The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Sword thru neck vs through the neck (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
pbg739
View Profile
Veteran user
San Jose, Ca
340 Posts

Profile of pbg739
Hey everyone. I want to add a final "mini illusion" to my show. I am torn between http://www.dennymagic.com/cgi-bin/hazel.......m=004997

and

http://www.ronjo.com/Merchant2/merchant.......e=076618

Is there another source? Another version I'm missing? I know the sword thru neck, the sword looks and acts kind of fake, so I thought the spike might be more convincing. Also, the stocks on the original will only fit kids and ladie's necks. the price is also a factor. HELP!

Pete
afun14u
View Profile
Loyal user
Tennessee
249 Posts

Profile of afun14u
Hey Pete,

Don't know your budget but save you money and get the sword through neck from Norm Nielson. I think Hocus Pocus sells this one too. It will cost you about $1200.00 but turst me you can't beat it. I have played with a friends and LOVE it. Check it out.

Robert Jones
Empowering Kingdom Growth through Evangelistic Entertainment!
Tantrik
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of Tantrik
I used to do this effect years ago and, quite frankly, I never found it convincing. What the heck is that big hunk of wood going around the neck for? Perhaps, if it were dressed up in another way, it would be useful, but it just didn't work for me.

Looking at the version called "Dante's Sword Through Neck" on the Hocus Pocus site ($1400.00!), the effect looked far more reasonable. But for that much money, I think you could get far more effective items.
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
Frankly I would get neither. The model of Sword through neck you've found is really cheesy and is quite small. I've not seen the spike version but it most likely is pretty cheaply thrown together as well.
I also would never pay for one of the thousand plus dollar models either. In my opinion making the sword examinable does little to enhance the effect, at least the way I perform it. I have a custom stock made for me by Wolfs Magic which works quite well and was a quarter of the price of the thousand dollar models.
Look around and find yourself a moderately priced model of this effect and you won't be sorry. If you go cheap you'll only end up replacing it in the end.
This is my signature effect and I get a good eight to twelve minutes out of it.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
philblackmore
View Profile
Regular user
199 Posts

Profile of philblackmore
I use the Dante version and find it great. If you can afford it its excellent. A real packs small plays big effect.
I personally think that making the sword examinable really adds to the effect. I think they have to really believe the sword is solid for the penetration to be convincing. Maybe you have some other way of doing this, but tapping the sword on the mike stand and having the person check the blade before it goes through their neck really helps.
I've seen one of the cheaper ones (Kovari magic I think) and wouldn't go near it. Big wooden stocks and a toy Sword. Not good at all and ruining the effect completely.

Phil
pbg739
View Profile
Veteran user
San Jose, Ca
340 Posts

Profile of pbg739
I agree. Years ago I had one of the "toy versions" and it served it's purpose. Payne, you mention moderately priced effects or presenatations of this, any leads, or links as to who might make them? The spike just looked a bit more realistic then a velvet lined decor. I trust the word of the magi using this effect in the field. I don't have a lot of money for this, but don't want to replace it 3 weeks later either. *shrugs*
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
I think your friends are looking out for you. My experience with the prop was less than satisfactory. It did work indeed, just as represented. But no one cared. I wish I had spent my money on more silks, ropes, cards, or something else. It was dropped from the show within two weeks and sold for pennies on the dollar. (In fact the buyer's first check bounced.) You can certainly get more bang for the buck. Keep shopping for another effect. There are plenty of great effects out there in that price range and for less money that hold the audience much better. I think it plays better in the catalog than anywhere else. I bought it!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Michael Messing
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville, TN
1817 Posts

Profile of Michael Messing
I've used a cheap sword through neck and a Dante's Sword. I bought the cheap one (Daytona Magic's model) to see what the response would be to it.

I was surprised to find that it went over very well. I always thought the method was too obvious. I still think the lower-priced ones are much more obvious, but seeing the response, I went ahead and bought Dante's Sword.

I love the Dante's Sword. It's expensive ($1,400) but it looks very realistic. It's incredibly well made and the stock looks very innocent. I'm very satisfied with it.

I wish there were a more moderately priced one available that is this effective, but I don't know about it.

Michael
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
When I was a teenage, I performed the "Sword thru Neck" Roydon model (the original) on a local talent contest and won.

Lay audiences like the trick. I think you should get the sword. The rod never appealed to me, I also owned Mak-Magic's Rod thru Neck, Never cared for this model.

There is a magician in California that does the trick all the time. A very funny bit.

Again, this is a classic and it always goes over.

Bill Smile
Magicduck
View Profile
Elite user
Washington State
484 Posts

Profile of Magicduck
Somewhere in the posts, a few months back, we talked about this effect and I discussed my method of making a cheaper sword thru neck very effective by making a special, yet ordinary looking scabbard. You might be able to find this thread somewhere. I did find that, without the ability to show a real steel blade, that has some clout, people tend to look upon the sword as what it is....fake. The modifications make a huge difference. Also, at least the one I have, the stock is no big deal. Not that large, and flat black, so it looks good with the sword I built which is also not adorned other than a black handle but it has a shiny blade (two actually).
quack
Leland
View Profile
Inner circle
St Louis
1180 Posts

Profile of Leland
My friend has one but he never found the right set up to use it properly. He tried different set up but none worked. I think he finally gave up with it. It looked good but not very convincing with the big wood thing around your neck. Maybe you'll have better luck with it.
Life of Magic!
Magicduck
View Profile
Elite user
Washington State
484 Posts

Profile of Magicduck
This is and has been a signature effect for many years, for Tom Ogden, a leading pro. I have not seen him do it personally, but from accounts I have read and pictures of his performance (link below) he is using a cheaper to moderately priced unit..not one of the $1000 plus versions from Europe.

http://www.sam21.org/images/p7120008.htm

As you can see,the big "thing" that goes around the neck is just a flat black "stock" like a single hole pillory. The ones I have seen are not that big either ....just big enough to fit around a regular neck and only an inch or so thick. The only versions I have ever seen that were different than this, used a metal collar, and that was on a very expensive European version. Frankly I think the wood stock looks more ordinary.

This effect, and how it works for you, may largely get into presentation style. Ogden, Joe Berg and the folks I know of who do or did it to great effect used a comedy presentation. As far as "great effect" go to google and put into it

"Tom Ogden" +sword

You will come up with a number of hits for this very effect including laymen describing it as a favorite of theirs in his cruise ship act. I think the trick, either version, would be pretty forgetable if one attempted to do it in a highly dramatic or macabre style. Lots of the fun is the story line and the byplay with the volunteer. Ogden is a master at this. If you have heard the name, Tom is the guy from whom David C took the idea for Banana/Bandana. After that all the pirate versions showed up and Tom finally washed his hands of it.

When doing it for fun entertainment, it is easy to justify the use of the stock as a means to hold the neck in the proper place so the sword will go through cleanly. A wrist chopper is also not an everyday ordinary looking device either, yet one can lead to lots of fun.

Specific comments on the original questions: The so called spike or rod thru neck that I have seen should be avoided. Let us say the rod looked like what they used to, and sometimes still do, use to pull screen doors shut. I looked at the picture at the site you had as the link and this is clearly the same situation, just put a ball on the end of it. Take a look carefully and you will know exactly what I am saying. The cheesy rod makes the cheapest sword look like a truly murderous device.

The ronjo sword effect did not look bad, but I did not like the fancy stock. As I have said...looks best plain and flat black. You could paint that one. Or you could check abbotts in Colon, Michigan. That is an effect they have sold for years. Their stock is ordinary, or at least used to be.

quack
pbg739
View Profile
Veteran user
San Jose, Ca
340 Posts

Profile of pbg739
Thanks magic duck.

I was in a tossup between this or the lemon game. I ruled this out, but after consideration I am considering it again. I am looking for a comedic show, and both this or Lemon Game would be good. I dunno. I'll give it some more thought.

thank you to everyone else who shared some insight.

Pete
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Thanks, Tom Ogden is who I was talking about. I have seen him perform this at a convention and he is truly entertaining.

You said you were choosing between 2 different "thru neck" tricks, now you say you are choosing between a sword trick and a money trick.

Comparing apples to oranges is very confusing.

The Roydon rights were purchased by Haines House of Cards. They were producing some years ago. You would have to ck with them.

Abbott's and Haines do not have the shinny chrome blades for the sword. Abbott's supply mylar strips to apply to the sword to make it shiney. These will have to be replaced with use. Haines blade is dull and they do not provide any fix as Abbott's does.

I would go with the model you list above.

Consider this is a good trick, the lemon game is new.

The classics are always a better bet.

Bill Smile
Magicduck
View Profile
Elite user
Washington State
484 Posts

Profile of Magicduck
I do not know about the blade on the sword listed above, I had assumed it was likely the mylar on the blade, but maybe not. However, the above post is correct...the abbott sword uses a shiny mylar. I have found that this lasts for a long time and is easy to replace. Also, instead of paying the high prices that Abbott charges for a single replacement with the pre-cut mylar, you can get the same material at an auto detail shop, in a sheet, and cut it yourself with a straight edge and xacto knife. For $8.00 I got enough to do the sword probably about 8 times. In the 15 or so years I have had it, I have only redone it one time. It has been used a number of times but if one was doing several shows a day, that would be more of an issue. So, for me, this is not really a disadvantage as I get years out of the blade and since I made mine with the "dupe" blade to switch, using the mylar makes it possible to have absolutely identical blades despite the dissimilar metals.
quack
jamesgreen2
View Profile
New user
Jim Green
7 Posts

Profile of jamesgreen2
The spike that you are referring to from Denny & Lee is not availble. The person who makes that trick lives overseas and makes them once a year. I purchased Mak's Sword through the Neck and it is excellent. I also purchased another one from Abbott's Magic for $165.00 and it is exactly the same manufacture from India. Mak's Magic came out with a new Sword through the Neck in Jan.2005 called Imperial Sword thu the Neck that is better than anybodys right now for around $200.00.
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
2328 Posts

Profile of David Todd
Here is a link showing the one called Imperial Sword Thru the Neck :

http://www.makmagic.com/Sections/product......087#disp

It looks ok in the photo and the description of the one-piece construction (no tape, no mylar strips) sounds good. Given that it is a Mak Magic product I would have to see one up close and handle it before I would feel confident about shelling out $200.00 for it . As MagicDuck points out above , there are several threads archived on the Café about how to make your own sword . Do a search .
the Sponge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta
2776 Posts

Profile of the Sponge
What happened to MAK's double sword throug neck?

s
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3943 Posts

Profile of Julie
A few years ago McDonalds was giving out a small "finger" size Sword Thru Neck...
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9498 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Old post but no one understands that the sword through neck has nothing to do with the prop and everything to do with presentation.

Magicians seem to feel that people don’t know there’s a trick or a gimmick when we do things.. In this case the audience doesn’t care that it’s a trick. What they focus on is the look on the face of your volunteer, especially after you’ve touched their neck with the sword and they’re not sure what’s going to happen.

NO, the sword through neck has nothing to do with fooling anyone but everything to do with theatre.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Sword thru neck vs through the neck (3 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL