The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ebooks, PDF's or Downloads » » Alexander de Cova's "Scrapbook" Magazine (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MField2000
View Profile
Special user
Hastings, East Sussex, England
590 Posts

Profile of MField2000
Alexander de Cova is a very creative magician from Germany whose L&L DVD set, Enigmatic, has been justifiably highly praised. I got to know him during my time helping Patrick Page with his book; Alex had hired Pat as a consultant and was visiting his flat.

Alex has decided to publish a pdf magazine with a new one coming out about twice a month. It’s called “Scrapbook” and it’s 8 pages long (easy to print out) and you purchase each issue as it’s published (no subscription hassles).

The first issue features a finesse and several ideas with Al Koran’s 5-Star forcing deck. There’s a very clever idea allowing you to speed-load a ring into a “sealed” envelope in a wallet, then use the gimmick as a gag in the trick. Clipped Out is a finesse with the gimmicked switching bulldog clip. Then Alex muses about the relationship between music, specifically the Irish squeezebox, and magic. And his column Enthymemata has seven brief thoughts about everything from stacked decks to the most successful close-up theatre in Germany.

All this is a mere $7 (£5) per issue, and I think it’s more than worth it. I like Alexander’s thinking and the short pieces provided me with a welcome break from my heavy-duty delving into “Non Plus Ultra.”

Alexander’s nom de plume for all this is Alaisdair McCova, and he sort of explains why in the magazine’s pages. The level of expertise assumed is intermediate (there are no explanations of simple sleights, and it is assumed, for example, that you understand what the Koran forcing deck is). I suggest you check it out at http:// http://www.solidmagic.org.

Matt Field
Alexander de Cova
View Profile
New user
Villingen-Schwenningen, GERMANY
9 Posts

Profile of Alexander de Cova
Just as I released issue 3 of the SCRAPBOOK, Anthony "Tony" Miller sent me an email stating he had been selling the Extractor substitue under the name of "The Real Steal" for more than 3 years. He also asked me if I could substitue the article in SCRAPBOOK for something else. Here is the problem, because it is already published as a PDF and quite a few magicians now have their copy of issue 3. Reworking and re-publishing would mean confusion und unnecessary trouble for the readers.

In order to keep things simple, I wrote this little article to make things clear and avoid unnecessary speculation and discussions. Tony and I have communicated about all this and agreed to leave the article as it is in SCRAPBOOK. Nevertheless, I want to clarify a few things with these statements and make it a point to direct your attention to Tony's excellent version of the Extractor substitue.

In these times, information is exploding in an exorbitant manner and it is impossible to know each and everything. I simply didn't know when I published my ABSTRACTOR solution that Tony had already published his "The real Thing" and sold it on his website. So I couldn't make any comparisons. After some email conversation he kindly sent me a link to a Youtube clip, where he explains his method and the construction of his gimmick in detail. When I saw this clip, I noticed there ARE significant differences between our two gimmicks. And I was relieved.

When we talk about a kind of "Extractor effect", the challenge will always be the same: the card has to be somehow extracted from the card case (and the deck). I suppose there aren't too many physical ways to do this, so all the different solutions to this problem WILL be similiar in one form or another. As a matter of fact, I do know about even more esoteric (unpublished) attempts. Knowning this, I never claimed to have invented a new technology or a new effect, but just published just my own take (or my solution) to achieve the extraction effect.

The other important thing is that I have absolutely no intention to market this. ABSTRACTOR will stay just published as an idea and that's it. Above all, Alakazam Magic already has the Extractor out, Tony his "The Real Steal" and that should be enough. No need for another one to flood the market...

What are the differences between Abstractor and "The real Thing"?

To be honest, I find Tony's solution very direct, practical and much simpler constructed than my version. If I were a performer, working rough and tough places with not so nice circumstances, I would pick Tony's solution. The thinking behind his creation reminds me of the old rising card trick deck, which in fact was the inspiration and starting point for my current solution. "The Real Steal" is VERY practical and much more robust than my version. Granted.

The differences to my version? Basically, with BOTH models you achieve the same result: the card ends up in your possession without the spectators suspecting it. With the Abstractor you can show the deck around from all sides and the case looks unprepared. Also, with a modification, you can put rubber bands around the case to make things even more impossible. Of course, if you think real world performing, all this isn't really necessary. It might be interesting to confuse magicians.

"The Real Steal" is down to the earth, no moving parts, nothing can break and there is nothing to worry about when performing. A real practical worker.

Conclusion

If you are a PERFORMER, the thing to go is Tony's "The Real Steal". It's simpler and much more stalwart than mine. If you are in for fun, don't mind the trouble building up the ABSTRACTOR and enjoy fooling (or confusing) the people that have and use "The real Thing", then ABSTRACTOR might be worth a shot.

Another point is you don't have to make to make it up yourself. Tony makes these for years already AND he makes them with your favourite brand of cards. Just send him the deck you want to be modified and he will gladly manufacture it for you.

You can order on his website http://www.rfaproductions.com and go for "The Real Steal" by Tony Miller. It's only $30.00 postpaid, foreign customers add $5.00 for shipping.

P.S.: I ordered one from him for my personal use... Smile

And a big Thank you to Tony Miller for his understanding and the co-operation!
Sean Macfarlane
View Profile
Special user
880 Posts

Profile of Sean Macfarlane
Loving the magazine Alexander! I just made the zippo lighter effect! It's great! Thanks again!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ebooks, PDF's or Downloads » » Alexander de Cova's "Scrapbook" Magazine (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL