The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » I need help finding a closer (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

LuckyLuu
View Profile
New user
Calgary, AB
15 Posts

Profile of LuckyLuu
Good evening everyone,

So I have been practicing this routine that involves a prediction of a card at any number followed by a spectator dealing the missing card of a poker hand. The patter is along the lines of using the power of influence/suggestion to make the spectator do what I want and I am having some trouble coming up with a good closing effect.

Any ideas fellow artists?
Jonathan Gold
View Profile
New user
Montreal, Canada
38 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Gold
Can you elaborate on the routine a little bit? Is the CAAN the same card that completes the poker hand? Without more to go on, what about some sort of kicker ending where they find what they think is the wrong card, only to find the other 4 cards change to make a royal flush or something?
LuckyLuu
View Profile
New user
Calgary, AB
15 Posts

Profile of LuckyLuu
So I start off by writing down a prediction and then stating "Think of a number between 1 and 30". Once the number is stated and the amount of cards are dealt out, the card is revealed to be the same as the prediction. Then I go into a trick where I introduce 4 cards from a different deck, give them the deck, let them deal the cards until they feel they have dealt the missing card of the 4 card poker hand and it turns out to be the card that was missing.

I hope this gives you a little more insight Jonathan.
Deadsets
View Profile
Loyal user
212 Posts

Profile of Deadsets
Card to impossible location would be a quick bang ending. Id go card to specs wallet or ring box.

Im not sure how you would tie this in, maybe get them to sign this 5th poker card and then then go into it.

I would stay away from another prediction. OOTW would be good too depending on how long you want the set, still has a similar theme also.
failed_drummer
View Profile
Veteran user
314 Posts

Profile of failed_drummer
Ernest Earick has some incredible poker routines in By Forces Unseen, if you want to carry on the poker theme.
LuckyLuu
View Profile
New user
Calgary, AB
15 Posts

Profile of LuckyLuu
I like the idea of card to impossible location but how could that be worked into the patter is another issue...
orchid666
View Profile
Special user
u.k
626 Posts

Profile of orchid666
Hiya. Do you want to perform your closing routine with the same deck you've been using throughout your set?
Also, what kinda vibe do you have going on? You mentioned influence/suggestion, so is it presented in a dark mysterious way? Or more fun and entertaining?
I can think of a few good suggestions, so would be good to know what angle you're going for?
K
LuckyLuu
View Profile
New user
Calgary, AB
15 Posts

Profile of LuckyLuu
I guess it would be more dark and mysterious.
Billy-one
View Profile
Inner circle
IOWA
1028 Posts

Profile of Billy-one
Return the deck into new deck order or color change the backs, both via a deck switch, was my first thought...yet that doesn't do anything for your presentation.

Perhaps start with, "your sitting down an playing cards with a famous celeberity", you get them to write down the celebs name and get the information via your favorite method. During the routine you have them imagine the celeberity in the game, as you remark, "You would be neverous around the celeberity your thinking about, this is good...it will allow me to influence your choices, yet only if you really belive and imagine he or she is in your presence".....then your do your routine and to finish you reveal the celeb they are mearly thinking about.

Billy
orchid666
View Profile
Special user
u.k
626 Posts

Profile of orchid666
Ok cool, me too. Smile actually I have a few sets depending on the gig. Classic card magic, gambling themed, and a darker set that I perform most that involves subjects like voodoo, prediction, influence etc. Smile
In my opinion, a closing effect is something that should be built up to during your set, and should be the strongest and ultimate demonstration of whatever subject you've chosen.
If you don't mind introducing a different prop, I've had really amazing reactions with an esp card matching routine. A spectator and performer have 5 esp cards each. They're laid face down in a row (always spectator first to prove the cards aren't marked) and at the end, every one of the 5 pairs match perfectly. Hoping you're aware of the effect, because it doesn't read as good as it actually is. Honestly I've had people truly believe that I've influenced their every choice, and not one, but 5 perfect matches really sells the possibility. There are loads of recent versions of this effect, but if you're interested in it, then the original 'esp match up' by mark leveridge is the one to get. Mark sells it for a bargain price of £10!, and be sure to check out the additional ideas by Ali bongo on marks website.
Even if you don't fancy esp cards, I've performed this with 'regular' cards,matching the mates, and it went down just as well.
Obviously any effect depends on performance, so if you do try this, milk it for all it's worth!
K
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
French Riviera
6811 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
Quote:
On 2013-12-27 01:33, LuckyLuu wrote:
Good evening everyone,

So I have been practicing this routine that involves a prediction of a card at any number followed by a spectator dealing the missing card of a poker hand. The patter is along the lines of using the power of influence/suggestion to make the spectator do what I want and I am having some trouble coming up with a good closing effect.

Any ideas fellow artists?

Block the assisting spectator's speaking ability with dual reality as you do the routine you described. Then IT will be your closer... (check Frazer Parker's True Mysteries)
Magic is the art of emotionally sharing live impossible situations
fonda57
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
3080 Posts

Profile of fonda57
I find that any trick where the deck vanishes can be a good closer
AdamChance
View Profile
Special user
656 Posts

Profile of AdamChance
You could do a torn and restored card with their selected card. there are many good versions that use either a signed or unsigned card.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Tarbell
orchid666
View Profile
Special user
u.k
626 Posts

Profile of orchid666
Is anyone reading this post properly? A closing routine is needed for a 'dark and mysterious set based around the performer using suggestion to influence the choices of the spectator'.
What sort of presentation of a torn and restored card,or a deck vanish are you thinking would fit this style of performance?
K
Jonathan Gold
View Profile
New user
Montreal, Canada
38 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Gold
How about reading their tells? F**ce a card and use their body language, pupil dilation, etc.. to figure out what card they are thinking of. You can transition into that by saying something along the lines of, "it's all well and good to be able to deal yourself a good hand, but unless you know what the other players have it can only get you so far."
Mike Ince
View Profile
Inner circle
2041 Posts

Profile of Mike Ince
I agree with orchid666. We should consider what's being demonstrated here: suggestion and influence. Just to take the road less traveled, I suggest only performing one very strong effect. If you feel an encore is in order, there are many effects that fit the bill. You're smart in looking for a stronger closer. If I were to perform a one-two punch with cards for you right now, Paul Vigil's "Sympathy for the Devil" comes to mind. I love the surprise ending and often use the last phase by itself.

About half of my effects demonstrate influence; it's one of two abilities I demonstrate in my mental shows. Sometimes one polished, engaging performance is better than a set of three effects that build in impossibility. Why not challenge yourself to tell them, "I only want to show you one thing. It's the most unexplainable things I've ever witnessed and I think you'll remember it for the rest of your lives." Then meet the challenge. If the journey produces laughs and/or rapt attention and eventually astonishment, you've succeeded.
The secret of deception is in making the truth seem ridiculous.
MuscleMagic
View Profile
Special user
794 Posts

Profile of MuscleMagic
Steve drauns version of out of this world
LuckyLuu
View Profile
New user
Calgary, AB
15 Posts

Profile of LuckyLuu
Wow guys, you have all really given me a lot to work with here and I appreciate everyones input... Looks like it is time for me to go back to the drawing board.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » I need help finding a closer (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL