The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » 6-Card-Repeat Advice? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Zephury
View Profile
Elite user
Hollywood, FL
488 Posts

Profile of Zephury
I enjoy making my own gimmicks and making them with extreme precision. I'd like to be able to bring self-made gimmicks to my local SAM assembly and have people asking me to make them for them as they're so convincing or well-made.

I will avoid revealing the exact mechanics of the trick as WELL AS POSSIBLE. It isn't an extremely well-guarded secret, otherwise I wouldn't even be posting this. There's tutorial on YouTube absolutely everywhere.

The most popular method of attachment is scotch tape. I find that it doesn't last though. Mine in fact 9 times out of 10 falls apart before I even get to perform it. What's the best way you guys have found to do the attaching part? I've also considered gluing it together and just shaving the sides of the cards to fit. Sorry, I don't know how else to explain that, I thought about it. Some input would definitely be appreciated with the gimmick-making.
Bulla
View Profile
Special user
Honolulu, HI
674 Posts

Profile of Bulla
Personally I prefer to not use a gimmick for this routine. There really isn't any need for it. And as a side note, learning from tutorials on youtube is severely looked down upon here at the Café.
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Quote:
On 2014-02-03 00:44, Zephury wrote:
I enjoy making my own gimmicks and making them with extreme precision. I'd like to be able to bring self-made gimmicks to my local SAM assembly and have people asking me to make them for them as they're so convincing or well-made.

I will avoid revealing the exact mechanics of the trick as WELL AS POSSIBLE. It isn't an extremely well-guarded secret, otherwise I wouldn't even be posting this. There's tutorial on YouTube absolutely everywhere.

The most popular method of attachment is scotch tape. I find that it doesn't last though. Mine in fact 9 times out of 10 falls apart before I even get to perform it. What's the best way you guys have found to do the attaching part? I've also considered gluing it together and just shaving the sides of the cards to fit. Sorry, I don't know how else to explain that, I thought about it. Some input would definitely be appreciated with the gimmick-making.

Question, if they fail 9 out of 10 times before you can use them, how are you making them to extreme percision? Or am I reading this wrong? Without knowing the gimmick or how it works/what it does, I really cant help with ideas. PM me with details and maybe I can point you in the right direction
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
professorwhut
View Profile
Inner circle
Posts R US sold me
1353 Posts

Profile of professorwhut
I also prefer the non gimmick, classic way of going about this.
The only gimmicked version(s) of this are marketed effects, that I know of.

Look up Steve Dacri and Michael Finny, they both teach a great Six Card Repeat, no gimmick.
After much soul searching about a signature, I decided not to have one.

TG Pop [aka ProfessorWhut]
Zephury
View Profile
Elite user
Hollywood, FL
488 Posts

Profile of Zephury
Frown upon me looking at YouTube tutorials all you want. I do take everything on YouTube with a grain of salt, but I've learned a lot from YouTube that I would have otherwise been unable to learn because I cannot afford all of the books to learn it. I have to make that compromise.

After messing around with the tape more, I did find a way where it doesn't break as easily. It was just because I was using smaller pieces of tape. Using long strips tends to stick better for longer and not peel off as easily. I really just wanted to see what others did as far as how they taped it or what other methods there were.

Thanks for the replies, I'll check out the non-gimmicked.
Zephury
View Profile
Elite user
Hollywood, FL
488 Posts

Profile of Zephury
Quote:
On 2014-02-04 00:48, Poof-Daddy wrote:
Quote:
On 2014-02-03 00:44, Zephury wrote:

Question, if they fail 9 out of 10 times before you can use them, how are you making them to extreme percision? Or am I reading this wrong? Without knowing the gimmick or how it works/what it does, I really cant help with ideas. PM me with details and maybe I can point you in the right direction

You're either reading wrong, or I didn't explain well enough--

What I mean, is that I'd like to start making things the best way possible. I'm looking for the best methods out there for everything that I make in order to produce higher quality self-made gimmicks. I was just curious as to what other people's methods were and it turns out that the non-gaffed version seems to be more popular.
Bulla
View Profile
Special user
Honolulu, HI
674 Posts

Profile of Bulla
With the creation of ebooks, magic is becoming more available and affordable. I know that you have money for books and effects because you posted a while ago on what you should buy next. LLepub has some great ebooks available for less than 10 bucks. Also check out lybrary.com. The tutorials on youtube are disrepectful to the art and the creators of these effects. Just so you don't think I'm a total jerk, here is an ebook that is currently being offered for free:
http://shop.conjuringarts.org/store/pc/F......1018.htm

P.S. As you can see from this topic, you've just demonstrated one of the downfalls of learning from youtube. They teach you incorrect and bad methods of achieving an effect. There's no history or proper credits and you lose out on building a strong foundation for youself in magic. You're skipping steps that need to be taken and it will hurt you more than help you.
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
Jason Simonds
View Profile
Veteran user
Pensacola, FL
318 Posts

Profile of Jason Simonds
I'm not familiar with this gimmick, but if you are interested in making gaffed cards, I highly recommend The Art of Card Splitting by Marty Grams. If you are interested in using Scotch Tape with cards, check out DST by Luke Dancy and David Regal, for some really good tips and ideas.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » 6-Card-Repeat Advice? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL