The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Speed Table Pro... similars out there? (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
ROBERT BLAKE
View Profile
Inner circle
1472 Posts

Profile of ROBERT BLAKE
Dick, you are welcome.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On 2014-01-05 03:34, writeall wrote:
If I make my own, is it still a knock-off?

Not if you sell it.
geoffreydaniels
View Profile
New user
Switzerland
15 Posts

Profile of geoffreydaniels
Hi there, hi Adrian

Thanks for your interest in the Speed Table Pro. We strive to offer the best tables for working pros. The Speed Table Pro (and in its newer version Pro 2.0) is what came out of this. My colleague Tinu is a real perfectionist and was trying to make a table that is both stable and lightweight: A table that you could carry around, fold flat and even sit on, should you need a break. Those who work on the street, like Eric Evans (thanks for the comments, dear friend) know that a table must be robust and should not shatter or bend, nor should the table top soak up water during a short downpour, etc. etc. The table that we offer complies with all that and yes, it has its price. Tinu decided to produce the whole table in Switzerland by Swiss craftsmen and by using only the best material (a tabletop made of the same material that is used to build airplanes, which is light and doesn't warp; pokertable cloth, which doesn't wrinkle; and properly dried ash wood, which is very strong) and he put a lot of time and effort in making every detail as perfect and practical in everyday use as possible. This is really a table that you buy to keep for a lifetime, like a Rolex, to quote Eric (can you say the same about a folding table from Walmart?).

We know that a lot of magicians will be happy with an ordinary table. However, we also know that there are still a lot of magicians around, who appreciate a nice working environment. After all, as a working pro you will spend hours and hours at that table. If we can put a smile on your face each time you use one of our tables, we made something right. There's a slogan, I think it was from a Rolls Royce ad: If you can, own it. If you can't, admire it. We hope that you all can admire it. We do!

(Along the way: We are still trying to cut down shipping costs to the US. So if there are a minimum of 5 magicians here in the café, who are interested in buying one of our tables, send me a note and we will try to find a way to ship those out free of charge (shipping costs per table are otherwise around $250-$350...)
adrianbent
View Profile
Loyal user
210 Posts

Profile of adrianbent
Geoffrey Daniels,
Your table is beautiful, as I mentioned in my original post, I am in love with it. Yes, I admire it. I think the obvious thing we can perhaps all agree on is that your beautiful table, and a Walmart table appeal to 2 completely different markets. I appreciate the niche you are catering to, and sincerely am happy that such beautiful things exist in the world. If the materials involved justify the cost, then I'm all for it. Irrationally, admittedly, on my part I can help but "feel" that this price point is quite a bit above the cost of materials, and a reasonable price for labour. I say irrationally that I only "feel" this way, and that I am a reasonable person and don't have any facts to back this up. It is what it is. If I become the pariah for stating such, know only that there is a chance that others feel as I do. It is not my job to know another's customer base, but I am honestly exposing my vulnerability and giving you an honest look in how this one person -me- feels. Such pure look into the true thoughts of one's prospective customers is (I would think) priceless in business. Yet, if it is unwelcome, I will fall silent and simply wish you good luck!
... of course, where as you are serving the upper-end niche, the science of price-point kicks in. Perhaps this price point for this market is putting you in the black. In which case, again... best of luck!

It is a very beautiful table! Smile
adrianbent
View Profile
Loyal user
210 Posts

Profile of adrianbent
Eric Evans,
It appears that I have offended you... allow me to be quick to apologize. Perhaps such is the limitation of the written word. I meant no caustic intent.
If you feel that I was rude to you, insofar as you believe I wished for you to not to express yourself in the way you see fit, again I apologize. It was not my intent.
I was hurt that you would instead choose such inflammatory words such as whining.

I'll choose to put on my thick skin however, extend the olive branch, and step up... Mea Culpa.
D. Yoder
View Profile
Veteran user
377 Posts

Profile of D. Yoder
I see a lot of wonderful features in the table and some clever engineering. I applaud the makers of the table for employing local people, using quality materials, and charging a price that allows the workers that made the table to live well. Here in the United States we often base our price points on what Walmart sells, but forget about the exploitation of people and the environment that goes into how they arrive at selling a product at that price.

What I like about the table that I made with a clarinet case mounted on a tripod is that all of my supplies are contained within the case or attached to it as I walk to the pitch. There is nothing laying on the ground near me that I have to keep track of while I'm performing other than my trickle hat, and only one thing to keep track of as I'm traveling to and from the pitch.

Unless I'm missing something from what I see in the video, the part of the table that holds the magic supplies is not covered since the top is removed when the table is broken down. It looks like you have to carry a second case to the pitch to contain your magic supplies along with the table. that's not altogether bad, but I like having only one thing to keep track of.
adrianbent
View Profile
Loyal user
210 Posts

Profile of adrianbent
D. Yoder, you're one-case-to-the-pitch philosophy is intriguing to me. Up to this point I would have only thought, "one bag... plus one table" (if doing C&B).
I'm intrigued by the concept of table and case all in one. Hmmm... any pictures?
D. Yoder
View Profile
Veteran user
377 Posts

Profile of D. Yoder
In response to adrianbent - I looked for photos that show the table, but didn't find much. It is my first try at uploading a photo so we'll see what happens.

I'll try to take a camera the next time I'm out and get some closeup picts.
D. Yoder
View Profile
Veteran user
377 Posts

Profile of D. Yoder
In response to Adrian,
I posted pictures of my table made from a clarinet case on my website. Scroll down to the bottom of the page to see the picts.

https://sites.google.com/site/uncleyodie/
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2014-01-04 23:49, adrianbent wrote:
I wouldn't say national financial policy needs enter into the discussion here. Regardless, 690 Swiss Francs? By any stretch of the imagination on exchange rate whether in your favour or not... even if the dollar was 1.5... that'd still be $460. That's still crazy for what it is! (That's why I had no shame in asking about any knock-offs).

By comparison, you can get an aluminum folding table at Walmart for $22.97. Just sayin'....

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Trail-Fo......hod=p13n

That's a very small table, about a foot or so off the gound as it's supposed to be set up next to your chair and not be stood behind.

I can't find the table I use. It's too short to comfortably stand behind as well, but it's better than the one in the link above. I mean at some point to pick up a 16" X 24" frame and a waiters tray. But not today.
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
MagiUlysses
View Profile
Special user
Kansas City
504 Posts

Profile of MagiUlysses
Greetings and Salutations,

If I had to do it all over again, I'd simply call Frank at The Ambitious Card, give him $250 for a nice table top, after I went to the local restaurant supply store and got the tall tray-jack stand. They come in two heights. I have a 30-inch inseam, and the tall version works great for me.

As it is, I've made a half-dozen table tops. I'm actually pretty good at it ... now! But the time I spent getting good at making a table top probably would have been better spent.

Get the tall tray-jack stand, it's worth the $25-or-so.

Just my $.02 (USD) worth. YMMV

Joe Zeman aka
The Mage Ulysses
geoffreydaniels
View Profile
New user
Switzerland
15 Posts

Profile of geoffreydaniels
@ Adrian

I very much appreciate your opinion and comments. So should you feel that my comment was in some way dismissive, that's not the way it was intended.

@ D.Yoder

Your table has character! And yes you are right: the servante underneath the table top can only be used to carry props while the table is open. When carrying the table, you need an extra bag. Ambitious Card has a beautiful servante, kind of bag similar to the ones for foto equipment. They can be attached to our table easily and are an ideal addition.
TheTableTopTrixta
View Profile
Special user
708 Posts

Profile of TheTableTopTrixta
Ive just picked this up.... Hands down my best purchase in Magic. What a table. The Rolex for sure.

If anyone is interested I can do a little video walk round.....
bigfoot
View Profile
Special user
502 Posts

Profile of bigfoot
Quote:
On Jun 4, 2015, TheTableTopTrixta wrote:
Ive just picked this up.... Hands down my best purchase in Magic. What a table. The Rolex for sure.

If anyone is interested I can do a little video walk round.....

I would love to this myself. Thanks in advance.
Eric Evans
View Profile
Special user
Rio Grande
668 Posts

Profile of Eric Evans
Quote:
On Jan 5, 2014, ROBERT BLAKE wrote:
Problem with those tables are that they have a height you can't alter. every cups and balls man who uses a pouch knows that the brim of the pouch should be below the tabletop. some tables are to low and that means that your loading is visible. if they charge that much they should make it to your height.

I couldn't disagree more.

The pouch itself covers the loads, just watch Gazzo or Cellini (on tape) or Bob Sheets or Nick Nicholas (btw, who is this "cups and balls man" that you speak of?). The height of the table has nothing to do with proper loading. Why would you want a table top to hide the top of the pouch?

I suppose if you pull the loads out of your pouch to stick them into the cups using the table as a screen, but then why use a pouch at all? Why not load directly from the table servant?

Maybe I've missed something here, but from my side of things, it may sound good to the inexperienced, but in practical terms, it's useless. I loaded cups for over ten years, surrounded, and didn't care a wit about the table height. Even performed on a pool table a time or two and people still asked me where the loads came from.

So don't buy the table because it's "too expensive" or don't buy it because it's not "adjustable" or claim that I hurt your feelings because I said you were whining. It's still the best in the world. That you can't change for all your rationalizations or revisions.
MagicalEducator
View Profile
Veteran user
369 Posts

Profile of MagicalEducator
Quote:
On Jan 6, 2014, geoffreydaniels wrote:
Hi there, hi Adrian

Thanks for your interest in the Speed Table Pro. We strive to offer the best tables for working pros. The Speed Table Pro (and in its newer version Pro 2.0) is what came out of this. My colleague Tinu is a real perfectionist and was trying to make a table that is both stable and lightweight: A table that you could carry around, fold flat and even sit on, should you need a break. Those who work on the street, like Eric Evans (thanks for the comments, dear friend) know that a table must be robust and should not shatter or bend, nor should the table top soak up water during a short downpour, etc. etc. The table that we offer complies with all that and yes, it has its price. Tinu decided to produce the whole table in Switzerland by Swiss craftsmen and by using only the best material (a tabletop made of the same material that is used to build airplanes, which is light and doesn't warp; pokertable cloth, which doesn't wrinkle; and properly dried ash wood, which is very strong) and he put a lot of time and effort in making every detail as perfect and practical in everyday use as possible. This is really a table that you buy to keep for a lifetime, like a Rolex, to quote Eric (can you say the same about a folding table from Walmart?).

We know that a lot of magicians will be happy with an ordinary table. However, we also know that there are still a lot of magicians around, who appreciate a nice working environment. After all, as a working pro you will spend hours and hours at that table. If we can put a smile on your face each time you use one of our tables, we made something right. There's a slogan, I think it was from a Rolls Royce ad: If you can, own it. If you can't, admire it. We hope that you all can admire it. We do!

(Along the way: We are still trying to cut down shipping costs to the US. So if there are a minimum of 5 magicians here in the café, who are interested in buying one of our tables, send me a note and we will try to find a way to ship those out free of charge (shipping costs per table are otherwise around $250-$350...)

I'd be interested in picking up one of these tables particularly if there's a savings that can be achieved based on the shipping. I appreciate that you use the best quality materials and craftsmen and both of those come at a cost. I'm looking forward to owning what looks like the world's finest street table!

jeff
Voted "Canada's Most Inspirational Magician"
www.MagicalEducator.com

Check out my column "Magic is Education" in Vanish Magazine
Shorty
View Profile
New user
Switzerland
87 Posts

Profile of Shorty
There is allways somebody that makes it cheaper... I am pretty sure if you order a table in China you will get it half a price from Walmart... If I buy the Table from Zürich there I know the man that makes the table... he makes a living building good Quality stuff, he is living in Switzerland, has to pay the rent and buy the Food in Switzerland for swiss prices.

So in my opinion the Price is okay, because its a great table. Once again... you can easily find a cheaper one! But why should I pay a magician... think about that, there is allways somebody that will do a cheaper Show. Or even worst... working the streets and do Shows for free SmileWe have a speech in Switzerland ( Sorry I don't know if I can say that this way) WHAT NOTHING COST IS NOTHING WORTH Smile

I tell you something... I have a suit made from a taylor here in switzerland... for the Price of 4000 Dollars, Its made after my idears and I have it since then years for every Show... its a part of me and now it start to be in bad condition... and it breakes my heart! Not because I can not affort a new one... ist because ist part of me and if I am put that coat on, I am Shorty!

Next to everything I use in my Show is more then 10 years old... and everytime I brought something cheap... after a few months I throw it away and buy Quality stuff Smile

Ist a free world... buy where you like it Smile
Bairefoot
View Profile
Inner circle
1097 Posts

Profile of Bairefoot
I have one that I am not using.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On Jan 6, 2014, Dynamike wrote:
Quote:
On 2014-01-05 03:34, writeall wrote:
If I make my own, is it still a knock-off?

Not if you sell it.

Shouldn't that be "Not UNLESS you sell it?"
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
MagicalEducator
View Profile
Veteran user
369 Posts

Profile of MagicalEducator
Anyone have one of these tables that would like to sell or trade it? Send me a PM.

Thanks!

jeff
Voted "Canada's Most Inspirational Magician"
www.MagicalEducator.com

Check out my column "Magic is Education" in Vanish Magazine
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Speed Table Pro... similars out there? (4 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL