The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » Venting my first time today (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

danfreed
View Profile
Inner circle
West Chester PA
1354 Posts

Profile of danfreed
I've been a kids performer since 94 but never really attempted vent before today. I've dabbled with puppets a a few times, but no real vent. I've been working on my vent skill and have a long ways to go, but felt ready enough today to do a routine with a Folkmanis sheepdog. The kids absolutely loved it. I asked after the show, and it was the favorite thing I did among the rest of my magic and gags. That puppet doesn't have a mouth that works very well for vent, but it's a great looking super cute puppet. Maybe I'll switch up the routine with another dog puppet at some point. My routine was a little rough around the edges, but that's OK, most routines are like that at first. I'm just happy it worked so well.
I think I missed my calling! Acting and comedy are my real skills, the magic is just a way to use those skills, so vent work is a perfect fit. I plan on adding more and more into the act, and then offering a full vent show at some point when I'm ready. I guess I'm in the vent club now...
TheDummyDoctor
View Profile
New user
U S A
76 Posts

Profile of TheDummyDoctor
Sounds good, Dan. The more you do it, the better it gets. Rehearsal is important but the real prep (once you establish the format, characters, and outline of the material) is to just get it up on it's feet and work it in front of your audiences. That's really the only way to tune up timing and find which gags work and which ones don't (though I'm sure that you probably know that already if you have a comedy background).
-------

Alan Semok, Ph.D (honoris causa)

THE DUMMY DOCTOR

Building Pro Vent Figures since 1966

web: www.AlanSemok.com/dummies
Bob Baker
View Profile
Inner circle
1111 Posts

Profile of Bob Baker
Welcome, Dan. You'll find a very supportive community here. Several of us here essentially left magic behind to concentrate on vent. Looking forward to see what happens to you. Smile

Bob
KeithS
View Profile
Elite user
449 Posts

Profile of KeithS
Yes, welcome Dan! Great to hear about another aspiring vent, and I'm glad you had such a positive experience!
danfreed
View Profile
Inner circle
West Chester PA
1354 Posts

Profile of danfreed
Thanks guys. My rabbit in the hat puppet Kikki VonCarrotburg also thanks you.
danfreed
View Profile
Inner circle
West Chester PA
1354 Posts

Profile of danfreed
Thanks guys. My rabbit in the hat puppet Kikki VonCarrotburg also thanks you.
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
Though I have a figure with lots of bells and whistles, the kids seem to like my use of Folkmanis puppets.

Welcome to the vent club!

Harris
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » Venting my first time today (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL