The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » My first gig (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
MRSharpe
View Profile
Special user
Never a dull moment with
940 Posts

Profile of MRSharpe
It looks like the gig was either yesterday or today. It's hard to tell. Michael Ammar, in his book from about 20 years ago, had a lot on how to plan routines, performances, and how to improve them. One thing he recommended was to do a kind of "post mortem" after a show is over. Take you effect list (as musicians here call it your 'set list") and go over it making notes about what worked, what didn't, where things could use improvement, etc. In particular, make note of where jokes or other bits worked well, where they didn't and what happened spontaneously so that those things which worked or came up during the show can be incorporated in the future. Ammar has a form in his book which can be used for this purpose as well as other forms that help. Also, the next time you do a performance, keep your set list the same only make improvements where needed. In other words, don't do a different show each time you perform so that your act develops a flow. Even at your magic guild you talke about, do the same set each time until they tell you they can't think of anything to add or take away. Other than that, good luck. And, don't let the English speakers here get you down. I bet your Greek is a lot better than theirs!
Custom Props Designer and Fabricator as well as Performer from Indiana, USA
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Xaire (again)!

English (especially "American" English)is definitely not easy when you're not born and raised here! (There are so many exceptions to the rules!) (There's an old, corny joke: If we had not won the Second World War, we would have had to put 'umlauts' on our typewriters.

Knowing now, that you weren't "born here", I can understand some of your "expressions". (I thank David Fillary,who is a resident of the UK and a college student, for realizing the situation, and making me aware of it.)To be perfectly fair, you speak better English than I speak Greek!!!!! BTW: Where in the world, did you find 'determinated'???!!! (lol)

I'm not familiar with Ortiz's book, but I have heard good things. I'll ask some of my friends,to express their opinions.

You must have stayed up three days and nights to do what you did with the material you listed. However, you'll need to actually perform it many times(!) as you've
scripted it, to really consider it as a 'finished routine'. I do think, though, that you appear to be very determined, so the odds are in your favor! I wish you well!

Are you sure about Ken Weber's book? If you change your mind, just PM me.

Best wishes!

Dick
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
neocatalyst
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of neocatalyst
Did you record the show?
David Fillary
View Profile
Special user
662 Posts

Profile of David Fillary
EoKlausRO, I dance salsa in England with a lot of Greek and Cypriot people, so I picked up on your mannerisms from that. Don't think your English is bad because of that, especially given that most people here didn't notice you weren't English!

It sounds like you put a lot of work into this and I hope it went really well. We really do get a lot of people on this forum who rush into stuff prematurely. I hope you haven't been deterred by anyone here. The old-timers in these forums are really supportive once you earn their respect and you've shown it (and you now have).

Dick Oslund is serious with his offer by the way. He sent me some books half way around the world and I didn't believe he would at first!
EoKlausRO
View Profile
New user
21 Posts

Profile of EoKlausRO
@ neocatalyst, hi,

and no, I didn't record it, because I was late.

@ David Fillary, hi, David, I really hope that I will learn more and I will earn their respect, because I really like this art and I really want to become a qualified performer.
Be The Best YOU Can BE!
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
I think that you are "on the way" to becoming a qualified performer! I look forward to hearing of your progress.

Now, that you have started to prepare a set routine, DO IT! (at your academy)every week!

Keep in mind that LEARNING is an ACTIVE process! Keep a note book! Listen to your audiences! Record the comments from those at the academy. Record responses and reactions from your audiences.

A "very" old 'Greek philosopher (ARCHIMEDES) said (a few millenia ago) "ONE LEARNS BY DOING THE THING!".

Best wishes,

Dick
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
4388 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
I would suggest that the next gig you do, think about mixing things up. cards, coins, rope, mentalism, etc. Also, spend more time thinking about how people might be entertained, not just what "tricks" you are going to do. Try to do less tricks and get your audience involved more.
KJ
EoKlausRO
View Profile
New user
21 Posts

Profile of EoKlausRO
@Dick Oslund, thank you for all you answers to my post and for your advice. I started to read Desiging Miracles, and after that I will choose those magic tricks that works with the spectators and invole them more, and I will try the routine at the Academy, Thank you again!

@1KJ, thank you for your answer, and for your advice. I will look more into mentalism and rope magic, and into tricks that invole people more. Thank you again!
Be The Best YOU Can BE!
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
You have already grasped a very important concept! --INVOLVEMENT! --INTERACTION WITH YOUR SPECTATOR(S)!

Always talk "WITH" your audience, Do not talk "TO" them. A good magician(a "qualified performer")understands that he should not be MAKING A SPEECH, but, be HAVING A CONVERSATION!

Yes. IKJ suggests "cards, coins, rope, mentalism etc." I, too would recommend that you should broaden your interests. BUT, since your main interest, right now, is cards, and you are really "just beginning", FESTINA LENTE!!! (Latin = MAKE HASTE SLOWLY!)

Work on the card routine that you have planned. PERFORM it for friends, the Academy, etc. Once you feel comfortable with it, begin exploring other "things". The Chinese have an expression: "The journey of thousand miles, begins with one step!" You are just starting the journey of a lifetime!

The over eager youth prayed: "O Lord, help me to be patient! --and please HURRY!"

"DESIGNING MIRACLES" should be very helpful!

As you begin to "broaden your interests" I suggest that books should be your first investment! "EDUCATION IS NOT FILLING A BUCKET! EDUCATION IS LIGHTING A FIRE"

TARBELL, of course, for the 'wide angle" view of basic magic principles! For rope knowledge and skills, The Encyclopedia of Rope Tricks (published by Abbott's Magic--COLON,MICHIGAN, USA) is perhaps the oldest, but has a very good variety of basis information. There have been tapes and DVDs since, that would augment it. For coins, start with the "New Modern Coin Magic" (BOBO) Again, the newer books and DVDs will augment. I'm not to "up" on mentalism material, so I won't "go there". I'm sure that you'll find someone to recommend something.

BTW...What "brand" of playing cards do you use "over there"?

Best wishes!

Dick
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
It's great to hear about someone with passion about the art of magic.

As someone who uses props a lot with coins, I am glad to see coins through table.

You might consider adapting the moves to a coins across.
Especially coins to a spectators hand, can be strong.

Signed card to impossible place...is one to be considered....

your pocket, their pocket...or even other spectators pocket or wallet.

Listen to your audiences. They will teach you a lot.

One thing I have learned the hard way...Be early for gigs.

javascript:InstaSmilie()

Harris

javascript:InstaSmilie()
still too old to know everything
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
EoKlausRO
View Profile
New user
21 Posts

Profile of EoKlausRO
@Dick Oslund, in those pages that I wrote, I was talking with the audience. From the first word to the last. And yes, I know a few routines with coins and ropes, but my main occupation for the first two years or one and a half I want to be card magic.

We have Bicycle, and Bee, and Tally Ho.

@harris, I do the routine with four coins and a glass, from Modern Coin Magic, and Eagles (If I remember the name right), where three coins from a hand one by one are found the the other hand. The only routine that I do and invole another one, is a coin transposition from Stars of Magic, where a silver coin from their hand changes in another one (that I hold), from Scarne.

signed card to impossible location... I have only in my pocket, and, if I can post the my facebook link where I perform it, I will post it, but it is in greek.

Thank you both for your advices.
Be The Best YOU Can BE!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » My first gig (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL