The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Your favourite steak? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Well then! Killed that topic dead! It's what I do so well... Smile
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
I thought it was because I mentioned how delicious testicles are.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Quote:
On 2013-12-24 11:56, critter wrote:
...always have to go with the rocky mountain oysters as appetizers.

OMG...that's what they are??? WTF??? Why do we eat...testicles?? AARRGH! What animal might they be from??? Beginning to retch...'scuse me a moment...

WHEW! Okie dokie...STEAK, yes...steak. Whoa. Myself, I gotta try more things with it. Appetizers aside... Smile

Doug
Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4451 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
Bulgogi! One of my favorites. There's several large Korean supermarkets 1/2 mile from my house...Bulgogi is Rib Eye sliced very thinly and gently spiced/marinade. At $4 a pound, it's a grand bargain. It's fun to play with in the kitchen because you keep thinking up new ways to use it.

But...it's not a steak when it's been Bulgogied. I have a tub of it in the fridge at least one week out of the month. Perfect for quick fixes...pan fried and finished with a tablespoon of BBQ sauce: Instant ribeye BBQ! Bulgogi is an incredible invention, in my opinion, Korea's best. A pound will last you a long time.

I find it an easy way to cut down on the quantity of meat I use. A little is just fine.

Rocky Mountain Oysters: From calves when they are castrated. According to Google, often simply roasted over an open fire.

(One more reason I'm not a cowboy.)
We dance an invisible dance to music they cannot hear.
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Yikes, I never heard of it, but I'd sure like to try some. Unfortunatley I live in a rural area with very few ethnic markets. I'll have to look for it the next time I'm up in NYC, or Philly.
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Bulgogi? Wonderful! I use this:

http://ispyfood.files.wordpress.com/2012/07/kbs1.jpg

Marinate overnight for best results...

Doug
Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4451 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
Bulgogi comes in 2 forms, Rib Eye and Pork. The pork is much more spiced...not hot, just a different strange, very likable Korean flavor. The pork isn't as versatile as the beef as its flavor will be assertive. Both are really good, tho. Get both if you can.
We dance an invisible dance to music they cannot hear.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Oh you're right I just found it!

http://www.shoptheeast.com/1272-805-larg......3-oz.jpg

Gotta try that. Thanks Tom!
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Quote:
On 2013-12-25 12:59, Dougini wrote:
The Vietnamese have a beef dish called Five Spice Beef & Bean Sprouts. One of the best beef dishes I have ever had! After all this time, I really thought Vietnamese would take off! It never did... Smile

Yes. I love that dish. Luckily, there is a Vietnamese restaurant right down the street from me! But you're right, there don't seem to be as many as there once were.
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6136 Posts

Profile of motown
The one I don't have to pay for.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Quote:
On 2013-12-26 20:34, mastermindreader wrote:
Luckily, there is a Vietnamese restaurant right down the street from me! But you're right, there don't seem to be as many as there once were.

I wonder what happened. Luckily, my Vietnamese dollbaby I dated taught me quite a bit. Chả giò and Nem rán are two dishes I like to make. I need a new deep fryer. Also Bánh tráng cuốn is good if you like the fresh rolls. You must make Nước chấm to go with them though.

As far as beef goes, ribeye can be used to make Bo Luc Lac (Shaking Beef). To make a good Vietnamese dish you must start with the best Nước mắm you can buy. So far, I have not found better than this:

http://spartanholiday.files.wordpress.co......auce.jpg

These are what I have and use:

http://www.vietworldkitchen.com/.a/6a00d......0c-500wi

Another beef dish people rave about is Beef with Garlic, Black Pepper, and Lime. I'm thinking steak-lovers would marinate a ribeye in this and grill it. Nước mắm and beef work very well together.

Doug
foolsnobody
View Profile
Special user
Buffalo, NY
843 Posts

Profile of foolsnobody
Quote:
On 2013-12-26 10:21, Dougini wrote:
Well then! Killed that topic dead! It's what I do so well... Smile

Lol. Good work young man! Smile
NYCTwister
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of NYCTwister
The one in front of me.
If you need fear to enforce your beliefs, then your beliefs are worthless.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Someone sent me a link and said this is the Best Steak Marinade in Existence:

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/best-steak-......istence/

Ya know..I have to admit, Sauerbraten is one of the best I have EVER eaten. That was Germany, 1975. Then, in Florida, I had my first Country-Fried Steak! OMG! It was at a little place in Fort Myers, called the Fowler Street Grill!

http://www.fowlerstreetgrill.com/

This is the classic Country-Fried Steak (they call it Chicken fried steak
with country gravy…8.99), not a hamburg patty! If you have never had steak this way, you are in for a treat!

Doug
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Doug, there is actually a difference between the two, most notably that Chicken Fried Steak is dipped in an egg wash during the flouring (which produces a crispier coating, much like fried chicken), and the fact that country fried steak is traditionally served with brown gravy, not white/pepper gravy. Chicken fried steak is classically served with the white gravy. There are MANY places that cross those lines, though. Both ways are really good, too!

I make a pretty badass Country Fried Steak with onions in the gravy. I make it with cube steak, although you can go the extra mile and pound some round steak, but the results are really no better IMO. It's a good thing to cook in a covered electric skillet.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Thank you, Michael! That is a good bit of info! The "Country Gravy" IS a white gravy, by the way. The way they make it. Awww man. My mouth is watering...and .damn...you're too far away! I just gotta put my chef coat on, and learn this...

Chef Doug
Ray Tupper.
View Profile
Special user
NG16.
749 Posts

Profile of Ray Tupper.
Just made the sauce for tonights steak.
Clarified butter, plain flour, milk, black pepper, and, Long Clawson Stilton.
The Stilton is made just down the road from me, and is gorgeous.
Poured onto the top of a medium rare 16oz fillet....Divine!
We're drinking "Old golden hen" beer at the mo', but will switch to Port
once we're eating. The cheese sauce makes the steak go with the Port wonderfully.
Tonight will be a good night.
What do we want?
A cure for tourettes!
When do we want it?
C*nt!
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
3017 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
I almost always go for the filet, medium rare.
One of the best steaks I ever had was at a restaurant in Paris, though I don't remember what the cut was. Bill Campbell and Etienne (Lawrence O) were there, so they might recall. Boy was that good - and the escargot to start was magnificent.
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
The restaurant that my dad and I had back in the 1970s, featured 3 steaks on our nightly menu. We offered a Filet with Bearnaise (actually two sizes of that steak), a Steak au Poivre Flambé au Cognac, and a flame grilled Ribeye that was cut and sold by the inch. We developed our own marinade, but I have played with others since that time. All were extremely popular.

It was frustrating though at times to have someone order a filet well-done, "skip that Bernie sauce, and bring me some ketchup."

Ray, I intend to try that cheese sauce. It sounds really good. I frequently top my personal Ribeyes with Blue Cheese.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Your favourite steak? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL