The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Lewis Ganson's Fan Finale (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

mdspark
View Profile
Special user
784 Posts

Profile of mdspark
Has anyone on here used this as outlined in Routined Manipulation by Lewis Ganson?
RandyStewart
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas (USA)
1989 Posts

Profile of RandyStewart
I've yet to get my hands on Manipulation by Lewis Ganson. Can you explain the effect as it sounds like something I'd be interested in.
mdspark
View Profile
Special user
784 Posts

Profile of mdspark
It has some good routines in it..not just stage manipulation type stuff..but close up as well.

The Fan Finale is an easy way of doing giant "faroed" card fans....doing the various color changes with two colorful fanning decks that have been "faroed" together.....You still need fanning skills but its the faro part that requires no skill... I think it would be a great addition to any show...even a kids show do to the color aspect of it.
-The Scot-
View Profile
Special user
726 Posts

Profile of -The Scot-
Correct. You still need to be able to do the fans with an ordinary deck of cards, before moving on and trying it with the gimmicked set. The same set up is found on McBride's videos.
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
I used to perform it when I was 14 doing kid shows. I haven't done it for many many years. Also used to do Ganson's 75 card split fans wtih white gloves. I am thinking about taking that on again. That is also in the Routined Manpulation series, which I heartily recommend.

Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
boltt223
View Profile
Regular user
Arizona, USA
175 Posts

Profile of boltt223
The entire Ganson Manipulation series is a must. I have used it for many a routine including cards, billiard balls and thimbles. Smile
stephenbanning
View Profile
Regular user
United States
178 Posts

Profile of stephenbanning
I've tried putting the fans together as dictated by Ganson and it's not as easy as it sounds.

It's a good idea, it's just not as easy as it sounds. First of all, the cards are difficult to glue in the exact position unless you use a glue where you can slide them slightly after the two cards meet. These kinds of glues, however, don't adhere as well because of the card treatments.

The cards initially glue well, but after a few uses, begin to peel off. I've toyed with using steel wool to prep the card surfaces.

I've experimented with regular decks. For the real deal you need 4 sets of identical fanning decks. Is it worth it? I'm still working on that one.

I'm also not convinced that the Ganson switch would be convincing.
mdspark
View Profile
Special user
784 Posts

Profile of mdspark
Quote:
On 2004-01-03 14:09, stephenbanning wrote:
I've tried putting the fans together as dictated by Ganson and it's not as easy as it sounds.

It's a good idea, it's just not as easy as it sounds. First of all, the cards are difficult to glue in the exact position unless you use a glue where you can slide them slightly after the two cards meet. These kinds of glues, however, don't adhere as well because of the card treatments.

The cards initially glue well, but after a few uses, begin to peel off. I've toyed with using steel wool to prep the card surfaces.

I've experimented with regular decks. For the real deal you need 4 sets of identical fanning decks. Is it worth it? I'm still working on that one.

Thanks for the insight.. I was wondering about specifics that you mentioned...I would be great if you could keep us posted on andy progress.
Thanks,
Mark
stephenbanning
View Profile
Regular user
United States
178 Posts

Profile of stephenbanning
Quote:
On 2004-01-03 14:37, mdspark wrote:
Quote:
On 2004-01-03 14:09, stephenbanning wrote:

Thanks for the insight.. I was wondering about specifics that you mentioned...I would be great if you could keep us posted on andy progress.
Thanks,
Mark

I tried SuperGlue and this doesn't work as you can't slide the cards into the exact position so each will be identical. Next I tried Elmers and viced the cards together until dry. The problem is that there is a huge amount of leverage and only a half an inch of overlap. This half an inch doesn't hold well if there is much pressure on the rest of the cards.

I have wondered if I might build a cutout that would hold the cards in place while gluing so that SuperGlue could be used.

The current Abbott's fanning deck costs $20 each which would be pricy. It would be worth it if the effect was assured of working. I'm not at that point and the R&D has been frustrating.

Stephen
mdspark
View Profile
Special user
784 Posts

Profile of mdspark
What about using rubber cement - Has anyone tried that...it seems to work well then I have made a double thick card....Also maybe try a little more overlap than reccomended. Just some thoughts.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I was lucky enough to get the Fan Finale from Supeme before they went out of business. The managed to make the thing up. Mine is still glued together after 15 Years.

You might try a good perminate glue stick, I used it on a Paul Harris trick and the stuff sticks like glue. Stay away from the kids stuff. Go to a store like Office Depot.

Another product I have has success at glueing cards is "Dryline Permanent Adhesive" by liquid paper company. It is film adhesive only that rolls onto the card, and it is only a quarter inch wide.

If you read the routine you only need one faning deck to perform, not 2, re-read the routine. It is the effect that counts and using this aid will help you sell the effects.

You can use any fanning deck available. You do not have to use the Abbott deck, Gordon Miller just added to the design that Supreme Magic orginally had.

If you chose to sand the cards, use 600 wet dry sandpaper to rough the surface for glueing.

Bill Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Lewis Ganson's Fan Finale (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL