The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Balloon Modelling Vs. magic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Red Shadow
View Profile
Inner circle
1788 Posts

Profile of Red Shadow
Im wondering what the general consensus is on which is more profitable? Balloon Modelling or Magic?

Ive personally done both and they both have plus and minuses. Magic has a problem of attracting gangs of teenagers which scares the families with money away. Teenages never have any money to give and have nothing better to do that annoy you by not leaving. They even pretend to put money in, but instead only put copper in the hat, or worse take money out of the hat.

Balloon modelling seems to be more controlled and less problematic. I know a busker who doesn't even have a hat, he holds out his hand so that he can see what the person wants to gives him. This is to stop those people giving him copper. If they do give him shapnel, he gives it them straight back saying 'give it to a charity shop instead, this is my living'. Usually they feel embaressed enough to take out a decent coin or he just walks away without giving them anything.

But balloon modelling is a trickle effect. Its small coins, one at a time. You also need to make a bunch of balloons to draw in the people and you run the risk of it becoming a sales pitch. You have to be careful that you stay on the side of busking for donations.
On a good day, your a balloon making machine, spenidng six hours non-stop twisting. Its a strain on the fingers and because your not exerting a lot of energy, you feel the cold weather more. Balloons are also not free and you have the problem with returns and popped ones. There is a cost involved not found with magic.
Magic is a crowd building exercise and so you have a magic minute at the end of a 15 minute set to get as much money as possible. Sometimes this is profitable, but other times it sends people running. that's to be expected but crowds require people, and some shopping centres are dead. Balloon modelling can still be done in the quietists of towns as there are always mums with children in trollies.

Still the traffic is what will determine which artform will bring in the most. But in general, what do you prefer doing? What is easier to do as a 'job' and which do you think is the most profitable overall?
NYCTwister
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of NYCTwister
I primarily a twister who works in NYC. I've been doing this full time since my job "ended" in June. I've done very well busking balloons but I've decided to switch to magic in the spring for a number of reasons.

First of all I'm trying to build a business as a children's entertainer and I've found that people only want me for balloons for the most part since is what they've seen me doing. So this is not as lucrative as magic to me. The magic shows that I've done are 3X better for my pocket.

Another reason is the need to replace balloons on a regular basis which gets expensive. When I busk it isn't trickles for coins as I also take the money by hand, though I never count it. I just shove it in my cargo pants pocket. My average hourly take is around $45 doing one on one busking for rather elaborate styles (4-5 balloon sculptures). So it isn't exactly trickles but I know that I can do much better with magic. In addition I will be showing magic so that is what people will ask for when they call. It seems that the average tip in NYC is more than you were speaking about, but it's relative since it costs a freaking fortune to live here. As far as traffic, that's not a problem here. Often it's too much traffic.

Also it gets boring. Even though I take requests, play stump the balloon guy and what not, let's face it you make the same 20 - 30 things over and over. What I love about balloons is the larger more elaborate stuff. I want to get into delivery pieces and installations which will keep me interested and challenged.

I guess if you can do both both with equal skill it's a personal preference. Magic seems to be more lucrative. I know that if I do just 2 shows an hour I can match my hourly take from balloons EASILY. The upside from there is huge.

I'm going to start a thread about my progress when I start in the spring, so we'll see how it goes.
If you need fear to enforce your beliefs, then your beliefs are worthless.
NYCTwister
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of NYCTwister
Btw I'm going to be doing a show for kids. I've found that people are more generous when you make their kids happy than when you make them happy.
Yellowcustard
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1334 Posts

Profile of Yellowcustard
I think you can make money out of either. Balloon twisting is worth knowing and I know a guy that dose a 40 min street magic show and before his last effect he makes a balloon animal and give it to his volunteer and announces he will make more at the end. He hats his show then dose balloon which he charges for. It works for him. Also its great to watch Mario Morris and his wife work a pitch together as well.

The one thing I think of is a lot of places I have busked don't mind me doing magic show to crowds and using hat lines to make them pay. But if I out up a sign saying $$ a balloon model then I am street trading and there not into that. So I would stick with magic.

Not to start of topic but I find teenagers help me to build a crowd and are fun to have in a crowd.
Enjoy your magic,

and let others enjoy it as well!
Ekuth
View Profile
Inner circle
Floating above my
1538 Posts

Profile of Ekuth
Teens never tip. Ever.

Twisting has consistently made me more scratch than busking ever did.
I do both; start with magic and if it's not a good night... out come the 260's and in nothing flat I have a line of a dozen parents with kids wanting and waiting for balloons.

At a buck a balloon, it adds up quick.

Also, my sign has two sides:

Magic Show!

and on the reverse:

Balloon Animals: $1 suggested donation. That way I'm not selling, I'm still busking and don't need a business license.
"All you need is in Fitzkee."
MagiCol
View Profile
Special user
Dargaville, New Zealand
929 Posts

Profile of MagiCol
I enjoy working magic as my first pick. The balloons bring in more money. So I do both magic and balloons. Because of the distance to get to my pitch, much of my money goes to transport costs, and the balloons are what I rely on to bring in the bulk of the money.
I have a balloon Menu Board with models shown in photographs. I restrict the models to mostly one-balloon models I can twist quickly to make more money. As time allows I explain the development of the dog etc. as I make it, so folk get entertainment which I can make elaborate or quick to suit waiting folk.
The balloons and magic tend to get in each other's way, since I've got to find out which one the folk want. Some folk don't like waiting until my magic is over before they get to order their balloon. Like Ekuth I have a sign hanging from my table "Ask to see my Magic Show. Donations appreciated" on one side, and "Balloon Animal, a donation appreciated".
Teenager layabouts: very poor givers, ask for balloons free, some are intent on disrupting the magic.
I had a bad day out on Friday - didn't even cover my travel costs [they're high] after 2 3/4 hours on the street- I think people are too busy with Christmas shopping and want to keep their money for the Christmas expenses. Hassles from some teenagers included a hand into my hat grabbing out a couple of dollars [she put the money back when I told her I'd report her for theft], and stolen marker pen.
The presentation makes the magic.
Red Shadow
View Profile
Inner circle
1788 Posts

Profile of Red Shadow
Glad to hear I'm not the only one who finds teens troublesome and thieves. Also glad to hear that others find balloon modelling more profitable than the magic.

I feel the general public understand that you don't get something for nothing, so by taking a balloon, they feel they have to give you something. Unlike after a magic show where at least half your audience do a runner. Whats left reluctantly gives you the bare minimum, and often they say 'i don't have any money, but I just wanted to say that it was a good show''. Yeah, right. You came out to the shops without any money, and your going to ignore the atm machine in front of us. Sometimes you wonder why you even bothered.

But back to teens, I get rid of them as soon as possible. The main problem with them is that they scare the parents with children away, who I find are my best audience. Getting rid of them ain't easy, usually I just blank them out so as to not incur their wrath. Giving them any attention what-so-ever usually just opens up a series of dialogue with them which makes them stay. I sometimes say that I'm here for the five year olds. Implying with my tone that unless you want to be treated like babies, then move on.
You could try building an audience with them by doing a trick, but they will still scare the money-givers away, so I find that a crowd just doesn't build with them around, and they will be the first to leave at the end of the show, without paying. Which sets an example to the others that they too don't have to pay.

I too have a balloon board, displaying 12 simple models allowing them to point and choose. Its visual and makes my job a lot easier. My fingers will ache at the end of the day though. But your agreement that balloons brings in more money than magic gives me peace of mind, that my doing more balloons recently rather than magic has been the right decision. I never really made much with the magic in this country, but the balloons did a good job and while occasionally slow traffic might mean some quieter moments, at least I don't have to talk to people as its mainly a visual experience.
Magician Shaun
View Profile
Special user
Huntington BCH, CA
924 Posts

Profile of Magician Shaun
I totally disagree with the statement that teens never tip. The last time I was out busking I got 2 $20 tips that day and each one was from a teen who pulled the cash out of their own pocket and dropped it in the hat. I will admit that this the exception but I find that even teens will tip. Perhaps it has to do with the area?

I twist and do magic. I am much better at magic so for me I am going to say magic. Busking doing only magic I have and can make ~$100/hr I would say that is at the high end though more often it will be in the ~$30-$50 range. I think if you discard the cost of balloons then this is better money. I also enjoy the crowds more than a trickle. I also don't do 15 minutes of crowd building without magic. I have a system that starts with closeup tricks and the progressively get "LARGER" and thus the crowd builds. The people who walk up just for the Cups and Balls at the end will often on throw a few bucks in the hat while the people that stopped first are more likely to give big bills or "hit you with paint..."

Just my $.02!
NYCTwister
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of NYCTwister
I think that it is a geographic thing. As I stated in a previous post I primarily busk balloons and while the money is good, oftentimes great like today, I'm convinced, from watching other street performers, that I'll make more with magic. It will certainly be easier. Right now my hands are sore. I also enjoy entertaining so....

No offense but I sensed a certain negativity in your last post, the teens, the cheap people etc. IF that's true it's toxic. Teens especially will pick up on this and they will make your life miserable. If it's not true I apologize.

As far as the people who say they don't have cash it could be a ruse but it could also be the truth. It's a sign of the times. My suggestion is to get a square and accept credit cards. Might not help but it's virtually free. You could also use it to take deposits on your non-street shows, back of room etc. I'll be getting one as soon as I get rid of my "dumb phone". As far as the ATM is concerned they might not want to pay a hefty fee to get their own money. I know I will never do it except in an emergency.

I personally don't use a sign of any sort for a few reasons.
In NYC a suggested donation/tip is the same as selling, at least in the eyes of the street police who often aren't as sure of the laws as I am. Trying to explain it to them does more harm than good.

Another reason is that if you make a suggestion it's probably all you'll get. The method I've come to use, through trial and error, when someone asks "how much" is to say "Whatever you think it's worth WHEN I'M FINISHED." Since I don't do one balloon models a fair person usually will tip in the range of $1 per balloon used when they see the difference in quality. My average tip is probably around $5.
For the occasional wise *** who says "I don't think it's worth anything" trying to get over, they get met with me saying "well, I'll just keep it for someone who thinks it is." I still get the occasional $1. but I've found that karma works on these occasions and someone will come along and tip $20, balancing the scales.
Just today I did a family of 4 kids. I did 4 balloon giraffes for the girls and two balloon swords with 2 balloon shields for the boys. These models use 350's so the cost adds up. The father shoved three folded up dollars into my hand and scurried away. Right after they left an elderly couple came up to me and the gentleman said "I saw what you did for those kids" and handed me $30, and took a picture of us together.

The point is if you give a quality product you will make $$ in the end. Just have faith, keep smiling and it will all work out.

Good luck man and Happy Holidays.
Magician Shaun
View Profile
Special user
Huntington BCH, CA
924 Posts

Profile of Magician Shaun
NYCTwister,

I work in Atlanta and on the street I only do 1 balloon models. I have found that my average tip is $5 for these. I work in an area where it is mostly tourists and I don't know if that affects it. I only do balloons as an addition not really the main attraction. I have a bit in my show at the end that gets lots of laughs and uses a balloon. I end up making a monkey for a kid. If usually only do the balloons on a slow day when I am working a trickle anyway. The reason for that is that if I do balloons it will become a trickle and I would much rather do half or full circles if I can.
NYCTwister
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of NYCTwister
Shaun,

$5 for a one balloon 260 is outstanding! Undoubtedly the tourists have something to do with it as they are usually expecting to spend money on vacation but still...

A question for ku7uk3 if I may. From another post of yours you said that you've scaled down from 600 to 300 shows a year so why busk at all. Myself I cant wait until I'm booked so solid. Busking is hard and uncertain and possibly dangerous so why bother? Just wondering.
Wes Holly
View Profile
Special user
Cincinnati, OH, USA
644 Posts

Profile of Wes Holly
Quote:
On 2013-12-20 17:15, ku7uk3 wrote:
Im wondering what the general consensus is on which is more profitable? Balloon Modelling or Magic?

If you are comparing balloon twisting with street corner shows where the audience is like 10-15 people, the hat difference may not be that great. If you are averaging ~$30+ per 20 minute show, then doing 2 shows per hour would put you are at or above what you would be earning with balloons.

Of course, every pitch and every day is different. If attracting a tipping crowd is difficult, switching to balloons will keep food on the table.

Balloon twisting can be non-stop work - shows are like 20 minutes on, 10 minutes off.
Balloon twisting uses up(cheap)inventory - shows reuse the same items again & again.
Happily Yours,
Wes Holly
www.wesholly.com
Cincinnati, OH, USA
Red Shadow
View Profile
Inner circle
1788 Posts

Profile of Red Shadow
This year I did around 250 shows. My price went up so I pretty much made the same. That's why I haven't been busking in a while as I didn't need to. I also wasn't a big fan of it, but when I did do it, it made enough to pay for itself. But not as much as I would have liked.

The reason for the question is I am thinking of moving house and there is a town I think I should move to which is an active busking location as well as being a rich area for shows. I might choose to move there for shows, but like the peace-of-mind of knowing that should times get tough, I can just head out into town and busk to pay the bills. It might not be a problem now, but in twenty years time when the internet has been replaced with the cyberdyne system. It could be useful living in a location where I don't have to worry about my marketing as much.
jakeg
View Profile
Inner circle
1741 Posts

Profile of jakeg
Do most balloon buskers make 1 balloon models or multi ballons. What tupe of setup are you suing? Are the models simple, basic figures, or are mor complicated? I did some balloon busking about 10 yrs ago. I had a permanent spot, set up a rolling table and a floor pump. I velcroed a menu to the front of the table. The few balloon buskers that I've seen since, used aprons and walked around .... mainly on the boardwalk. They never seemed to have a crowd around them, 1 or 2 people, but were steadily busy. None of them did a show.
Wes Holly
View Profile
Special user
Cincinnati, OH, USA
644 Posts

Profile of Wes Holly
Quote:
On 2013-12-26 17:37, jakeg wrote:
Do most balloon buskers make 1 balloon models or multi ballons. What tupe of setup are you suing? Are the models simple, basic figures, or are mor complicated?

What I hear from the grapevine is that most(not all) balloon buskers are making simple 1-2 balloon creations. The idea is that they're only gonna get the $1 tip so why get fancy? Myself, I can't tolerate the simple sh*t. All of mine are 2-3 balloons each. They look nicer, are quick enough for me, but aren't my A+ material. Yah, I get a lot of $1 (and a few stiffs), but enough people tip more to raise the hourly average to a tolerable level.

My set up is a balloon bag on a stand which I can easily pick it up and move if needed. I carry a menu sheet that I hand to the parents, who help the kids make a choice and then pass it to the folks behind them.
Happily Yours,
Wes Holly
www.wesholly.com
Cincinnati, OH, USA
Red Shadow
View Profile
Inner circle
1788 Posts

Profile of Red Shadow
I stuck with 1 balloon creations, apart from the flower which takes 2. I would occasionally add extra bits like a web on the Spider if I felt it was worth it. I have an A-frame board displaying a small selection of what I could make.

At the time, I had a hat on the floor as I was told by the town centre staff that that was the way to do things in their town. But I have since learnt from speaking to other buskers that I should not have a hat, and rather take donations into my hand to avoid insulting tips like copper and having to confront thieves.
MagiCol
View Profile
Special user
Dargaville, New Zealand
929 Posts

Profile of MagiCol
I got a good piece of advice from a fellow balloonist:
[When you're selling models] Don't take the money from people when they order the balloon, tell them to hold on to it and you'll collect it at the end. Then I tell a person "Now we do a swap, I give you the dog and you give me your money." The idea is that anyone who comes up to you during your model making will see the money exchange hands in return for the model and understand that the balloons are not free, but to be paid for. For little kids, it's a practical way to understand about paying for something.
The presentation makes the magic.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Balloon Modelling Vs. magic (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL