The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Contracts (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

curtgunz
View Profile
Special user
Only 99% of users have more than
784 Posts

Profile of curtgunz
This has been discussed before but it has been a while.

Does anyone have a sample contract they are willing to share?
Click for Free Resources for Performers

YouTube channel specifically for family & kids show magicians. Click -- You need to subscribe.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Not to nit pick but a contract for what exactly?

Seriously there are so many different things like kids parties, corporate events, theater shows, restaurants and on and on. Without knowing which one you are looking for nobody can really help.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
curtgunz
View Profile
Special user
Only 99% of users have more than
784 Posts

Profile of curtgunz
Quote:
On Mar 18, 2014, Dannydoyle wrote:
Not to nit pick but a contract for what exactly?

Seriously there are so many different things like kids parties, corporate events, theater shows, restaurants and on and on. Without knowing which one you are looking for nobody can really help.

I'm just throwing this out. I was working on a contract for a festival and thought that there are a lot of performers who may be doing what I'm doing and The Café is so good about helping that I wanted to open it up generally.

So, any contract you think would help another performer.

Make it as open ended or as specific as you think would be beneficial to The Magic Café community.
Click for Free Resources for Performers

YouTube channel specifically for family & kids show magicians. Click -- You need to subscribe.
Jerskin
View Profile
Inner circle
2496 Posts

Profile of Jerskin
Did you Google entertainment contracts?
GrEg oTtO

MUNDUS VULT DECIPI
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2477 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
Here's the contract I used, along with its accompanying letter. The "bracketed" remarks are fields filled in from my client-tracking database.

This was entirely self-written, not lawyer-drafted, but it served its purpose, which was mostly to set forth expectations in detail so nobody could say "you didn't say anything about that." Every provision in the contract was put there because of a real-world problem that I didn't want to ever happen again.

Including a stamped return envelope helped a lot in actually getting the signed contract back - also the contract and letter were sent in an envelope with a big yellow sticker serving as my return address - that sticker helped my mailing not disappear into the client's wastebasket as junk mail.

http://goodmagic.com/dvdx/common/contract.htm
See the BALLYCAST Sideshow Blog & Podcast

There is no "way to peace." Peace is the way.
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10606 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
I would think a performer should have this in place before accepting bookings, no?
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
If it was me, and this is just me, I would not take advice for contracts from anyone on a magic message board. In the long run legal advice can be worth every penny you pay for it and more.

This is the same reason I do not give advice as to contracts or anything of the sort to anyone. I am not a lawyer and have no idea the intricacies that happen from state to state. I do not think discussions of this nature help very much and often leave people far less "protected" than they may imagine.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
latentimage
View Profile
Elite user
No More Room In Hell..
438 Posts

Profile of latentimage
For a good jumping off point, you should check out some of Jim Snack's material for sample contracts, and some ideas of the information you should have in them. Danny is right though, and contacting a lawyer who practices in your state will be essential to making sure you are actually covered, and are not leaving out any important factors. Most of these factors will obviously be derived from your own specific show, so the amount of help someone else's contract will give you will be limited.

Best of luck,

Allen
"Come to the edge," he said, They Said "We Are Afraid," "Come to the edge," he said, They Came, He Pushed Them...And They Flew. -Apollinaire

"If there be a skeptical star, I was born under it. Yet I have lived all my days in complete astonishment." -W. MacNeile Dixon
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Most performance contracts I have seen from performers are what I refer to as "Hospital gown" coverage. It gives you the "illusion" of coverage but when it gets right down to it you have nothing where you probably want it the most.

The worst part is that nobody finds this stuff out until it matters and when it matters is the LAST point in time when you want to figure that stuff out. This is why lawyers are important for legal advice. As I said if only one problem happens in 30 years, they have paid for themselves.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1777 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
Check put Jim Kleefeld's "The Contract Book" on his product page:

http://www.jimkleefeld.com/JWKbooks.html

It has many examples of contracts for different types of occasions. That said, I second Danny Doyle's suggestion to also get legal advice. If anything ever goes wrong, you want to make sure you have the proper legal protection.
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
hady.87
View Profile
New user
88 Posts

Profile of hady.87
I have a full contract but written in arabic language , anyone interested ?
www.hadyakiki.com
will turn your mind upside down
JoshLondonMagic
View Profile
Special user
675 Posts

Profile of JoshLondonMagic
Quote:
On Mar 18, 2014, rossmacrae wrote:
Here's the contract I used, along with its accompanying letter. The "bracketed" remarks are fields filled in from my client-tracking database.

This was entirely self-written, not lawyer-drafted, but it served its purpose, which was mostly to set forth expectations in detail so nobody could say "you didn't say anything about that." Every provision in the contract was put there because of a real-world problem that I didn't want to ever happen again.

Including a stamped return envelope helped a lot in actually getting the signed contract back - also the contract and letter were sent in an envelope with a big yellow sticker serving as my return address - that sticker helped my mailing not disappear into the client's wastebasket as junk mail.

http://goodmagic.com/dvdx/common/contract.htm

I would run for the hills if I saw this contract:

"(b) Performer may bring any assistants he or she may deem necessary, and may avail himself of any refreshments offered to the audience."

So you can bring any amount of people you want and only you can eat their food? The sentence doesn't make any sense and I'm not entirely sure the word "avail" is the right word to use here.

This is why you should listen to guys like Danny and Mindpro and NOT take advice from a magician who wrote his own contract.

"Performer or his assistants may also record, photograph or videotape the performance, including audience members, without further permission or compensation, both for performer’s personal files and for use in promotional materials."

This one line could cause a huge problem if you try this contract in a school.

Ok, I've said enough.

Josh
Josh
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Contracts (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL