The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Messed up (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Just when I think I can't get upset anymore about stupid stuff schools do, there's this. I'm going to be calling up.

Colorado girl barred from school for shaving her head to support friend battling cancer
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Hmmm Reminds me borstal, as one could not shave ones head there neither, but they never barred you, rather to the contrary. They used to call it "self abuse" as I recall.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Tree
View Profile
Loyal user
Wiggle Wiggle
295 Posts

Profile of Tree
I live in CO and that girl has every right to support her friend.
It's the school district policies that are messed up.
There's a whole section on hairstyle that affects the learning
environment, but those were written to reflect gang affiliation.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Sort of reminds me of school uniforms. Squelching individuality in the name of eliminating distraction.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
I've a split opinion ... I'm all for the girl supporting her friend battling cancer ... but if it is a private school and the dress code was well advertised and everyone involved knew about it / was made aware of it (and it sounds like they were), why did the mother and daughter feel that flaunting the dress code was the way for the girl to support her friend? There are other options.

More information here, though:

http://www.9news.com/story/news/local/20......6853131/

In particular:

"Caprock Academy also said in their statement that sometimes exceptions can be made to the dress code policy under extraordinary circumstances."
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
silvercup
View Profile
Loyal user
223 Posts

Profile of silvercup
The length of ones follicles is of utmost importance, that is clear.
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On Mar 25, 2014, balducci wrote:
. . . why did the mother and daughter feel that flaunting the dress code . . . .

Or flouting it, even.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On Mar 25, 2014, S2000magician wrote:
Quote:
On Mar 25, 2014, balducci wrote:
. . . why did the mother and daughter feel that flaunting the dress code . . . .

Or flouting it, even.

Lol.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/flaunt

"Although transitive sense 2 of flaunt undoubtedly arose from confusion with flout, the contexts in which it appears cannot be called substandard <meting out punishment to the occasional mavericks who operate rigged games, tolerate rowdyism, or otherwise flaunt the law — Oscar Lewis> <observed with horror the flaunting of their authority in the suburbs, where men … put up buildings that had no place at all in a Christian commonwealth — Marchette Chute> <in our profession … very rarely do we publicly chastise a colleague who has flaunted our most basic principles — R. T. Blackburn, AAUP Bulletin>. If you use it, however, you should be aware that many people [lowly grammar Nazis - ed.] will consider it a mistake."

Smile
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Why can't they be called substandard?

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
On Mar 25, 2014, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Sort of reminds me of school uniforms. Squelching individuality in the name of eliminating distraction.

That is one aspect of this kind of thing, but I'm not even arguing about that. I think there are good arguments on both sides of the dress code thing. But no argument justifies what was done in this particular case.

What I find despicable is the hacks who think that an essentially arbitrary rule is more important than supporting a child who is supporting her young friend battling cancer. I will be calling the school tomorrow morning to say how shocked I was to hear about this and to ask them to explain how they think they are contributing to anyone's education or character with such a course of action. I'm also going to ask them to publicly apologize to both families.

If others would like to join me, I'll post relevant info tomorrow.
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
The school had an opportunity to provide an important teaching moment and blew it. School administrators have shown a blantant disregard for the children in their care's education.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
The school has reversed their decision. Whatever they say, the national scrutiny of their idiocy was too much for them to live with. Sometimes speaking up works. Good for the parents!

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/03/26/sc......-cancer/
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
You want to talk dress code violations? Here's a good one to chew on. http://www.aol.com/article/2014/03/26/ch......webmail7

Edit: Links aren't posting, so if you are interested, Google: Christian school complains 8 year old tomboy isn't feminine enough.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Quote:
On Mar 25, 2014, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Why can't they be called substandard?

Such contexts have become so widely used that the former distinction between the words is rarely observed nowadays. If anything, the use of "flaunt" has become the de facto standard.

I think it's kind of sad, though, to watch words lose their actual meanings. And I'm glad that guys like S2000 take the time to remind us of distinctions that many have forgotten over the years.

I shall now go flaunt something, but not in such a way as to flout the law. Smile
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
And they say language doesn't devolve.

mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
It both evolves in some ways and devolves in others.

Read some Middle or Old English and compare with modern translations. Evolution, devolution, or both?
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On Mar 27, 2014, Michael Baker wrote:
You want to talk dress code violations? Here's a good one to chew on. http://www.aol.com/article/2014/03/26/ch......webmail7

Edit: Links aren't posting, so if you are interested, Google: Christian school complains 8 year old tomboy isn't feminine enough.

Oh yes. Considering myself a Christian (albet a lapsed one) there aren't enough eyerolling avatars Smile to promote my distaste for these people. Smile
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Things that make you go Hmmmm.

Your taste is little girls dressed up as boys and little boys dressed up as girls?
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
LOL-a!

Get a grip, tommy.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Smile Ed knows I am just kidding him.

Tommy
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Messed up (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL