The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » HAHAHA.... Beginner's Guide To Comedy Magic (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Shuaige
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of Shuaige
Hi Guys,

I'm new to magic. Can anyone introduce a book on Beginner's Guide To Comedy Magic? I love to poke fun at my friends and I admit I have that little teeny weeny sense of humour in me. Any pre-requisites to learn comedy magic? Does Penn and Teller publish any books? I am from overseas and heard seen some of their performance on youtube. Thanks guys!!!

HoHo,
Lau
Sealegs
View Profile
Inner circle
The UK, Portsmouth
2597 Posts

Profile of Sealegs
Are you looking for gags or ‘tricks’ to play on your pals down the pub? or are you looking to perform an act for an audience? These two things are very different and each has next to no baring on the other. if you’re looking to entertain and have some fun with your friends then books on bar stunts would be probably be the thing you’re after. There are loads of these available. A quick search on your favourite search engine will find many and lots of free stuff on the net. Paul Zenon’s, 100 Ways To Lose A Tenner is a good place to start.

If, however, you are looking to construct a magic act with a presentational style that makes the most of whatever comedic abilities you have then Ian Keable’s book, ‘Stand Up; A Professional Guide to Comedy Magic’ would be a good investment.
Neal Austin

"The golden rule is that there are no golden rules." G.B. Shaw
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
“The whole object of comedy is to be yourself and the closer you get to that, the funnier you will be.

Jerry Seinfield

I find the above true in my journey to humor and comedy.

Zen and the art of the monologue

By Sankey. Helped me.

So did the Artist way by Cameron

Both books are not about magic. The first was written by a magician.

Harris
Still too old to know it all
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
Sealegs
View Profile
Inner circle
The UK, Portsmouth
2597 Posts

Profile of Sealegs
Harris wrote; “The whole object of comedy is to be yourself… “

I prefer to think that the whole object of comedy is to make people laugh… and I believe that most people quickly discover that 'being yourself' is no recipe for comedic success in a theatrical setting.

If you’re starting out as a magic act and have comedic aspirations, my advice is actually not to to go all out for laughs… I think a beginner (or even a proficient hobbyist, part timer or new professional) is better served by scripting a performance that gives a chance to get laughs but that doesn’t rely on them. If they come great your on a winner; if laughs don’t come, then the gaping and obvious void of a failed attempt to get them is avoided. The performer then gets to see what laughs they can create and how they can best get them without the awkwardness of falling flat if they don’t come.

Being yourself may turn out be a route that works and if it does then great.You then have an indication that this is a way in which you can create an enjoyable performance and so it’s something you can peruse. If being someone diametrically opposite to who you are works better for you then feel free to go for that instead.

'Being yourself' is neither required or always appropriate.
Neal Austin

"The golden rule is that there are no golden rules." G.B. Shaw
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Sealegs! THEE & ME -- AGREE!

The late (and great!) JACK BENNY said, "It's not important that the audience laughs at EVERY joke. What is important is, that when you leave the stage, they still like you!"
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
They like you. Well said or quoted.

It is easier to play me. The lines are easier to remember
and adapt. In my earlier days I was a bad copy of

Doug Henning
Harry Anderson
And others.

Last nite before a show a lady asked how I come up with different routines.

My first thought was its easy , I live, listen , write and "re-right".
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » HAHAHA.... Beginner's Guide To Comedy Magic (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL