The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Our new arrivals » » Hello (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Gbhunter77
View Profile
Veteran user
379 Posts

Profile of Gbhunter77
I have been in and out of magic. I have bought some books and vids by Mr Amar and bucks by Paul Harris. I also got DVDs from Jeff McBride but I'm to stupid to comprehand what he does.
I can't even do a simple card fan without screwing it up, perhaps I can get help here as the magic store here is no help.

Hopeless
Magic fan
My youtube channel check it out its magic.
im not great but getting better.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMvQIycva0rFOIdArln7lEg
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Well, Gb, you picked a good name: HUNTER, The (very) late G. W. Hunter has several rope knot tricks named after him.

Ah! the good old days, when brick and mortar shops had MAGICIANS behind the counter, not just clerks.

No, not hopeless~ Hey, If I can do it, ANYONE can!

Patience! Perseverance! Practice! (Produces Pleasing Performances!)
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Gbhunter77
View Profile
Veteran user
379 Posts

Profile of Gbhunter77
I found Jeff McBrides videos were very hard to follow for me, but I'm not very bright so that may be the cause. I wish I was better at this. I wish I could make my own tricks instead of rehashing stuff I learned. If I do magic for a person I do not know(I'm not a performer), in more cases then not I accidently reveal the secret or botch up the trick. But if I do the same trick for someone I know its flawless. I have been thinking of giving up magic since I don't perform and that's the point right?
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3662 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Welcome Gbhunter,

Magic is a performance Art but there are many people who love Magic that never perform. Some collect Magic or love the history, some make magic apparatus, some just practice but never perform.

It sounds a little like you are just a beginner who has wandered into deep water. Pros like Dick Oslund can help steer you right.

If you find one simple effect and focus, it can help a lot.

By the way, your ability to perform for Family and Friends but fail for strangers is not really the norm. For most it is just the opposite.

Nerves are a big hurdle but it gets better with time and performance. There are many here who have gotten through this (including myself) and their experience will show you there is a way through.

Best of Luck!

-Mary Mowder
Gbhunter77
View Profile
Veteran user
379 Posts

Profile of Gbhunter77
Thanks you. I do many tricks, I just wish I could do some of the advance flurishes. Due to the nature of my memory I memorized every slight on Daryls encyclopedia. Have any of you guys ever developed your own tricks? How did you do it.
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3662 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Flourishes do take time and practice to develop.

If you work every day till you are feeling just a little repetitive stress discomfort and then STOP you will progress nicely. Put the cards next to your easy chair so that you can pick them up any time.
Lots of little sessions are better than long ones. If you practice too long it can put you out of commission for a few days with carpal tunnel S. and the like.

-Mary Mowder
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
I made a good living most of my life, performing. I 'aint never invented nothing!

The Grand Canyon was once just a little creek running on top of a mountain! Now look~!!!

Before I started to perform (age 13) I had developed a speech "lock up" whenever I was under any kind of pressure. When I started performing, the problem "went away".

Now, I'm 81, and "they" can't shut me up!!!

The fancy flourished with cards, coins, balls, rope (yes!)may be compared to the frosting on the cake. They do add some "beauty" (eye appeal), but the cake is what it's all about.

Don't be in a rush. Baby steps!!! First the infant crawls, the walks (and falls occasionally)finally runs with confidence.

Think POSITIVE THOUGHTS! Remember the French guy (a hundred years ago) Coeue, I think his name was, Every morning he got up and said to himself: "Day by day, in every way, I am getting better and better."

Having you join is like a breath of fresh air! --You didn't come on telling "us" how clever you are!!!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Gbhunter77
View Profile
Veteran user
379 Posts

Profile of Gbhunter77
You started at 13 lucky. I started at 33 to try an relax from a deathly illness. Is 33 too late?
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3943 Posts

Profile of Julie
Hello GB and welcome aboard!

If you haven't already, I'd suggest you obtain a copy of Mark Wilson's Complete Course In Magic.

This wonderful book will teach you all kinds of tricks in just about every phase of Magic and it has easy-to-follow illustrations and tips on presentation etc.

At the same time, check to see if there's a Magic Club in your area. The International Brotherhood of Magicians (I.B.M.) has clubs called "RINGS"; the other large organization, the Society of American Magicians (S.A.M.), has clubs called "Assemblies"; both are established worldwide.

When you approach either or both of these organizations as a serious newcomer you'll be greeted with camaraderie and many new friends who will be eager to help you "learn Magic".

Above all, relax and have FUN!

(Nope, there's no age limit to start learning Magic and you already have a lot of people right here in the Magic Café ready to assist you.) Smile

Julie
Gbhunter77
View Profile
Veteran user
379 Posts

Profile of Gbhunter77
Currently I own the complete course in magic, all 8 encyclopedias of card sleights by Daryl also almost all card DVD by Michele Amar, I also own all three volumes of Paul Harris books. I know the tricks the sleight but just don't get the responses from my audiance Smile maybe its my presentation?
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3943 Posts

Profile of Julie
'Could very well be. It sounds like joining one of the Clubs mentioned above and/or finding a mentor (your local dealer might have a recommendation for this) is your next logical step.

Don't give up and keep everything in perspective. Nobody, except maybe Jeff McBride, can be "on" all the time! Smile

Maybe performing with "sleights" is not necessarily your thing. Explore all kinds of Magic until something clicks. You'll know when it does.

If it's practical for you--in terms of finances and internet skills--give yourself a project of watching Professional performers in real life situations with non-studio audiences. Avoid the glut of You Tube wannabees who are very obviously anything BUT Professional--it's easy to tell the difference!

Remember> this is a journey and you're able to stop and take a rest period anytime you want to...

Julie
Gbhunter77
View Profile
Veteran user
379 Posts

Profile of Gbhunter77
Thank you
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Our new arrivals » » Hello (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL