The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Depository » » When the cards fall.... (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Charliehuang
View Profile
New user
Taipei, Taiwan
75 Posts

Profile of Charliehuang
Hey guys, what do you do when your cards fall to the ground and get dusty? I normally brush the dust off but I don't think it is clean enough. I heard that the dust will fill in the little space in the card fabric. Is that's true?
yair61
View Profile
New user
Israel
55 Posts

Profile of yair61
You can buy it, it's called Fanning Powder - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fanning-Powder-S......37240396

But I prefer to change the deck (past simple one's) every 2-3 weeks instead.
Charliehuang
View Profile
New user
Taipei, Taiwan
75 Posts

Profile of Charliehuang
Do you simply throw old/used decks away? Or do you use it in other ways?
Jmolomagic
View Profile
Veteran user
Victorville
332 Posts

Profile of Jmolomagic
I usually keep my old/used decks to use for tricks that requires a duplicate. I just make sure the cards aren't to filthy. Smile
Jonathan Molo
360-989-6602
www.JonathanMolo.com
trampabroad
View Profile
New user
81 Posts

Profile of trampabroad
I actually get really OCD about this. I really hate mixing and matching cards. It always bothers because I can always tell when a foreign card has been introduced to a different deck--differences in springiness, brightness,accidental crimping etc.

If you wanted to you could do a pretty wicked key card-type effect by introducing a worn card to a new deck. 8-9 times out of ten a spec will cut to the new card if it's about halfway down.
Leo H
View Profile
Inner circle
1334 Posts

Profile of Leo H
Use a small clean paintbrush or stencil brush to brush away flecks of dirt or dust on the fallen cards. When your deck gets too old and grotty to continue practicing or performing with, quietly retire it in an empty shoebox in its original case. Eventually you will begin to accumulate these worn out decks and the shoebox will begin to fill. Practice and perform your favorite torn and restored card effect with these decks, perform Max Maven's "Tearable," or practice and perform your favorite version of "Card Warp." Those old, nasty cards will go out in a blaze of glory.

Keep the empty card cases. You never know when you will need an extra card case for a Rainbow Deck or to gaff it for some effect.
Déclic
View Profile
New user
32 Posts

Profile of Déclic
Hello.
Do you think that there is something like medicinal alcohol that can clean the "greasy" cards (not every spectator has clean hands, unfortunately), without spoiling the decks "plastified" outward coating?
I am using bicycles seconds and while they are cheap,
I want to keep them clean as long as possible. For hygena if not for money, as I handle these all day.

Thanks by advance
Leo H
View Profile
Inner circle
1334 Posts

Profile of Leo H
Bob Sheets discusses this in his Hospitality DVDs. In his walk around gigs, he doesn't allow spectators with dirty hands to touch his cards and shares his strategies to prevent this.
Déclic
View Profile
New user
32 Posts

Profile of Déclic
Thanks for the hint. I guess that's another thing I'll get to learn too:)
challengedmichael
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of challengedmichael
I save the old cards for tricks that require tearing cards.
KokoB
View Profile
Loyal user
257 Posts

Profile of KokoB
It is hard for me to depart with my old cards I use it to practice tricks with it, mercury folds.
myrealsphinx
View Profile
New user
Brazil
79 Posts

Profile of myrealsphinx
Mercury folds, tearing cards and trick that only a few cards are used are great. Just put them on top of the deck and inside the box
SimonG-97
View Profile
Special user
508 Posts

Profile of SimonG-97
I keep them and use them for practice, making gimmicks, duplicates , card warp and some decks I just leave lying around the house. Not much good for performing but leave them a week or two and there fine for a quick 15 minute practice. Also handy to have the decks always to hand , can even just put them into a stack and leave them around the house. Might only happen once but when you pick the deck up and go straight into a member deck effect it's worth leaving a few decks around
gregg webb
View Profile
Inner circle
1564 Posts

Profile of gregg webb
Walter E. Cummings, once the chief instructor at the Chavez College, and who taught Channing Pollock, told me he would rub a card that fell with a piece of cloth (or on his pants leg) before returning it to the deck. If anything sticky got on it he would use lighter fluid and a Q-Tip to clean it off. Regards, Gregg
gregg webb
View Profile
Inner circle
1564 Posts

Profile of gregg webb
Have recently heard that carbon tetrachloride is better than lighter fluid to clean a card with a Q-tip, if anything gets on a card when it fell. Be sure to use ventilation when using carbon tet.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Depository » » When the cards fall.... (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL