The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Plexiglass glue? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Dan Ford
View Profile
Special user
Illinois
754 Posts

Profile of Dan Ford
What is the best glue to use in fastening cloth to plexiglass. Any help will be appreciated.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
That is a tough one, as the glue can be seen from the other side if clear plexi. Does this matter?

I would try 777 spray adhesive or the sticky film sold in fabric stores. Peel and apply, then peal and apply the cloth. There are also several craft spray glues by 3M and Elmer's that should work.

Depending on the size, it will take 2 people to apply it without wrinkles.

I am thinking of covering a sheet of plexi if you are thinking of a box or other shape, it will be more difficult. It is not that glue will not stick to Plexi, most people want to glue Plexi together and still be clear, that is the reason for the assembly glue issues.
Dan Ford
View Profile
Special user
Illinois
754 Posts

Profile of Dan Ford
Thanks Bill for your input. The plexiglas will be opaque. I was thinking of maybe E6000 glue, but have not used that glue, only by what I have read about it. I will not be covering it to a box just fastening the cloth in places.
billappleton
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Gatos, California
1154 Posts

Profile of billappleton
Devcon makes a 2 ton crystal clear epoxy designed for (among other things) plexiglass. You can find it at Ace Hardware. This glue has to be mixed in two parts and dries overnight. After application you can wipe the glue clean from the surface and the surface is beautiful. You can polish errant fingerprints away the next day as needed. Clamping is fine but not necessary. The 2 ton strength is incredible. The glue dries crystal clear and matches the acrylic index of refraction. It seeps into the micro cracks in the cut and completely seals the joint. The seal is totally waterproof, and the joints are beautiful.
Dan Ford
View Profile
Special user
Illinois
754 Posts

Profile of Dan Ford
Thanks Bill, I think that might be my answer. Thanks for your input in my project.
MRSharpe
View Profile
Special user
Never a dull moment with
940 Posts

Profile of MRSharpe
You could also try double stick carpet tape. It would not be permanent, but if the cloth needed replacing then carpet tape would have advantages over a permanent liquid adhesive.
Custom Props Designer and Fabricator as well as Performer from Indiana, USA
Anverdi-museum
View Profile
Inner circle
1196 Posts

Profile of Anverdi-museum
There is a special adhesive specifically for plexiglass. It is administered through a syringe, almost dries instantly. You can purchase this at a plastics supply company, use this in a well ventilated area.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Plexiglass glue? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL