The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Wires or Monofilament? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Markgician
View Profile
New user
The Story Circle Philippines
59 Posts

Profile of Markgician
Hey there, it's been a while since I last got on the Café. I haven't seen any threads regarding the choice between using Wires or Monofilament nylon threads for your harnesses or bags? I find monofilament nylon wires has the potential to flash if dealing with kids parties etc. I recently got a couple of Dove lite silks and dove lite bags and they came with a short piece of wire, I liked the idea of it, but it's very hard to find, that's why I always resort to using monofilament. What poundage do you use in regards to monofilament? And where's the best place to get wires like the ones included in the dove lite bags and the ones Greg Frewin and Andy Amyx talked about in their videos? Not the exact ones of course but something similar perhaps? Thanks a lot.
#TheStoryCircle
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Since you bought them from Dove Lite, why don't you contact Bob Sanders and ask if he would be willing to sell you a supply of the wire?
~michael baker
The Magic Company
john wills
View Profile
Special user
939 Posts

Profile of john wills
Or go to a flower shop. They have green wires in different thickness.
Paint of spray them black.
Markgician
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of Markgician
Quote:
On Apr 7, 2014, Michael Baker wrote:
Since you bought them from Dove Lite, why don't you contact Bob Sanders and ask if he would be willing to sell you a supply of the wire?

Thanks Mike, but wait, is Bob Sanders the owner of Dove Lite?
#TheStoryCircle
Markgician
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of Markgician
Quote:
On Apr 7, 2014, john wills wrote:
Or go to a flower shop. They have green wires in different thickness.
Paint of spray them black.

Hey John, thanks for the idea, but aren't floral stem wires, too thick?
#TheStoryCircle
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7658 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Go to McMaster Carr or a hobby shop. Get .005 music wire. Then gen gun blueing and color it spit doesn't shine.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
Andy Amyx sells the black wire. I have also found some flexible metal wire in the fishing sections of Bass Pro Shop, Dick's Sporting Goods, and places like that. I have some in a dull silver/gray that is easily colored and I have some coated in black plastic. I like this stuff a lot because it is more stiff than mono but not nearly as stiff as solid wire.

You can 'dull' the mono line with sandpaper and then use a Sharpie permanent marker to 'break up' the visibility of the line. The best color to use depends on your costuming. Its usually best not to color the entire line, but kind of "dot" the line with the marker. I usually use 6-8 pound test line.
Mister Mystery
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4854 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
OK guys, this all comes from my experience and doesn't necessarily mean it's the end all answer. The thickness of the wire should be .oo5 as Richard mentioned. You can get this in black at hobby or sports goods centers, and crafts stores like Michaels. You can also find it in sewing stores like JoAnn's.You can also get the floral wire in different thickness but it is always green. To change it to black, hold the wire under any flame and it will trn black. Wipe it down and flame it again followed by a wipe down.

If you use monofilament line, it shouldn't be any stronger than 4lb test. Remember, you are gliding your dove out and not pulling it out of the pocket. I used to be afraid of breaking the line and used heavy test but soon found out the lighter test was perfectly fine. The "dotting" of the line is correct as Regan mentioned.

To answer the question of which is better, that's a matter of personal taste. With mono line, you have to have some way of securing the line to the jacket. With wire, you just bend it over wherever you want and it stay put. Regardless of whether you use wire or mono, the "flashing" can be eliminated by securing the loop inside the jacket instead of over or outside the lapel. I found this very useful when performing in a close up or parlor type of environment.

In my opinion, wire is much more versatile and is easier to work with than mono line. For those of us with failig eyesight, wire is easier to see. As I describe in my lecture notes, and this is just my prefernce, the bag or holder is attached to a braided line. The other end of the line is attached to the actual wire loop. This gives much more flexibility in positioning the wire loop.
Where the magic begins
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
Speaking of Dave's Lecture Notes, they are a most helpful resource! I have read them through several times and I keep going back top them every so often. I have a ton of dove books and DVDs, but when a question comes up, Dave's "Love Your Doves" lecture notes are the first thing I reach for! About 90% of the time they answer my question(s) and I don't have to look any further.
Mister Mystery
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4854 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Thanks Regan, I'm glad the notes help you out.
Where the magic begins
jasanchez
View Profile
Regular user
153 Posts

Profile of jasanchez
I am using Jaehoon lim's wire its really good.

http://www.jaehoonlim.com/j.h.-wire.html
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Wires or Monofilament? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL