The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Hang 'em High (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

John
View Profile
Regular user
153 Posts

Profile of John
I wonder if any of you have had good experience with an effect marketed a few years ago as "Hang 'em High." I have enjoyed it - a classic packs small, plays large effect with decent audience involvement.
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
The first time I saw Bob Sheets perform his “Hang-em High” was over 15 years ago at the Maryland "Renaissance Festival. He had used the rope of a novel "Cards to Envelope" routine (rope held by two spectators and the envelope hanging from the center of the rope). Then he went right into the penetration effect. Without having the spectators drop their ends first or without any obvious switching the rope. I was pleasantly amazed. I was performing a similar version from the Fantisio’s notes (uses three ropes to pull off the effect!) and loved Bob’s elegant and simple idea!

Bob Sheets did not market this effect for several years after he started to perform it. I think that he decided to market it because he felt that someone would rip him off and take credit for it. I bought it from Al Cohen when it was first released. Unfortunately several dealers have blatantly ripped Bob off and sold the effect without credit or with out paying Bob his due.

I don’t use this effect as much today as I did 8 or ten years ago. I have reverted to a gimmick less rope through the body that I used even before I played around with the Fantisio version. I tend to use a very old U. F. Grant version (published in the late 40’s) that I had used back in the early 60’s. I use a spectator (usually a petit woman) and two BIG men. Wrap the rope around the woman a couple of times and have the men pull hard. The rope passes harmlessly through her body! TA-DA! Similar effect, different methodology.

Maybe I’ll just have to dig it out again and recycle it! It is good and I do like it.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
magic_kris
View Profile
Regular user
Louisville, KY
123 Posts

Profile of magic_kris
This probably belongs in the Knots & Loops category...

Bob Sheets recently performed this on the Magic in the Streets special on the Travel Channel. It looked great! In fact, I believe it closed the show. It's on my list...

Mumblepeas, is the U. F. Grant version the one performed by Magic Unlimited on WGM 5?
It sounds similar?
John Macmillan
View Profile
Loyal user
Vancouver, BC
226 Posts

Profile of John Macmillan
The effect is also written up in Magic Magazine a couple of years back. SHould be able to find it in the index on magic magazines web page.

The penetration is really terrific.
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6732 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
I agree with everyone here. I did the effect for many years and loved it. I finally came up with my own version that has rope that can be fully examined... as a matter of fact, when I would do it I always had a clothesline that was still sealed in the orginal package. It was a bit of a pain to do, but I did it to try and fool other magicians... it did. I now do a walking through a rope using the Pavel Walking Knot, but it's now a funnier routine.
Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Kris, I don’t know if Magic Unlimited performs the Grant version or not. I did not see the WGM 5 show. If it was a single rope wrapped around a person a couple of times, then penetrated through the person effect, then it was probably based on the Grant version. Without seeing it myself, I really cannot say for sure.

Sorry
John
View Profile
Regular user
153 Posts

Profile of John
Mumblepeas,

Thanks for your thoughtful response. I got the effect from Al's Magic Shop too. Is there any place easily to find the 1940's U.F. Grant rope through body effect?
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Abbotts Magic Co published grants Rope Trick in “Nite Club Illusions” as Cutting a Woman In Half.

They may still have it listed.
mikeB
View Profile
New user
UK
84 Posts

Profile of mikeB
It is still listed on page 245 and is priced at $7.50.

I knew that catalogue would come in handy one day Smile
Cheers

Mike
Your Reality Is A Figment Of My Imagination
themaestro
View Profile
New user
TX
50 Posts

Profile of themaestro
I don't think Magic Unlimited used the Grant version. I'm pretty sure they used two ropes and the rope and tape principle(at least that's what Tarbell called it.)

Nowlin Craver
Nowlin Craver
ecno
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of ecno
Can this trick be done with a shoelace so I don't have to carry a gimmicked rope with me?
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
There are several versions of a string (shoelace) penetrating a finger or wrist in the literature. Check out Gardner’s “Encyclopedia of Impromptu Magic”.

However, the Grant Rope Penetration I mentioned above is entirely ungimmicked. All you need is a length of rope (a bout 8 feet will do nicely) or thick ribbon.

You could perform a stretching rope routine then go into the penetration rope routine and you have the start of a nice rope segment to your act.

The two rope (or two tape) version based on “Grandma’s Necklace” principle (old in the 1500’s!) can be gimmicked during the presentation. Sam Berland used to hand out the two ropes for examination, and then perform the Grandma’s Necklace/Two Tapes penetration on an audience volunteer. He used a very easy to obtain (from your local hardware store for less than a dollar USD) “thingy” and set the ropes up right in front of the audience and spectator. It was (and is) a great routine! But then Sam was a genius!

Bottom line, an 8 or 10-foot length of ungimmicked rope really does not take up all that much room. For a platform, club, or parlor performer it makes the show look BIG! I think that creating the illusion that your show fills a room is worth it!
ecno
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of ecno
I looked for Grant's Rope Trick (Nite Club Illusions) on Abbotts Magic Co website and I searched the internet.
I couldn't find it.
Any ideas where I can buy it?
Or if someone's interested in trading, let me know.

Thank you.
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
It is still in their catalogue. Email them directly and ask if they still carry it and the cost if they do. Should be less than $10.00.

Email or PM me if they don't carry it anylonger and I'll help you out with a version.
bluemagic
View Profile
Loyal user
271 Posts

Profile of bluemagic
What you think about hang em high now. Is anyone doing the routain now
bluemagic
View Profile
Loyal user
271 Posts

Profile of bluemagic
I'm thinking of buying the DVD.
bkmeyer
View Profile
Regular user
Greenville, SC
119 Posts

Profile of bkmeyer
What makes the effect even stronger in my opinion is the card effect that precedes the penetration that also employs the rope. The spectators have had time to handle the rope throughout so the penetration is even more convincing.
bluemagic
View Profile
Loyal user
271 Posts

Profile of bluemagic
Thank you do you use whole routine
bkmeyer
View Profile
Regular user
Greenville, SC
119 Posts

Profile of bkmeyer
Blue,

I don't currently use the routine but I hope to in the near future. I do own the DVD, but haven't worked on the routine yet.

Bruce
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Hang 'em High (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL