The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Most intriguing close up or street magic. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MisterLam
View Profile
New user
40 Posts

Profile of MisterLam
Hello everyone it's school one again and this is my first year at my university and I'm planing on surfing a magicians club surprisingly there isn't one. In order you me to establish this club I would need a number of students that are interested in joining. So I'm thinking if I performed on the streets of my campus I could attract students to join. The problem is that I don't have a street act or many tricks what are some tricks that could be intriguing that I could do to get people to join the club?

I've heard of the thing by Bill Abbott but it's a bit over my budget at the moment.

Thanks in advance for your input!
heybobby08
View Profile
New user
Charlotte, NC
54 Posts

Profile of heybobby08
I've never tried this before, but I assume that there are plenty of options for you. You could maybe perform some simple card/coin tricks...that would at least attact those interested in magic as well as other magicians. You could do this with a table set up that has a advertisement/sign up sheet so once you get their attention with the simple trick you tell them about the club you are trying to start. Good luck to you!
MisterLam
View Profile
New user
40 Posts

Profile of MisterLam
Thank you very much heybobby08 is there a specific trick you can recommend I could learn to perform?
Steven Webb
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of Steven Webb
You could try learning a few small self-working tricks where the presentation is what is needed more than the tricks itself. If looking at budget stuff you could always go to the local library and grab something like Wilson's Complete Course in Magic. There are quite a few quick and easy tricks to learn in there. The only problem I could see is that if you're starting the group and going to be leading it, it might be tough without having a large basis.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
You can't baptize 'em with a fire hose!

Do a little casual stuff in the Caféteria or any other similar place.

People who have a serious interest will be attracted.

You don't need a SIGN! That sort of promoting just leads to curiosity and just wanting to know how the tricks are done.

Are you interested in performing--or socializing??? IMHO, people who have a real interest will seek you.

Whatever happened to YOU and the multiplying balls and the linking rings??? Did that "talent contest" ever happen???
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
MisterLam
View Profile
New user
40 Posts

Profile of MisterLam
Hey Dick I replied on a personal message, I did the talent show and I choose to do mouth streamers and linking rings because of the time constraint but I did not win I only got runner up...

Yea that's going to be a problem too for sure but that would be a rule for the club.
Spock10194
View Profile
New user
Oklahoma
25 Posts

Profile of Spock10194
D'lites could be fun if you were in a place that wasn't too bright...
jcrabtree2007
View Profile
Special user
627 Posts

Profile of jcrabtree2007
Money magic. Everyone likes money.
A powerful yet easy trick is powerball 60. I don't do mentalism but enjoy performing this effect.
Sponge balls are easy and fun to do and fun to watch.
Good luck.
neemdog
View Profile
Loyal user
231 Posts

Profile of neemdog
Try getting a bite-out quarter. It's really quick, grabs attention, and people LOVE it.
djurmann
View Profile
Inner circle
thinks time to practice and stop writing
1481 Posts

Profile of djurmann
Sponge balls, easy visual and in their hands
MisterLam
View Profile
New user
40 Posts

Profile of MisterLam
Thank you all for the quick replies do you think I can do the 3D Rabbit Trick instead? I have more experience with that trick more than sponge balls.
djurmann
View Profile
Inner circle
thinks time to practice and stop writing
1481 Posts

Profile of djurmann
This is the sponge bunnies? Same deal basically. Go for it :O)
MisterLam
View Profile
New user
40 Posts

Profile of MisterLam
Hmm there are some problems while I've been performing sometimes there are people who challenge you and says like "let me touch this", "do the trick again", "can you make more?" how dose one deal with these questions and comment??
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
"Do that again!" I immediately ask: "Is a joke funny the second time?" (Sometimes, I APPEAR TO BE REPEATING THE BIT, BUT I REALLY DO SOMETHING ELSE WITH THE SAME PROP.) That's why it's "smart" to use relatively GENERIC PROPS (like sponge balls, cards, coins, etc.) Too many magician "wannabees" only do "package" tricks ("by" someone!)

"Let me touch that!" The reply is: "But, it's (they're) not STERILIZED!"

"Can you make more?" The reply is" "Yes, but I'm only allowed to make more on weekends (or on Monday, etc.)

If you're performing an act (or "set"--is the currently "in" term) there should not be a "dead stop" between each bit or routine, THE OLD LINE IS STILL VALID: "It's good to STOP THE SHOW----BUT, DON'T SLOW IT DOWN!!!"

In other words: KEEP THE SHOW M O V I N G !!!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
MisterLam
View Profile
New user
40 Posts

Profile of MisterLam
AWESOME! I got 40+ plus members to join! I showed them the bunny trick. so right now just waiting for the administration to approve of it!
MisterLam
View Profile
New user
40 Posts

Profile of MisterLam
Just an update for everyone here is one of the e-mail I just got.

"On behalf of the Student Groups Committee, I am delighted to inform you that your group has been approved to go forward to the Board of Directors meeting for ratification.

The next step is for the RSU Board of Directors to ratify the group. At that time please be prepared to make a very brief presentation about the nature of your group and they type of events you hope to hold. Members of the Board of Directors may have some questions as well.

I will notify you by email of the time/location of the meeting as soon as I have that information. It should be approximately 3 weeks from now.

In the meantime, please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any questions.

All the best,

Leatrice"
Mickturbo
View Profile
New user
Los Angeles
78 Posts

Profile of Mickturbo
Congrats, MisterLam! It sounds like you're well on your way!
MisterLam
View Profile
New user
40 Posts

Profile of MisterLam
Thanks Mick!!
Any suggestion to what I should teach these youngsters?
Premier Magic
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of Premier Magic
Good Job on getting your club going. As for teaching you should probly start with basic stuff. Cut and restored rope, basic card magic and handling, silk use, maybe your sponge rabbit trick whatever you want that's simple and fun to do.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Most intriguing close up or street magic. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL