The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » The R word (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2013-09-20 13:41, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-09-20 13:06, LobowolfXXX wrote:
In 50 years, people will say, "They might have called her cognitively delayed, but we now know better."

Although amusing, this misses the point. "Cognitively delayed" has not been used as a term of abuse--at least not in my experience.

I think its the writer who misses the point. Pick your favorite euphemism, but "retardation"" is a bona fide DSM category.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
Quote:
On 2013-09-20 21:01, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-09-20 13:41, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-09-20 13:06, LobowolfXXX wrote:
In 50 years, people will say, "They might have called her cognitively delayed, but we now know better."

Although amusing, this misses the point. "Cognitively delayed" has not been used as a term of abuse--at least not in my experience.

I think its the writer who misses the point. Pick your favorite euphemism, but "retardation"" is a bona fide DSM category.

Only used in the USA, but you are right. It is quite valid, technically, where you live; where I live it is unacceptable.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Where do you live?
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
Quote:
On 2013-09-20 18:43, S2000magician wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-09-20 18:32, tomsk192 wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-09-20 17:50, S2000magician wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-09-20 16:28, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:
These discussions are nice in the abstract. They're a little different when it's you, a friend or a family member on the receiving end.

I'm certainly not advocating being insensitive to people's feelings. But I don't find that incomptible with a sober discussion of how the connotation of words like these changes over time.

The upshot - as far as I can tell - is that no matter what word or phrase is proposed to describe, let's say, mental retardation (for want of an objectively better term), eventually it will become offensive and another term will be substituted, the cycle then starting afresh. To my mind, it's not the fault of the term used; it's the fault of people who find any reference to such a condition offensive.

And I, for one, do not know how to overcome that obstacle.

How about discussing people as human beings? What's with the labels? I'll be spending the third year running, this Christmas, working on a theatre production with a group of "adults with learning difficulties" (there's an ungainly label). They are just people.

I agree.

But the problem lies, at least in part, in the attitude that using adjectives is "labeling". Is calling someone "tall" a label? I mean, they're just people. How about calling them "blond", or "good at math", or "left-handed", or "skilled at driving F-1 cars", or "unskilled at driving F-1 cars", or "nice", or "thoughtless", or whatever?

The fact is that every conversation about people (and everything else) involves describing them in some way, and that's as it should be. The problem arises when certain characteristics are considered taboo. It's OK to use a word to describe someone's intelligence as above average, but not OK to use a word to describe someone's intelligence as below average? I'm sorry, but it simply doesn't make sense. Let's be sensitive about it, but let's not, in the name of sensitivity (or to avoid "labeling") refuse to talk about things.

I absolutely take your point. I guess what, in my view, we should be reaching towards are informed and accurate descriptions, such as: non-verbal; limited communications; mild learning difficulty; etc.

The fact is that people with disabilities, (physical, intellectual or both), are not easily pigeon holed. Just as in mental health, there is a broad spectrum, and our language needs to reflect that.

"Hands up if you think you're clever?"

Okay, that's probably everybody reading this, whether they admit it or not. So let's be clever, and find out how to describe, before we describe. That's clever, right?

Tom

:)
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
Quote:
On 2013-09-20 21:16, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Where do you live?

London.
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2013-09-20 21:19, tomsk192 wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
These discussions are nice in the abstract. They're a little different when it's you, a friend or a family member on the receiving end.

I'm certainly not advocating being insensitive to people's feelings. But I don't find that incomptible with a sober discussion of how the connotation of words like these changes over time.

The upshot - as far as I can tell - is that no matter what word or phrase is proposed to describe, let's say, mental retardation (for want of an objectively better term), eventually it will become offensive and another term will be substituted, the cycle then starting afresh. To my mind, it's not the fault of the term used; it's the fault of people who find any reference to such a condition offensive.

How about discussing people as human beings? What's with the labels? I'll be spending the third year running, this Christmas, working on a theatre production with a group of "adults with learning difficulties" (there's an ungainly label). They are just people.

I agree.

But the problem lies, at least in part, in the attitude that using adjectives is "labeling". Is calling someone "tall" a label? I mean, they're just people. How about calling them "blond", or "good at math", or "left-handed", or "skilled at driving F-1 cars", or "unskilled at driving F-1 cars", or "nice", or "thoughtless", or whatever?

The fact is that every conversation about people (and everything else) involves describing them in some way, and that's as it should be. The problem arises when certain characteristics are considered taboo. It's OK to use a word to describe someone's intelligence as above average, but not OK to use a word to describe someone's intelligence as below average? I'm sorry, but it simply doesn't make sense. Let's be sensitive about it, but let's not, in the name of sensitivity (or to avoid "labeling") refuse to talk about things.

I absolutely take your point. I guess what, in my view, we should be reaching towards are informed and accurate descriptions, such as: non-verbal; limited communications; mild learning difficulty; etc.

The fact is that people with disabilities, (physical, intellectual or both), are not easily pigeon holed. Just as in mental health, there is a broad spectrum, and our language needs to reflect that.

Okay, that's probably everybody reading this, whether they admit it or not. So let's be clever, and find out how to describe, before we describe. That's clever, right?

Tom

While I agree in principle, it may be, shall we say, too much to ask.

Do we describe people as:

Slightly above average height?

Moderately above average height?

Substantially above average height?

A little tall?

Rather tall?

Quite tall?

Super-duper tall?

(I know that this comparison doesn't have the emotion attached to it that is attached to a discussion of, say, learning ability, but in a broad sense they're comparable: people simply don't make those fine distinctions in everyday conversation, the nature of the subject matter almost notwithstanding.)

And, for what it's worth (and I realize that this may sound mean; it's not intended to), the words "moron", "imbecile", and "idiot" have, technically, exactly the sort of subtleties of meaning you're describing . . . and look where they've ended up.

As I say, I agree with your premise. I fear, however, that no matter how sensitively we develop the terminology, and no matter how subtlely we define the terms to incorporate shades of distinction, they will all likely suffer the fate of "moron", "imbecile", and "idiot".

It's a hard problem to solve, and an important one. On that, at the very least, I hope, we can agree.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Quote:
On 2013-09-21 02:23, S2000magician wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I agree.

Tom

A little tall?

Rather tall?

Quite tall?

Super-duper tall?

(I know that this comparison doesn't have the emotion attached to it that is attached to a discussion of, say, learning ability, but in a broad sense they're comparable: people simply don't make those fine distinctions in everyday conversation, the nature of the subject matter almost notwithstanding.)

And, for what it's worth (and I realize that this may sound mean; it's not intended to), the words "moron", "imbecile", and "idiot" have, technically, exactly the sort of subtleties of meaning you're describing . . . and look where they've ended up.

As I say, I agree with your premise. I fear, however, that no matter how sensitively we develop the terminology, and no matter how subtlely we define the terms to incorporate shades of distinction, they will all likely suffer the fate of "moron", "imbecile", and "idiot".

It's a hard problem to solve, and an important one. On that, at the very least, I hope, we can agree.

You are missing the point. No one objects to all descriptors. The problem is that some descriptors have "taken lives of their own" and serve functions in language far beyond mere description.

Racial epithets were once descriptors, but have long served other, more hateful functions. Imagine if the the bottle cap had say "You N--" or "You K--" (assuming that N-- and K-- were legitimate words in some other language). Would we be having this discussion.

I strongly doubt that you would be comfortable saying "N-- simply means 'black'" and "K-- simply means 'of the Jewish faith'" and thento comparing the words to expressions for "tall".
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2013-09-21 10:00, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-09-21 02:23, S2000magician wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I agree.

Tom

A little tall?

Rather tall?

Quite tall?

Super-duper tall?

You are missing the point. No one objects to all descriptors. The problem is that some descriptors have "taken lives of their own" and serve functions in language far beyond mere description.

John: I'm not missing the point at all. Indeed, I just said what you just said:

Quote:
I fear, however, that no matter how sensitively we develop the terminology, and no matter how subtlely we define the terms to incorporate shades of distinction, they will all likely suffer the fate of "moron", "imbecile", and "idiot".

Quote:
On 2013-09-21 10:00, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:
I strongly doubt that you would be comfortable saying "N-- simply means 'black'" and "K-- simply means 'of the Jewish faith'" and thento comparing the words to expressions for "tall".

I covered that as well:

Quote:

I'm not advocating hateful speech (and you know me well enough to know that). I'm saying that speech even with the best of intentions behind it can metamorphose into hateful speech. That's why this problem is, ultimately, insoluble (by which I mean that we cannot find a solution and be done with it; we'll do a good job, and it will decay, then we'll do another good job, and it will decay, ad nauseum).
lunatik
View Profile
Inner circle
3225 Posts

Profile of lunatik
Political Correctness is out of control
"Don't let your Dreams become Fantasies"
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
S2000, I believe you to be a man of the highest calibre. Thanks for reminding me that not everyone knows what's in the backs of our minds when we talk.

I agree that language will always have unintended uses and consequences. But this is no reason to despair. It's a bit like remembering that all roofs eventually leak. We should still do our best to be vigilant and recognize our ultimate fallibility.
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2013-09-21 14:45, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:
S2000, I believe you to be a man of the highest calibre.

See, I knew we could agree on something.
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
3017 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
Quote:
On 2013-09-20 22:23, tomsk192 wrote:
Quote:
Where do you live?

London.

I'm not sure if its the same in London, but when I was in grad school in Newcastle, we were told that "brain storming" was no longer politically correct as it referred to an illness of some sort. They kindly asked that we refer to it as "mind mapping" instead. I take no issue with that whatsoever, though I only encountered it in the UK.
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2013-09-22 17:54, Andrew Zuber wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-09-20 22:23, tomsk192 wrote:
Quote:
Where do you live?

London.

I'm not sure if its the same in London, but when I was in grad school in Newcastle, we were told that "brain storming" was no longer politically correct as it referred to an illness of some sort. They kindly asked that we refer to it as "mind mapping" instead. I take no issue with that whatsoever, though I only encountered it in the UK.

Amongst my fondest hopes would be that you're kidding, but I know you well enough to know that you're not.

Alas.
TomKMagic
View Profile
Special user
I tripped over
620 Posts

Profile of TomKMagic
Maybe they didn't mean it in that context... Not everyone in the world uses words in malicious or harmful ways. Some even use words in eloquent and sophisticated manner to express them selves. In this case, it might just have been listed (selected by a computer program) and used as the typical meaning of the word, not the offensive slang. Although, the editor should have omitted/reviewed specific words that could be construed as inappropriate, incorrect, or potentially offensive.

Sadly, some people use other words to refer to handicapped people, one example is "slow". Should that also be omitted? If that cap said "YOU SLOW" it might not have been considered an issue. However, the editor should know and understand how words are used, even if beyond their typical meaning...

I remember in high school band some bars in the music used that word to signify when to slow the tempo.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/retard
re·tard 1 (r-tärd)
v. re·tard·ed, re·tard·ing, re·tards
v.tr.
To cause to move or proceed slowly; delay or impede.
v.intr.
To be delayed.
n.
1. A slowing down or hindering of progress; a delay.
2. Music A slackening of tempo.
[Middle English retarden, from Old French retarder, from Latin retardre : re-, re- + tardre, to delay (from tardus, slow).
re·tarder n.

re·tard 2 (rtärd)
n. Offensive Slang
1. Used as a disparaging term for a mentally retarded person.
2. A person considered to be foolish or socially inept.

I'm not taking sides either way, just pointing out things that might or could be or may not be.
You must be smarter than the tools you are using...

Tom Kracker
My website
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » The R word (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL