The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Card Magic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

shorty51
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of shorty51
Hi, I am in a bit of a dilema. I have quite a few DVD's on card magic amongst some others but keep buying the latest, eg MRD deck, they are all great for a beginner but I cannot decide which one to settle on and perfect, I just keep watching the DVD's, practice a bit then move onto the next one, never actually settling on a particular trick.

Can anyone offer advice as to how I can get out of this syndrome and which would be the best to perfect.

Thanks
T. Durden
View Profile
Loyal user
USA
294 Posts

Profile of T. Durden
I've found that Scotch & Ritalin is a good "buckle down and focus" combo when I need to concentrate on one task. But that's just me.
Magic Pierre
View Profile
Loyal user
212 Posts

Profile of Magic Pierre
Why not just get something that takes you through the basics and focus on that? Get a copy of the first Volume of Card College by Roberto Giobbi and work daily to master basic sleights. Then move on to volume two, or, with the background you will have, go get a Harry Lorayne book (although he would tell you to stay away from his books, but that's another long story)and start working on the tricks one by one. Just pick a place to start and then work from there. Those are the dues that have to be paid to belong to the Fraternity...
charlie_d
View Profile
Loyal user
247 Posts

Profile of charlie_d
Start without gimmicks and without too many sleights. Big Blind Media's "Ultimate Self Working Card Tricks" is a great place to start, check out the reviews. That will give you some solid routines you can try out almost immediately. Don't buy anything else, just pick three from that DVD and perform those routines.
dman11
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
1068 Posts

Profile of dman11
Quote:
On 2013-10-02 16:06, shorty51 wrote:
I just keep watching the DVD's, practice a bit then move onto the next one, never actually settling on a particular trick.

Can anyone offer advice as to how I can get out of this syndrome and which would be the best to perfect.

Thanks

You just need to focus on what you think you will perform. This happens to me when I have to much new stuff. You want to learn it all, and its a lot of fun to do so but you wont perfect anything like that. Make a point not to get anything new for now - put things on your wishlist to pick up later. Work on what you have
illusionactor
View Profile
New user
New York
52 Posts

Profile of illusionactor
I would pick your favorite routine from everything you own and just practice it until you have it down and then go out and perform it. The reactions you will get from all of the hard work you have put into it will help you to appreciate it. I used to find myself in your situation buying everything new that looked nifty. Eventually I wound up with a box full of things I never performed. Now, if I can't see myself doing it for anyone I don't get it. Unless I think I might use something I learn from it with another effect.

I also agree with Magic Pierre that learning the sleights and basics is very important and you should put the time in to do so. When I used to teach magic lessons to beginners, I would teach them one sleight and one effect to use it in. This gives you a chance to practice the sleight as well as make use of it. This allows you to hone both your technical skills and your presentational skills.

Best to you!
RobFromNZ
View Profile
New user
New Zealand
99 Posts

Profile of RobFromNZ
I find a deadline helps. So each month I need one new trick to show at the local magic club. In the end, as the date looms, I need to settle on a single effect and practice it for presentation.

Perhaps if you set yourself some deadlines to perform you'll find that you can knuckle down a little and get one with something.
shorty51
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of shorty51
Thanks for the information and help guys
shorty51
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of shorty51
I have a book that I picked up in a shop probably more than 10 years ago now called Mark Wilsons Complete Course in Magic. It is what it states and covers many basic and more advanced card techniques amongst others not related to card magic. My question is, are the principles explained in the book still utilised today, would I be okay using the book to learn the basics or should I purchase a more upto date DVD or other book?

The book is excellent in explaining these techniques and are easily understood.

Thanks for any advice.
charlie_d
View Profile
Loyal user
247 Posts

Profile of charlie_d
There are a lot fewer principles than you might think, they're just used in new and different ways. So the principles in the Wilson course you will definitely be using. You might find different versions of moves that suit you better, and you might find routines that work better for you. But the Wilson course is definitely a great start.

If you want to get another book, with more up to date material, Card College would be a good choice. But I stand by the DVD recommendation above; great stuff that you can perform almost immediately.
Bicycle Rider
View Profile
New user
93 Posts

Profile of Bicycle Rider
Mark Wilsons Complete Course in Magic is an excellent book to start. Once you find out which branch of magic you like more (card, coins... etc) you could look into further of those areas.
Conjurer of cheap tricks
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
1926 - 2023
New York City
8558 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
And definitely stay away from any Harry Lorayne books.
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
djurmann
View Profile
Inner circle
thinks time to practice and stop writing
1481 Posts

Profile of djurmann
Quote:
On 2013-10-19 20:10, Harry Lorayne wrote:
And definitely stay away from any Harry Lorayne books.

While Harry's comment is somewhat tongue in cheek (his books are highly regarded) in your case I would agree with him! It sounds like you have too much magic and too little focus - you don't need to buy more magic just yet.
cardnerd
View Profile
New user
35 Posts

Profile of cardnerd
I had this same problem. I bought everything I came into contact with and I might single handily kept the magic industry a float in 2010 with all the cash I dumped into downloads, pdfs, books, and DVDs.
RobFromNZ
View Profile
New user
New Zealand
99 Posts

Profile of RobFromNZ
Mark Wilsons book is good. I saw a video recently of a comedy magician performing a card-on-forehead routine. The only sleight he used in the very funny 6 minute routine was one written up in Mark Wilsons book.

In theory, perhaps you have all you need to perform. Now for focus, practice, and presentation...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Card Magic (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL