The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Elastic Advice (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

TheRaven
View Profile
Special user
597 Posts

Profile of TheRaven
I'm looking for some advice from those that have experience with the best small diameter strong elastic.

Application: I want to string together about 32 one-half inch long nylon spacers (total length 16 in). The spacers will have an ID of 11/64 inch and an OD of 1/2 inch. I want to string them together with a piece of elastic cord running thru the middle. The elastic should have an OD no greater than 1/8 inch or so. I want the elastic to be strong enough to keep the spacers under tension (kind of like a self supporting break-away-wand except it won't break away). They do not have to support the spacers in a horizontal position like with the wand but -- assuming horizontal = zero degrees and vertical = 90 degrees, it should be able to support the spacers in a vertical position +/- 10 or 15 degrees -- so say 75 deg to 105 deg.

I'm thinking white sewing elastic will not be strong enough. I'm contemplating small diameter surgical tubing, or small diameter shock cord. I'm very interested in clever sources for the elastic also -- i.e. something you can find in the store or as part of something else you can easily buy.

Mostly though - I'm interested in anyone that has actual experience with a product. It is almost impossible to gauge elastic strength of something over the Internet.

Karl Rabe
The Raven
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Small diameter bungee cord may work, but how do you intend to space the spacers. Elastic does not like to be pinched or crimped on any part to be stretched.

If you are in the U.S. just go to any Lowe's Home Improvement store, they have it there.

I don't believe the normal elastic that is sold at fabric stores how that much power, and the only strong 1/8 inch elastic that might work is sold by Abbott's Magic company. It is very strong black cloth covered elastic. A few dollars a yard, you would have to email or call them for price. It is used for one of their standard props.

Much depends on the weight the elastic has to pull.
TheRaven
View Profile
Special user
597 Posts

Profile of TheRaven
Thanks Bill. I'll check Lowes. Didn't realized they carried really small diameter bungee cord.

I am not spacing the spacers. If you picture a break-away-wand, I am assembling a similar rod out of nylon spacers instead of the black wand rod pieces and I am holding the pieces together with elastic instead of cord. The spacers aren't spacing anything they are just being used as rod-segments held together with elastic.

I want to be able to "roll up" the 16 in rod around my hand (or similar diameter) and produce it as an apparently solid piece when it springs into shape.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Then the elastic from a fabric store may work just fine for that purpose. Check JoAnn Fabrics and such. If it doesn't the only other solution would be a piece from Abbott's as that is really strong elastic.
remote guy
View Profile
Special user
Maryland
534 Posts

Profile of remote guy
Here is a source for surgical tubing: http://www.mcmaster.com/#surgical-tubing/=qc8j7w

Nick
thomhaha
View Profile
Regular user
northfield IL
162 Posts

Profile of thomhaha
Would a wide rubber band work? How about a chain of rubber bands?

I like the small bungee idea - but rubber bands are cheaper. How much tension you need is also a consideration.
TheRaven
View Profile
Special user
597 Posts

Profile of TheRaven
My concern with rubber bands is longevity and strength. Rubber bands seem to get old and disintegrate fairly quickly.
Dan Ford
View Profile
Special user
Illinois
754 Posts

Profile of Dan Ford
Go to a Jo Anns fabric store or other type fabric store and look on the side of the elastic label for the most rubber content. You will want the most percentage of rubber content. Elastics do vary in percentages of the rubber in them.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Elastic Advice (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL