The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Removing old tape residue from plexiglass (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4247 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
I've got a couple of small sheets of what appears to be plexiglass that have old tape residue on them that is just a BEAR to get off. I remember trying some alcohol one time on something plastic, and then thinking, "Oh, yeah...I forgot about that.." Duh.

Looking for something that will aid in removing it, without fogging or otherwise damaging the plastic. I have Goo Gone, but don't have anything similar to test it on.

Would you consider Goo Gone to be safe?
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4247 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
It works just fine Smile
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
Chessman, I'm glad Goo Gone worked for you. Lighter fluid is usually my first choice for something like that, but I have used Goo Gone too.
Mister Mystery
sammagic
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of sammagic
Petrol or gas as you call it in the states will get the residue of vehicle decals off, used it on my van and worked a treat.
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4247 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Are you both talking about getting residue off of plastic? Or metal?

I would have thought the fluids you each mentioned would affect the plastic - even if only visually (clouding, or whatever).
Ray Tupper.
View Profile
Special user
NG16.
749 Posts

Profile of Ray Tupper.
Cellulose thinners.
It doesn't touch Perspex (thermo setting plastic), which is what we call plexiglass.
Ray.
What do we want?
A cure for tourettes!
When do we want it?
C*nt!
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Goo gone smells like lighter fluid. I have my suspicions that that's all it is.
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
Levi Bennett
View Profile
Inner circle
1778 Posts

Profile of Levi Bennett
At my job we were having trouble with someone repeatedly putting marker on some pictures with plexiglass/lexan panes.

I remembered acetone might work for that and bought some nail polish remover with acetone. Took it off in seconds without harming the plexi and only cost .99 cents. Might work for sticky stuff too.

My wife had issues with removing sticky stuff from something and used a little bit of oil. Canola I believe. Worked great.
Performing magic unprofessionally since 2008!
Peter McMillan
View Profile
Elite user
St. George, Utah
497 Posts

Profile of Peter McMillan
The rind of a fresh lemon when squeezed emits citric acid that works to get sticky stuff off of just about anything. After squeezing the rind it can be used to scrub the adhesive off the surface. No damage to material.
Spiritus Dictum Artifacts ~ Tools of the Craft for Serious Workers http://petemcmillan.wixsite.com/sd-artifacts/artifacts
~
www.SantaPeteUtah.com
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On 2014-02-14 19:36, Peter McMillan wrote:
The rind of a fresh lemon when squeezed emits citric acid that works to get sticky stuff off of just about anything. After squeezing the rind it can be used to scrub the adhesive off the surface. No damage to material.

Magic with a twist? Smile
~michael baker
The Magic Company
damien666
View Profile
Special user
canada
513 Posts

Profile of damien666
Whatever you do - don't use 99% isopropyl alcohol!! It will crack the plastic.
Peter McMillan
View Profile
Elite user
St. George, Utah
497 Posts

Profile of Peter McMillan
Quote:
On 2014-02-14 20:26, Michael Baker wrote:
Quote:
On 2014-02-14 19:36, Peter McMillan wrote:

Magic with a twist? Smile

Shaken but not stirred.
Spiritus Dictum Artifacts ~ Tools of the Craft for Serious Workers http://petemcmillan.wixsite.com/sd-artifacts/artifacts
~
www.SantaPeteUtah.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Removing old tape residue from plexiglass (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL