The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Curious about ring routine (all three rings passed out for inspection) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

DoctorCognos
View Profile
Elite user
413 Posts

Profile of DoctorCognos
I ask here since when not doing mentalism, I perform primarily on the street.

But I was reading the Tom Franks guest posts, and there was a discussion about the rings. It got me thinking about my routine.

I love the rings and use them as the middle of my routine to get audience interaction etc.

I do a variation of Chris Capehart's three ring routine.

My question is; (and I am trying to be delicate and not give away too much) how do you manage the display of the three rings, even offering them ALL out to be examined. At some point, if you give them all three out at the same time, there must be a "motion", before performance.

For me, I pick up the rings from behind my table, tell them what will happen,magic, amazement and oldest trick in magic, hand the ring out. Then I pass behind my table again, and still talking, begin to perform the routine.

I have tried handing them out. one over here, one over here, get the first one back, and hand out the "third" one, and then get those two back one at a time. But I don't like the feel of it.

Anyone else have a better plan for handling this covered by the audience on three sides. I generally can manage keeping the angles down, and if not can skip the examination.

PM me with info that shouldn't be public.

I am just asking how you prove all three, and then do the routine. I am trying to just sharpen up my routine before I get back to New Orleans. But I can't believe that most of you who do the rings don't have a better solution that I have.

Thanks

The Doctor
The Doctor Knows.....
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
It would be nice if we could simply hand them all out and then start performing. Alas, we can't.
I don't hand any out, actaully, except in passing.

The routine itself, should have moves and feints to prove that they are all the same and fair.

I do a no-table variation of the Ninja Rings Routine and only one ring is ever handed out.
The routine takes care of the rest.

Don't sweat it, is my suggestion.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
noland
View Profile
Veteran user
350 Posts

Profile of noland
Quote:
On 2013-11-08 01:39, DoctorCognos wrote:
I ask here since when not doing mentalism, I perform primarily on the street.

But I was reading the Tom Franks guest posts, and there was a discussion about the rings. It got me thinking about my routine.

I love the rings and use them as the middle of my routine to get audience interaction etc.

I do a variation of Chris Capehart's three ring routine.

My question is; (and I am trying to be delicate and not give away too much) how do you manage the display of the three rings, even offering them ALL out to be examined. At some point, if you give them all three out at the same time, there must be a "motion", before performance.

For me, I pick up the rings from behind my table, tell them what will happen,magic, amazement and oldest trick in magic, hand the ring out. Then I pass behind my table again, and still talking, begin to perform the routine.

I have tried handing them out. one over here, one over here, get the first one back, and hand out the "third" one, and then get those two back one at a time. But I don't like the feel of it.

Anyone else have a better plan for handling this covered by the audience on three sides. I generally can manage keeping the angles down, and if not can skip the examination.

PM me with info that shouldn't be public.

I am just asking how you prove all three, and then do the routine. I am trying to just sharpen up my routine before I get back to New Orleans. But I can't believe that most of you who do the rings don't have a better solution that I have.

Thanks

The Doctor

On page 87 of Cellini's "Royal Touch," Cellini describes a method of apparently passing 3 rings out for examination, but actually only giving out two of them, one of which is switched for the key ring and shown twice. It does require an over-sized key ring.
mike bonfield
View Profile
Regular user
183 Posts

Profile of mike bonfield
Hi , Doc .. why give them out ? make it a fast routine doc ..i am going to put the rings 3 only in to my street show next season ,i would say a good opening trick ....Make like capehart Quick Fast (((( Crash ))))
no need to give them out ......Good Luck DOC ....Regards Mike in U.K
http://www.magiciansinlondon.co.uk
MagiCol
View Profile
Special user
Dargaville, New Zealand
929 Posts

Profile of MagiCol
It would be interesting to get the spectators views re 'proving' all the rings are simply rings. Maybe after a performance talk to spectators and see what their reactions are. I usually shuffle cards as I start a card routine, as the common thought among magicians is that the folk might thing the cards are arranged before hand by the magician. But what percent of spectators even know about arranging cards beforehand. To most of them they're just cards, presumably mixed order [if they even think about THAT].
I think the fun and astonishment for the spectators is in the journey, not in them doing a detailed analysis step by step of exactly what a magician did - or might have done.
Moving quickly on to the next illusion - keeping the spectators occupied - will help them neglect close analysis of the trick/illusion just done.
The presentation makes the magic.
DoctorCognos
View Profile
Elite user
413 Posts

Profile of DoctorCognos
That is what I was looking for. A good discussion of the need to prove or not. I am not terribly unhappy with my handling of the proofs. And sometimes I don't bother with proofs at all. But just wondering if someone had a drop dead proof that I am not smart enough to discover on my own.

Thanks for the comments guys! Keeping me thinking, and how could I ask for more!

The Doctor
The Doctor Knows.....
Faulkner
View Profile
Loyal user
New Orleans
249 Posts

Profile of Faulkner
Off subject but do I know you by another name when you are in New Orleans?? I have a feeling I do. Where do you tend to set up?? Most of the regulars are back. Fire me a pm when your heading down.

As far ad the rings I am no help, I don't prove anything except in handling...for me it takes too much time giving things out...my opinion only.

Faulkner
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Curious about ring routine (all three rings passed out for inspection) (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL