The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Documentaries worth watching (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Quote:
On Apr 6, 2014, Bob1Dog wrote:
My wife and I watched a documentary/movie last night called Downfall, produced in Germany in 2004 about the last days of Hitler in his bunker, watching his world collapse. It was much more interesting than we thought it would be; in fact it was riveting. It's based on the memoirs of Traudl Junge, a young secretary who worked with Hitler in the bunker, and escaped when the Russians entered Berlin. It's subtitled in English and it clearly shows Hitler's rage and madness. I highly recommend it. The acting is superb on all counts and the gent portraying Hitler is most convincing. It's two and a half hours long and we thought it might drag, but there wasn't a dull moment.

With all due respect, this is a theatrical film and by no means a documentary.
damien666
View Profile
Special user
canada
513 Posts

Profile of damien666
'downfall' is actually the source footage for some hilarious 'fake translated videos' on YouTube...
My personal favourite being 'hitler finds out there is no Santa'..
I have never laughed so hard in my life!
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3691 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
LOL! The best Downfall parody ever!

Recently PBS aired a documentary called Zipper: Coney Island's Last Wild Ride, released theatrically in 2012, available on Amazon. It's a fascinating story about the dismantling of the legendary amusement area in Coney Island at the behest of greedy speculators who want to make way for luxury condos and hotels. You follow the fortunes of one of the last rides in the area--the Zipper--as well as the behind the scenes maneuvering by politicians and real estate interests. There are wonderful color visuals of Coney Island, and despite its being a local story, it tells you a lot about why the US is the way it is.

http://www.amazon.com/Zipper-Coney-Islan......ild+ride

I believe it's also available on Netflix.
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4246 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Quote:
On Apr 6, 2014, arthur stead wrote:
Hey Bob, I've seen Downfall, too. Fantastic movie! Absolutely compelling and superbly acted.

Bruno Ganz was absolutely remarkable in that.

And the "Hitler Rants" parodies that the movie spawned are often as hilarious as "Downfall" was excellent.

Here's another:

My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4246 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
We went to the St. Louis arch a number of years ago, and saw a documentary on the building of it in a theatre located in the visitor's center under the arch. Absolutely loved it. It was nominated for the Best Documentary Academy Award.

Here's part 1:

My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6135 Posts

Profile of motown
I think I may have seen that at an exhibition of Eero Saarinen's work in Louisville.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Tim's Vermeer (2013) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3089388/

Quite astounding on many different levels.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Back in 2002, Terry Gillam tried to make a movie called "The Man Who Killed Don Quixote" about a time traveller from modern day who gets yanked back in time and is mistaken by Don Quixote for Sancho Panza. He hired a documentary crew to make a "making of the film" film.

EVERYTHING went wrong, nothing worthwhile got filmed and the only thing that exists of this project now is the documentary of the deconstruction of the film; "Lost in La Mancha"

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0308514/?ref_=tt_rec_tti

Not one to give up, apparently Terry Gillam is trying again with John Hurt (no other information about the cast is available.)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1318517/?ref_=fn_al_tt_8
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
diehards2080
View Profile
Loyal user
Brooklyn, New York
256 Posts

Profile of diehards2080
Netflix had/has a ton of great documentaries that I have watched such as: The Manhattan Project, Blue Gold: World Water Wars, Count Down to Zero, and Pandora's Box
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6135 Posts

Profile of motown
I Finally saw Tim's Vermeer. While I found it fascinating, I wish Penn had spoken to people in the art world who had a counter view point to those in the documentary.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Documentaries worth watching (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL