The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Your Thoughts On The Paddle Trick (Lets Start Again) As A Closer (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

truesoldier
View Profile
Inner circle
1191 Posts

Profile of truesoldier
Hi Guys

As always I really appreciate your views, opinions, suggestions and ideas, so would really like to hear your thoughts on the Lets Start Again Paddle Trick in the context of a closer. I am in the process of creating a 4th walk around set (something for repeat clients) and was wondering if you think that this effect is strong enough to be a closer. I was thinking it would make a good middle, however I am thinking of doing Richard Sanders Turbo Stick with the kicker ending and this makes me wonder if it would make a good closer because of the production at the end. (Audiences, usually love productions)

What are you're thoughts on this, and if you do a similar paddle trick where do you put it within a routine?

Many Thanks As Always
Blindside785
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, WA
4541 Posts

Profile of Blindside785
It's a pure opener.

This does not have the impact of a closer, there is no huge finale. A production is one thing, but the production only makes sense if you segway into something else. Otherwise, naturally it really doesn't flow. The size of a production matters. For example, the tiny turbostick production (opener) vs. the cup and ball productions (Middle/Closer), you can see the difference in size and impact here. In your head, can you think of why chop cup is usually an opener not a closer? The reasons listed above hint you towards the answer.

As a middle, you could but it doesn't fit my description of a middle. A middle is great for actually getting the audience involved. The opener is a look-at-me, visual, "wower. In this case, turbostick. Overall, your magic should be filled with a bunch of "watch me" material. Not saying that yours is, but if your opener is what it usually is or should be then turbostick would not be involved. Also, I am not saying that you don't get your audience involved in turbostick, I certainly do, but not in the way that justifies it as a middle.

I use turbostick as an opener in my strolling set, it will stay an opener, I'm just firm with that.

In the context of a set...

Turbostick (Visuals, first impression effect)
2 Card Monte (Get them involved, holding the cards)
ACR/PET envelope (Leave them with a souvenir/impossible effect/big finish)
truesoldier
View Profile
Inner circle
1191 Posts

Profile of truesoldier
Thanks Blindside, much appreciated.

Quick question, when doing Turnstick as an opener do you draw the X's before walking up to the group (Prep) or do you draw them in front of them. Just thinking about dead time etc.

Cheers.
Blindside785
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, WA
4541 Posts

Profile of Blindside785
Quote:
On 2014-02-03 15:55, truesoldier wrote:
Thanks Blindside, much appreciated.

Quick question, when doing Turnstick as an opener do you draw the X's before walking up to the group (Prep) or do you draw them in front of them. Just thinking about dead time etc.

Cheers.

No problem, I draw it in front of them as I talk to them. It's only dead time if you make it dead time.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I always ope with the paddle.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
twistedace
View Profile
Inner circle
philadelphia
3772 Posts

Profile of twistedace
Look into Paul Green's paddle trick. I used it all of the time until I couldn't find the paddles anymore. The paddles were given away as a promotional item. It would look great with newer, dry erase paddles.
truesoldier
View Profile
Inner circle
1191 Posts

Profile of truesoldier
Thanks for your replies guys. I'll sure try and find the Paul Green routine you suggest.
Trekdad
View Profile
Elite user
Telford, PA
445 Posts

Profile of Trekdad
I agree with twistedace. I use Paul Green's paddles, and his routine in walk-around, and present the paddle as a gift -- a magic wand. Later, when I need some involvement by the spectators, I ask them to help out with their "magic wand". The paddle trick is a fooler, and "gifting" magic creates an instant rapport and connection with the audiences, especially at a restaurant table where time and space are precious.
Barnhardt: You have tested this theory?
Klaatu: I find it works well enough to get me from one planet to the next.
The Day the Earth Stood Still
mtmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
221 Posts

Profile of mtmagic
I've been using turbo stick as my opener for kids and adults since it came out and it kills! It's a great opener for strolling or table side magic. I tell them that I would like to give them a little test, that way I'll know if I should take the next trick up a level or down, always get a laugh. Adults enjoy the routine and are as amazed the kids if not more.
Kanawati
View Profile
Veteran user
Australia
301 Posts

Profile of Kanawati
I don't have table hopping experience so I don't know if this would make a good closer but I find the Baffle Bat gets good responses. And you can give it a nice build to a logical big finish...essentially starting with 0 dots and ending with 8 and no more room on the paddles:)
truesoldier
View Profile
Inner circle
1191 Posts

Profile of truesoldier
Thanks for your ideas and suggestions guys, they are all really helpful. Now the problem is so many good options to choose from, best thing is for me to look into them all and find the one one that works best for me and then add some of my own style into the routine. Thanks again to everyone for all the suggestions.
MR Effecto
View Profile
Inner circle
2835 Posts

Profile of MR Effecto
Use Turbo stick with the sponge balls. Great way to bring in the sponge balls.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Your Thoughts On The Paddle Trick (Lets Start Again) As A Closer (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL