The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Boris Wild Marked Deck (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

ElGnablo
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of ElGnablo
Hello everybody,

being pretty new (and clumsy, I guess that's not helping) to card magic I thought I'd give me an unfair advantage over my unsuspecting audience and got myself a Bill Wilder marked deck. Now, either I've eagle eyes which is unlikely or ... it's just a poor deck.
What's your take on marked decks- are any worthwhile, or should I just skip the idea altogether? I'm fine using a normal deck and can throw in a stripper deck if needed, so I don't really need the marking but for very specific things.

Thanks so much!
magicurt
View Profile
Loyal user
alabama
222 Posts

Profile of magicurt
I am unfamiliar with that deck, but it seems you are saying the marks are quite large and/or obvious. Really, that is not something to be concerned with. Any time you use a marked deck if you treat it right and condition the audience they will not expect a marked deck and won't even look for markings. I know people who never used a thumb tip because they felt guilty using it. They thought it was obvious.

That being said, I do not used a marked deck or any other trick deck simply because I do not want to be somewhere and someone say "show me that trick where you ..." and I cannot because I do not have my trick deck with me.

I think marked decks and such are good within the confines of a set routine.

Just my opinion.
ElGnablo
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of ElGnablo
Thanks magicurt, maybe I'm overly harsh with the deck as I looked at it with the knowledge of it being marked. As the marking includes numbers, some stick out more than others, but your point about proper treatment&timing is well taken. I guess I'll see how I can slot it in and keep embarassment to a minimum until I figured the right circumstances to risk it.
Thanks for your feedback- much appreciated!
Zack_Johnston
View Profile
Special user
California
656 Posts

Profile of Zack_Johnston
Please don't skip out on the opportunity on using a marked deck! Smile

Sorry…I am confused…In the title of the post you said you were using a Boris Wild marked deck, but in your post, you said you were using a Bill Wilder. I have never used or heard of the Bill Wilder marked deck. Sorry!

If we are talking about the Boris Wild marked deck, then I can chime in. I own this one, and I am quite satisfied. Smile

Remember: The first time a magician looks at a good marked deck they have never seen before, they can't find the marks. Once they are told where the marks are, it seems painfully obvious to the magician. Although you can see the marks as clear as day, your spectators can't! Smile Here is a story: I performed a bunch of marked deck routines (about 10). At the end, I handed out the Boris Wild marked deck for examination. One spectator commented, "Check to see if its marked!" Everyone (11 people) examined the cards including this woman who brought up the idea of marked cards, and they couldn't find anything wrong or any marks. Smile

PM me if you have anymore questions. I hope this helped,

Zack Johnston

:bluebikes:
ElGnablo
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of ElGnablo
Hi everyone, Hi Zack,

apologies for the late reply, was travelling a bit workwise.
I took your advice and did a bit of playing with the marked deck, and you're right, worked like a charm and allowed some really nice effects I could not have performed otherwise yet.

So, it helped indeed Smile

Thanks again!
Zack_Johnston
View Profile
Special user
California
656 Posts

Profile of Zack_Johnston
That is great…once you have overcome the magician's guilt of using a marked deck by performing with it for the first time, you shouldn't have any trouble in the future!

Zack Johnston

:bluebikes:
stevemorton
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of stevemorton
Another thought is sealers are easy to buy, and folk trust a sealed deck.
Steve
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
DC area native, now in Atlanta
2351 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
Quote:
On 2013-11-13 20:06, Zack_Johnston wrote:

I handed out the Boris Wild marked deck for examination. One spectator commented, "Check to see if its marked!" Everyone (11 people) examined the cards including this woman who brought up the idea of marked cards, and they couldn't find anything wrong or any marks. Smile

That can be risky, especially with the BW deck, or any other one that can't hold up to a riffle check.
Zack_Johnston
View Profile
Special user
California
656 Posts

Profile of Zack_Johnston
Quote:
On 2013-12-21 13:19, inigmntoya wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-11-13 20:06, Zack_Johnston wrote:

I handed out the Boris Wild marked deck for examination. One spectator commented, "Check to see if its marked!" Everyone (11 people) examined the cards including this woman who brought up the idea of marked cards, and they couldn't find anything wrong or any marks. Smile

That can be risky, especially with the BW deck, or any other one that can't hold up to a riffle check.

You are absolutely right…I was feeling very confident that day. Smile
MMMagic29
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of MMMagic29
Boris Wild will make you want to use a M***** deck. He is incredible.
Koolmagic114
View Profile
Veteran user
319 Posts

Profile of Koolmagic114
My 2 favorite marked decks are the Boris Wild and the Ted Lesley.. If you think Boris's deck is boldly marked.. Check out Ted Lesley's. =:-o
And I can say I have never been caught using either deck.
Eddy

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Co-Creator of "TAGZ" / "Iced Over" / " TelePad" / "Penigma"
www.magicianslair.com
Kingman
View Profile
Loyal user
Willow Spring NC
294 Posts

Profile of Kingman
I have used this deck for a few years now and have never had an issue with someone seeing any of the marks. I made mine originally with the transfers that he used to sell. Then he started having them printed and I have a couple of those decks as well. Never had an issue.
-*-The Card Magic of Kingman-*-

I took the Pledge
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10798 Posts

Profile of saysold1
The best new Mar*ed Deck now is probably "The Code" by Andy Nymaan, just released some months ago. It is top contender at this stage for the Café Trick Of The Year award, and the accolades are well deserved.

Easy to read, fantastic DVD, great routines and teaching by Andy Nyman. Great price too.

Highest recommendation - it takes the normal MD and put it on steroids making it capable of FAR more, with 3 pieces of information which are well hidden and easy to see.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of aerospace level quality, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
Pasteboard Alchemist
View Profile
Special user
502 Posts

Profile of Pasteboard Alchemist
Given that the original poster's concern/reason for posting about the Boris Wild deck was that he felt the marks were *too* visible, I will note that (while a fine deck) The Code has more markings. If they're more hidden or not than the original poster's take on the Boris Wild deck... that's highly subjective so I won't bother offering my opinion on that. That being said, I've used Boris Wild, the Ultimate Marked Deck, and The Code in working situations and none have ever been spotted. I'll admit to only having used the code a handful of times before returning to the Ultimate Marked Deck (thankfully, I bought a few bricks of these with the knowledge they were going out of print) for two reasons: 1) not having the flexibility of using Rider Back gaffs was disappointing (The Code is only in Maiden Back), 2) there's not a single effect in The Code that I can't perform with the UMD although, yes, I may need to use the alternate hand at times (this will not be the case for anyone that doesn't know their stack inside-and-out).
Card-Shark
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1758 Posts

Profile of Card-Shark
Maybe you want to give the Phoenix Decks and their marked versions a chance. You can find all important information and a close-up look how the markings work here (they are based on the Ted Lesley markings btw, but are much easier to read): http://www.release-the-power.com

Thanks
Expert in playing card production for magicians.

The Person Who Says It cannot Be Done Should Not Interrupt The Person Doing It!
Chinese Proverb
FlorianHeller
View Profile
Regular user
Bonn, Germany
200 Posts

Profile of FlorianHeller
Aaaah Christian, I was wondering when someone would come up with the Phoenix, and I was about to! I just bought the MD pack with the DVD and I loved it, I'm really satisfied with it, and in comparison to other MD, I find that it is better. Even only for the special design of the normal Phoenix cards, I would stick to Phoenix. Smile
Eeeeeeeet hop disparu !

www.florian-heller.com
websmith2000
View Profile
New user
96 Posts

Profile of websmith2000
Until I watched Boris Wild's lecture I didn't realize that a key advantage of his deck is that you can find a specific card quickly. He uses this fact to create some interesting effects that would look awkward with other decks. That said, identifying a card is slower. So which deck to use is dependent on the effects you are interested in.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Boris Wild Marked Deck (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL