here some pics of the finished wooden table: (It's just an experiment, so did not spent much time to make it look good)
cheers
Federico
FedericoFitzko
View Profile
New user
Bergamo, Italy
21 Posts

Here some pics of the finished wooden table: (It's just an experiment, so did not spent much time to make it look good)
cheers
Federico
FedericoFitzko
View Profile
New user
Bergamo, Italy
21 Posts

Quote:
On 2013-09-10 06:47, FedericoFitzko wrote:
cheers
Federico

Sorry, I forgot the links...I'm rubbish with this things...
http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/1339/4pin.jpg
http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/5049/5i3j.jpg
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Where does the duck go? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL