The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Tools to soften and remill coins - by hand (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

CarpetShark
View Profile
Special user
576 Posts

Profile of CarpetShark
I've tried remilling a few halves and dollar coins, using the finest file I could purchase locally. Recently, I came across this set of 'needle files' http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B000NPUKYS/ref=s9_simh_gw_p60_d1_i4?pf_rd_m=A3DWYIK6Y9EEQB&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1BCF9CDPEQMD8XG5XT10&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1375923922&pf_rd_i=915398.

Has anyone tried these, and if so, what did you think ? An alternative may be a jeweler's saw: http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00313Q4......FIQ3K6IX

Lastly, how useful is a dremel for softening coins ? I've watched a bunch of tutorial vids on this topic, some use a dremel, others do not.
Please note that I am not a professional and therefore cannot justify the cost of having my coins done by the coin Gods.

Cheers

I eagerly await your learned response Smile
Al Desmond
View Profile
Inner circle
Secret Mountain Lair in Conifer, Co
1511 Posts

Profile of Al Desmond
Well the first thing you need to do is get the MM thickness of any of these blades. Neither ad gave had that sort of detail. I'm looking at a re-milled edge of a Lassen standing liberty and I can assure you you will never get the same edge by hand... no matter how steady you are. Using a magnifier with a CM transparency on it, it appears to be 4/10's of a MM (40 cm I believe... my metric sense gets a little fuzzy down at those microscopic measures). And I don't think that's a perfect measurement, the edge is round and I know that will affect getting a totally accurate measurement.

Perhaps if you look up articles on minting you're particular flavor of coins, you can discover the actually length of its peaks and valleys on the milled edge. But I wouldn't buy any tools before you know the measurements and can confirm the thickness of the tools.

If anyone sees this differently, chime in.
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
I have absolutely read that it can be done with a jewelers saw. I never knew what size blade but I would imagine a very thin one Smile
it will take a lot of time and the patients of Job to accomplish the task, but it can be done that way. not sure about the files (only because I have never heard of it done that way before where I have the jewelers saw) either way - let me know what works for you as I was planning on getting a jewelers saw for the same reason.
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
I have absolutely read that it can be done with a jewelers saw. I never knew what size blade but I would imagine a very thin one Smile
it will take a lot of time and the patients of Job to accomplish the task, but it can be done that way. not sure about the files (only because I have never heard of it done that way before where I have the jewelers saw) either way - let me know what works for you as I was planning on getting a jewelers saw for the same reason.

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
CarpetShark
View Profile
Special user
576 Posts

Profile of CarpetShark
Hey PD,thanks for the response. I'm going to pick up a set of needle files later today, as apparently they are available at Home Depot! If they don't do the trick, I'll order a saw from Amazon. Either way I'll let you know how it turns out.
CarpetShark
View Profile
Special user
576 Posts

Profile of CarpetShark
Hey PD, I went ahead and bought a cheap set of jeweler's or needle files, and after playing with these on various coins I've come to the conclusion that a saw may be the answer. Even using a rig, these needle files are just a tad too think to do a decent job. Have you purchased a saw as mentioned ? I'm quite keen to do this on my own, and the first step is finding the correct cutting instrument. I'm heading over to Amazon after this to pa-rouse their jeweler's saws.

Cheers
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
I bought a very thin saw at a hobby shop (similar to a jewelers saw) and after much time and effort - gave up... it was very difficult to hit the ridges and very easy to cut too deep when I did. May be age creeping up on me but I will send mine out and pay to have them remilled in the future - if needed, or simply replace the coin (if non gaff)

Smile Smile
CarpetShark
View Profile
Special user
576 Posts

Profile of CarpetShark
Good to know Poof, thanks for the info.
wandmgc8
View Profile
Regular user
Tennessee
140 Posts

Profile of wandmgc8
Hi. Seems like this re-milling job could be done on a lathe with a small knurling-tool if the coin(s) could be held properly. Holding the coin(s), I think, would be the "tricky" part, but, solving that problem, I'm pretty sure a very nice/professional job could be done in short order running the lathe at a very slow speed whilst feeding into the coins. I'll have to give more thought to a holder and try it when I have a chance.

Michael
Bambu
View Profile
Elite user
California
498 Posts

Profile of Bambu
This is a job for machinist; basically a wax chuck could be mounted in a lathe spindle and the coin might be attached to the wax chuck using super glue or another technique. Then using the right knurling-tool the coin can be re-milled.

Here is a sample of a knurling-tool:
http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/att......ls-1.jpg
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Tools to soften and remill coins - by hand (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL