The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Examinable Rings (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Keith Yeung
View Profile
Regular user
140 Posts

Profile of Keith Yeung
I've been thinking of getting a "magic ring" for some time now and was wondering which one was examinable?

You see, I like doing perhaps Coin through handkerchief (with the ring as the impenetrable barrier.)

I was thinking of possibly doing a ring routine right after that effect.

As of now, I know of these three rings:
1. Himber Ring
2. Ellis Ring
3. Cursed Ring

Which ring would be more of an "impromptu act" and fully examinable? Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance!
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Why examinable?

Do a switch then.

Don't use your ring, borrow one and learn some good effects like ring on wand or ring off string.

Is this for impromptu close up with just a few friends or a cabaret or stage show?

The latter, Linking Finger Rings.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
DwightPA
View Profile
Regular user
Dwight Powell
113 Posts

Profile of DwightPA
Pete,
I like your response, "Why examinable?".

I think that most people realize that there is definitely a trick whatever the method. Let the mystery remain. In the few instances when someone asks to examine the equipment, I tell them that I just make it a practice not to let people handle my props.

What is your general opinion about this?

Dwight Powell
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I love Frances Carlysle's line... "Do you touch the fiddle when Heifitz plays?"
Keith Yeung
View Profile
Regular user
140 Posts

Profile of Keith Yeung
Hmm. Good question.
It’s usually for a small party (maybe 5 or 6 people.)

The reason why it needs to be examinable… because they have to handle it beforehand in say, the Coin Through the Hankerchief.

As to ring on wand, where can I learn that?
Keith
DanielGreenWolf
View Profile
Veteran user
Waterbury, CT
363 Posts

Profile of DanielGreenWolf
The best examinable ring effect I know (which can be done with a borrowed ring) Is the Sonata for Ring and String from Jim Sisti which I know I've mentioned before, but it really is an excellent effect using pure sleight of hand. And it doesn't look like it.

-Daniel GreenWolf
-Much love,
Daniel GreenWolf
Celtic Magician

www.GreenWolfMagic.com
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2003-12-16 23:27, Malak wrote:
The best examinable ring effect I know (which can be done with a borrowed ring) Is the Sonata for Ring and String from Jim Sisti which I know I've mentioned before, but it really is an excellent effect using pure sleight of hand. And it doesn't look like it.

-Daniel GreenWolf

This last sentence puzzles me. Why should ANY piece of sleight of hand look like sleight of hand? Why should any piece of gimmick magic look like gimmick magic? ALL OF IT SHOULD LOOK NATURAL.

But you are right about learning material that uses borrowed rings. The thing that makes a performance of the linking finger rings effective is that it appears to be done with borrowed rings. The minute the audience suspects that you have a gimmicked ring, the effect is gone. PERIOD.

And it doesn't matter if the ring is completely examinable. If they suspect that it is gimmicked, it might as well be.

There are ads now for regular sets of linking rings that are supposedly examinable. I have seen these on many occasions. The point of passage is not only noticeable, it is obvious. But the manufacturer says they are examinable because you can't open them without knowing how they work. Does this make them examinable? Not to me, it doesn't. It just makes them a better puzzle.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I have always advocated, "forget locking key rings" -- however... I have just seen something new in this area from Joe Porper, that handles differently and in THIS routine (2 rings) the locker makes sense.

Matter of fact, when I get my set I think what I will do is toss them to two people in the front row, then take them back fairly quickly and not say, "Did you notice anything?"

Just say "Here look at these" when I hand 'em out and say NOTHING taking them back.

Those two guys will probably see the locked key slit, but it will fool the crap out of the rest of the audience.

I have done this in the past with a gaffed rope trick and FRIED some experts.
Smile
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Boynton Beach, FL
5270 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
Quote:
On 2003-12-18 04:46, Bill Palmer wrote:
...The thing that makes a performance of the linking finger rings effective is that it appears to be done with borrowed rings. The minute the audience suspects that you have a gimmicked ring, the effect is gone. PERIOD....

I generally agree with you but it is possible to devise an approach using your own ring without the audience suspecting that it's gimmicked. I've devised such an approach.

Regards, Larry D.
GSmithson
View Profile
Regular user
101 Posts

Profile of GSmithson
I, for one, stay away from borrowing finger rings, watches, or jewelry of any kind. I always supply my own objects because many people apply such great sentimental value to their personal effects.

One always runs the risk of dropping a ring or watch: this is always true, regardless of your level of technique or quaility of gimmicked equipments. Also, a scratch or chip in a stone that may have previously gone unnoticed will be attributed to your carelessness and you will be expected to make good any restitution.

If you have not priced loose gems and the cost of labour for replacing them, I suggest that a trip to a reputable jewelers' will prove quite sobering.

Use your own jewelry: afterall, you can always add some hubbub foolery to your patter about the object's unique magical nature or provide an interesting tale about how you happened to own it. Let your audience remember your magic, not your mishaps!
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2003-12-30 11:04, GSmithson wrote:
I, for one, stay away from borrowing finger rings, watches, or jewelry of any kind. I always supply my own objects because many people apply such great sentimental value to their personal effects.

One always runs the risk of dropping a ring or watch: this is always true, regardless of your level of technique or quaility of gimmicked equipments. Also, a scratch or chip in a stone that may have previously gone unnoticed will be attributed to your carelessness and you will be expected to make good any restitution.

If you have not priced loose gems and the cost of labour for replacing them, I suggest that a trip to a reputable jewelers' will prove quite sobering.

Use your own jewelry: afterall, you can always add some hubbub foolery to your patter about the object's unique magical nature or provide an interesting tale about how you happened to own it. Let your audience remember your magic, not your mishaps!

I have performed The Flying Ring for 30+ years, and must disagree with this completely. Doing the Flying Ring with your own ring is pointless. You might as well work it without a gaff. Just use a dupe.

I am well aware of the problems that can, do and will ensue if you do not return the ring with everything on it. This is why all of us who do this for a living examine borrowed rings, watches, and other jewelry minutely when we get it from the audience. (One of my hobbies is jewelry making. I KNOW the costs involved.)

If I get a ring that has a stone missing or a loose prong or any other defect, I reject it immediately, point out the problem and recommend a good jeweler to the owner.

The other part of the equation is making sure that any apparatus you use for these effects is in perfect condition. To lose a ring during a performance of The Flying Ring is one of the biggest no-nos in the business.

I learned my lesson in a rather amusing way. I was working the grand opening of Magic Island in Houston. The owner of a very upscale restaurant was one of the visitors. His wife let me borrow her ring. The shank of the ring vanished. The rest of it was still in my hand. I was giving birth to small bovines right there on the floor.

Finally, I said, "Does your ring happen to have some kind of special feature?"

She said, "Yes, you can change the tops out."

I recovered my composure. I said "Maybe you would like to have this part of the ring back."

She laughed, and asked, "Where is the rest of it?"

And I finished the routine as I normally would. That's why I examine rings VERY closely now.

And this is why Ted Lesley, Billy McComb and lots of other people have lines they use when they take the rings from the spectator. During these lines, they are examining the rings for problems.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
GSmithson
View Profile
Regular user
101 Posts

Profile of GSmithson
Mr. Palmer,

You are correct sir. I appreciate and support your professionalism and your aptly stated observations. I agree with you wholeheartedly that one must be circumspect when using such apparatus. Your statements about the need to take exceptional care when inspecting a borrowed ring should be read by all, especially those who are not cognizant of the costs associated with jewelry repair.

I still stand behind my previously stated personal apprehensions about using borrowed jewelry with reeled devices. However, I do respect others' willingness to employ these devices and methods.

Actually, it would be possible to use the device with your own ring. All it takes is a little thinking. Off the top of my head, you could have an audience member attach something to the ring. (Or, left unattached, vanish both objects in your hand simultaneously.) Something signed and unique, such as a small tag or amulet, would create a mystery when the ring and same are vanished and then retrieved from an impossible location as desired.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Why use their ring? Borrow a key from them and have it appear IN YOUR KEY CASE.

THINK

DO

THINK

DO MORE Smile

Anyone know of any kind of "gaffed" morter and pestles?
Jimeuax
View Profile
Regular user
199 Posts

Profile of Jimeuax
How about just gearing the presentation where you are asking for a wedding band? I have broken my Ring Flite "clip" by trying to stuff an overly large band in it -- but you can't do a whole lot of damage to a band unless it just flies off and you lose it. Cheers! --Jimeuax Smile
Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
Actually, you don't need to do a lot of damage to a borrowed ring. A little scratch from a badly designed clip is all that is needed to make some spectators mad. I recommend that anyone doing the Ring-Flite be sure to get an appropriate clip. A good clip will hold a large ring, not let go of it, and not scratch it.

I highly recommend the School for Scoundrels "Perfect Clip for Ring-Flite." For fifteen bucks, it is a lot of security.
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Boynton Beach, FL
5270 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
Quote:
On 2003-12-31 13:24, Pete Biro wrote:
Anyone know of any kind of "gaffed" mortar and pestles?

Pete,

No, but you can accomplish the same effect using a file and flint. In fact, I once gimmicked a file by attaching a very small cloth bag on one side that I filled with gold sparkle and a flint (the bag was affixed sideways with the mouth facing the end of the file). The ring would secretly go to my key case via Ring Flite while I reached for the file with my other hand, and then when I appeared to file the ring (I was actually filing the flint), the audience would see sparks fly out and gold sparkle fall to the floor simultaneously (the back and forth motion of the file against the flint also propelled the sparkle from the bag via inertia). As I finished filing, I pushed the remaining portion of the flint back in the bag so my hand was shown empty afterwards.

Regards, Larry D.
Paul Chosse
View Profile
V.I.P.
1955 - 2010
2389 Posts

Profile of Paul Chosse
Pete,

Thayer!

Best, PSC
"You can't steal a gift..." Dizzy Gillespie
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Larry... very interesting idea... I like it. Smile
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
There is a plated signet Himber Ring on Ebay.

Harris
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17411 Posts

Profile of joseph
I'm still laughing at Larry's idea. What a nice comical touch. I'd like to see the owner's face while you are "filing" his wedding band. Smile
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Examinable Rings (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL