The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Society of American Magicians! » » Question about the S.A.M. media library (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Brad Jeffers
View Profile
Veteran user
376 Posts

Profile of Brad Jeffers
On the S.A.M. website it says "The S.A.M. has a vast library that features magicians through the years performing, lecturing, and having fun. The video and audio clips are available to S.A.M. members and we've made it easier for you to view them, as the entire library is being added to a special area in the Members Home section of our website."

Has this process been completed?

I ask, because in the June 1954 issue of M.U.M., there is a reference to "...talking motion pictures presented under the auspices of Compeers Sandy Spillman and Lloyd Jones. We were privileged to witness in action and sound the clever manipulative cardsharp work of one Michael Macdougall, and once more, too, the remarkable blindfolded Kuda Bux in action, and some unbelievable trick lassoing by the famous Will Rodgers Sr."

What I am interested in is the film of Michael MacDougall. It is again referenced in the Dec 1956 issue. In both instances the film was shown in connection with a meeting of S.A.M. members. I very much want to see this film. Does anyone here know if this is available through the S.A.M.?
Dal
View Profile
Regular user
Dallas, TX
124 Posts

Profile of Dal
Uploading the vast S.A.M. is a daunting job. It is being hosted on Vimeo and they only allow 5 gigs to be uploaded a week. You can see what videos re already online by using your member number and logging on to the member’s area at http://www.magicsam.com. I will ask Mark Jensen (the Chairman of this committee) to respond here too.
Dal Sanders International Comedy Magician and Illusionist Based In Dallas, TX

The Society of American Magicians Past National President
M.I.M.C.*
Dal
View Profile
Regular user
Dallas, TX
124 Posts

Profile of Dal
I just spoke to Mark Jensen and this is his reply...

The film mentioned in not in the current files intended for upload. I looked in an older listing of films in the SAM library from several years ago and it is not listed there either. That doesn’t mean it may not be in the archive of original films stored with our other SAM historical treasures. However, it will be some time before these films are transferred to digital media.

Mark Jensen
SAM Media Chairman
Dal Sanders International Comedy Magician and Illusionist Based In Dallas, TX

The Society of American Magicians Past National President
M.I.M.C.*
Brad Jeffers
View Profile
Veteran user
376 Posts

Profile of Brad Jeffers
Dal,

Thanks for taking the time to look into this. I just recently learned of the existence of this film. I believe there is a good change that it is still around somewhere.

The Dec 1956 issue of M.U.M. says "The motion pictures which followed the meeting were contributed by Sandy and past president Lloyd Jones..."

I feel that if the MacDougall film was in the possession of Lloyd Jones, then there is a good change that it made it's way into the collection of the S.A.M.

If it was in the possession of Sandy Spillman, then there is a good chance that it ended up in the Magic Castle library.

That is were I will check next.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Society of American Magicians! » » Question about the S.A.M. media library (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL