The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Penguin Cups-Review Request (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Dave Schutt
View Profile
New user
84 Posts

Profile of Dave Schutt
Has anyone received these cups from Penguin as part of the this month's promotion? I was just curious if they were any good. The look decent and sounded pretty solid in their demo video, but you never know. I currently have a cheap aluminum combo set and am looking to upgrade, just wanted to know if it was worth stretching my order to $250 and get the free cups? I appreciate your input!

Thanks Smile
Dave Schutt
Charlotte, NC
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
If these cups are the ones shown in the illustration, you will probably like them. They look like the new knockoffs of the Paul Fox cups that Magic Makers has issued. I haven't seen these cups in person, so I can't tell you the quality of them. I have a set of original Paul Fox cups, and they are wonderful.

The originals could take a lacrosse ball as a final load. I would be interested in finding out if these can.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
I like my Johnson Cups. They are beautiful!
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Dave Schutt
View Profile
New user
84 Posts

Profile of Dave Schutt
I've had my eyes on the Johnson Cups myself and actually finally have the money for them, but I'm torn now because I can either get just the Johnson Cups, or let say 10 items from Penguin and the Penguin Cups. I'm sure at any measure they are better than my cheap aluminum ones! Smile
Dave Schutt
Charlotte, NC
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Dave, that's smart thinking. Great shopping idea!!!!

Steve Pellegrino
View Profile
Loyal user
224 Posts

Profile of Steve Pellegrino
The Penguin Cups are from Magic Makers and there could be some problems with them. Jim Riser reviewed them at the Genii Board. Here is the link to that thread: http://geniimagazine.com/forum/cgi-bin/u......t=001385

I just bought a set of Johnson Cups and couldn't be happier with them. I also had thought about the cups from Penguin, but wanted to hear what others say about them first. I respect Jim Riser's opinion, which is what convinced me not to buy them and spend the extra money on something I knew was going to be perfect.

The cups Penguin is selling is probably about the same quality as the Phoenix Cups. Usable? Yes. But far from perfect with possible flaws in the manufacturing.

Look at it this way - if they can give them away, how much do you think these cups cost? Having these made overseas, you cannot expect top quality.
kihei kid
View Profile
Inner circle
Dog House
1039 Posts

Profile of kihei kid
Thanks for the link Steve. Smile
In loving memory of Hughie Thomasson 1952-2007.

You brought something beautiful to this world, you touched my heart, my soul and my life. You will be greatly missed.

Until we meet again “my old friend”.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Thanks Steve! Looks like these cups stink. They are getting panned big time.

You can get a new Jonshon set on Ebay for about $159.00 and they are gorgeous!

Chris

Steve Pellegrino
View Profile
Loyal user
224 Posts

Chris,

I don't want to go so far as to say they "stink". I would really like these to be great cups. I have spent a lot of money on cups this year and would consider buying these.

The only problem I would have with the cups - based on Jim Riser's comments is that the cups do not stack correctly. Now, it's possible Jim got a bad set. Jim is also going to be VERY critical of any cups, because he spins cups and understands what it takes to make GREAT cups. I would say the majority of magicians who perform with cups would love a set of Paul Fox cups. Since the real Fox Cups are rare and expensive, an alternative, copy is the best we can hope for.

I also, publicly want to say that even though I do maintain the L&L web site, I am not an L&L employee and have no bad feelings toward Penguin Magic. I think Penguin has a great web site and they are breaking new ground. I too hope these cups are great and want a set!
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Steve Pellegrino as usual shows he's a class act and has great info for us!

When I read they wouldn't stack, I couldn't help but think they stink.

Perhaps that's unfair without other reviews, but I think Johnson's are worth more than their cost. after that, a worker can upgrade to the Great Riser cups and beyond.

Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I know someone who has a set of Charlie Miller cups for sale at a reasonable price. If you are interested, PM me for more information. These are really fine cups -- heavy -- you can load baby chicks into them.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Apprentice
View Profile
Regular user
164 Posts

Profile of Apprentice
I'm a beginner in terms of Cups & Balls but from a few highly respectable cups & balls afficiando Café members here, the Jes Magic Cups (www.jesmagic.com) are one of the best copies of the Paul Fox cups. They even have a picture of stacked original Paul Fox cups and the Jes Magic cups side by side and it's near impossible to tell which is which.

They have a great review by Jim Riser on his site under the topic of how to choose great Cups & Balls sets.

The Johnson's are also based on the Paul Fox cups and are great I'm sure. They are made differently, from a chunk of brass and computer technology and are a bit heavier. The Johnson's also don't look exactly like the original Paul Fox cups.

The Jes Magic Cups are probably made in the same/similar method as the original Paul Fox cups. And in appearance are practically identical.

Just an FYI for deciding (especially if you want the closest thing to the original Paul Fox cups) on Penguin's Magic Makers Paul Fox knock offs. You'll be forgoing the 10 extra effects from Penguin Magic but you'll be getting top quality instead.

From the posts that I've seen it doesn't seem like you can go wrong with the Johnson's (of course they're made by Johnson!). And from the few followers who actually own the Jes Magic Cups (of which I will be a proud owner of the Nickel Chrome Set by next week!) I have only heard High Praise for them. They are not highly advertised but are definitely of upper class quality. Those few who own them are proud but share their secret humbly....almost as if to keep this gem a secret.

I can send a post out on how well made and how beautiful these are next week, but on second thought if they truly are great, probably won't be posting anything.....shhhhhh!

M2Cs
maxwell
View Profile
New user
93 Posts

Profile of maxwell
Hi guys and gals!

I'm holding a set of The Penguin Cups in my hands as I type this message.

The Penguin Cups are guaranteed to stack PERFECTLY. We haven't had a single defective set. Every magician we've shown them to has fallen in love.

We're very excited about The Penguin Cups because they represent such a strong value. This is a chance to get a world class set of cups at a very reasonable price. Many magicians are switching over to The Penguin Cups.

Our Penguin Holiday Bonus is an incredible giveaway. It's very costly for us to offer, but we think our customers deserve a little something extra for choosing to shop with us. We're happy for everyone who gets in on the deal.

Now, obviously, I represent Penguin Magic and am not an impartial observer. However, we're getting fabulous reviews from the many workers who perform with The Penguin Cups, and we think you'll love them too.
Steve Pellegrino
View Profile
Loyal user
224 Posts

To follow up from my previous posts, I spoke with someone today who is an avid cup collector and he has a set of the Magic Makers/Penguin Cups and also confirmed what Maxwell said, that there were no problems with the cups.

Penguin is a good company that stands by their word. You can see here that they guarantee the cups stack perfectly, so in the unlikely event someone does have a problem, they will be sure to take care of it.
maxwell
View Profile
New user
93 Posts

Profile of maxwell
Just a quick note to clear up the confusion:

The Penguin Cups are available only at Penguin. They're not part of the Magic Makers line. Magic Makers offers a line of similar cups that is plated.

The Penguin Cups are solid copper.

That's an important difference to our customers.
rcad
View Profile
Loyal user
St-Eustache
211 Posts

Profile of rcad
Quote:
On 2003-12-17 00:58, maxwell wrote:
Just a quick note to clear up the confusion:

The Penguin Cups are available only at Penguin. They're not part of the Magic Makers line. Magic Makers offers a line of similar cups that is plated.

The Penguin Cups are solid copper.

That's an important difference to our customers.

Glad you came in to give the reverse side of the coin a chance... I have ordered for more than 250$ just before christmas just to get these cups. Even bought a Cups & Balls DVD with the lot to do something more than the basic routine. Can't wait to get them!

BTW your "no shipping fees to Canada" promotion was also a GREAT idea!

Richard Smile
"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious." Albert Einstein
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
OK, I LOVE my Johsnon set, so how does the Penguin set "stack" up ( no punn intended )

Chris

JHodgeCMI
View Profile
Veteran user
Washington State
352 Posts

Profile of JHodgeCMI
I'll say this first. I also, 'don't know cups'. After reading about the stacking problem--I got out my Penguin Cups (i.e free Holiday promotion) and immediately began stacking them. They 'stack' fine, feel great and look awesome!
That being said, I personally can recommend Penguin and that they also will do the right thing if you have any issues with your order(I did and they gave me no hassle).

take care,

Jay
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6750 Posts

Profile of videoman
This is off topic but related to C&B work. I own 2 of the Johnson chop cups and would like one matching Johnson regular cup to go with one of the chop cups for a routine I'm putting together.

My question is for any owner of the Johnson C&B set. Would you be willing to trade one of your regualr Johnson cups for a matching Johnson chop cup?

That way you would have a C&B/chop cup combo set and I would get the single cup I need without having to buy an entire Johnson C&B set.

The C&b's and Chop cups are identical. The chop cup I would trade you has never been used and is in PERFECT condition.

PM me if anyone is interested.

:cups:

Thanks,
Bill
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Penguin Cups-Review Request (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL