The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The words we use » » T&R Card presentation idea discussion (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Decker
View Profile
Loyal user
Hades
211 Posts

Profile of Decker
I had an idea for Torn and Restored Card. I don't do a T&R but really like the idea and have played with versions of it.

Here is my idea. There are many gaps but maybe we can finish this idea together.

Admit One

You might suggest that you used to give out tickets for a very special show you did. And one day while people where coming into your show, one girl accidentally gave the ticket taker the wrong ticket. In fact, a backstage pass signed by Johnny Rock'n'roll.

Before she realized it, because the pass resembled the ticket enough, the ticket taker tore it into four pieces. The girl began to cry because that pass meant a lot to her, it was a memento from her favorite concert ever. Backstage you hear about it and come out to see if something can be done. Some people suggest free admission but you have something else in mind.

You put the pass together piece by piece to her amazement. Then you waved your hand over the card in a mysterious fashion, and flip the card over to reveal that magically, a free pass to your show has been printed. And you gave it back to the girl.

Here is my thinking:
It has sentimental hooks. It's a damsel in distress plot, and it is a short leap to make really. The playing card is a worthless object, but a backstage pass signed by Kurt Cobain (now dead) is a very valuable thing, especially to a fan.

So you have their attention, you have their interest. Then you move into the visual part of the trick which is stunning. At the end you give a reason for flipping the card over (which is sometimes the clean-up phase) which also is a definite climax as you hand out the card.

Thoughts? Suggestions for improvement? Lets see if the Café can make this a well-rounded presentation. (Or maybe scrap it altogether.)
"He had alot to say... He had alot of nothing to say..." --MJK
Jonathan P.
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium
1484 Posts

Profile of Jonathan P.
It's not mine, but I think Darwin Ortiz came up with a presentation idea that was sufficiently relevant for him to give a reason for the effect. If no good reason is given, why tear a card just to restore it? (As you suggested in your post.)

I don't have the exact reference, but it must be in Cardshark or D. Ortiz at the Card Table. Maybe someone can help on this.

J.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The words we use » » T&R Card presentation idea discussion (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL