The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Ok coin experts.... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

magicgetsgirls
View Profile
Regular user
171 Posts

Profile of magicgetsgirls
Alright! I'm currently working on a routine where I need to transfer a quarter from finger palm to a goshman pinch. (Coin clipped between 4th finger and pinky.) I can do it fast enough, but I always seem to flash the quarter being transferred as I do so. Are there ANY tips out there that can help me make this invisible? The only thing I can come up with is totally killing my wrist backwards, but I shouldn't need to say this makes me hand look INCREDIBLY unnatural.
Thanks guys.

P.S. If it helps, I'm using this move to make it seem like I only have one coin. (I have the extra coin hidden in my right hand, the right hand throws its coin onto the left palm as the left hand throws the other quarter into goshman pinch.)
Someone who can use his hands is a laborer. Someone who can use his hands, and his mind is a craftsmen. Someone who can use his hands, his mind, and his heart is an artist.
Liam Jones
View Profile
Veteran user
384 Posts

Profile of Liam Jones
Couldn't you use a bit of misdirection and take the coins out of site for a split second
Dan Watkins
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
3028 Posts

Profile of Dan Watkins
If you are going to toss a coin from your right hand, into your left, just put an extra pause in for misdirection.

Drop your left hand and open your right palm up to display the coin in your right hand - stare it the coin yourself, and comment appropriately "one coin in my right hand, etc."

Since your left hand is dropped and all focus is on the coin in your right hand, you can use any backclip get ready of your choice, including Tenkai Pinch.

Then bring your left hand back palm up and dump the quarter from your right to your left hand.

Watch this video HERE. Watch my right hand every time it drops down to my side. You will catch a little bit of finger adjustments going on. It is hard to misdirect a camera, but every time my hand goes down, there is something in my left to look at. In real life, I am close to spectators for this routine (you have to be for your routine too - backclips necesitate being close spectators). When I put my left hand prominently into view, I don't back clip with my right hand until I see their eyes look at my left hand.

In my routine I am making the coin magically travel to the right, but it works just as well if I was going to openly place a coin onto the right palm up hand.
Click to visit:
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Instead of going around, which has lots of options to flash... go THROUGH. This leaves and edge exposed instead of an entire moving side.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
magicgetsgirls
View Profile
Regular user
171 Posts

Sweet. Thanks you guys. I was thinking about small misdirection cues, but I was just wondering if anyone in here can do it flawlessly with someone burning a hole through their hands. This really did help though. Jon Town, what do you mean by going through? I don't understand exactly. Are you saying to use my thumb to push it inbetween my fingers, because I've found this isn't very consistent for me. Thanks again you 3, you really are coin experts!
Someone who can use his hands is a laborer. Someone who can use his hands, and his mind is a craftsmen. Someone who can use his hands, his mind, and his heart is an artist.
Dan Watkins
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
3028 Posts

Profile of Dan Watkins
Yes that is what Jon meant, you can go into Tenkai Pinch by pushing the edge of the coin through your fingers.
Click to visit:
jimisolo
View Profile
Regular user
League City, TX
110 Posts

Profile of jimisolo
I must have oversized knuckles or something, because I swear to Guy Smile , the Goshman pinch took me F.O.R.E.V.E.R to get down. It all started with Wilson's On the Spot video. I just HAD to learn his impromptu Coins Across routine. I NEEDED a good Goshman Pinch, but it was elusive at best. It didn't help matters that one of my other magician friends, who was working on something similar utilizing a Goshman Pinch, got it in like 5 minutes. Smile Oh the evil thoughts I had concerning my friend, Wilson, and Goshman. Don't worry, I've made my peace with all of them since. Smile
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

All this because some people did not learn the tenkai pennies routine in Bobo's when they started.

It is far more efficient to learn coin magic by starting with the basics. There are no shortcuts.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Spot on, JonTown!

I keep learning that lesson, and have to break out the ol' MCM! The Goshman pinch is one I never got...never seemed to "need" it...but now, seeing Dan Watkins, Smile

OK...now I'm gonna learn to do it! Jeez, where were you guys 20 years ago? I'm just beginning to see the possibilities...

Yeppers, JonTown, there really are NO shortcuts...now, if an old dog can learn a new trick... Smile

Doug

Well, I guess that doesn't work too well!

A year and a half ago, I started losing the feeling in my pinky fingers. Something about "pinched nerves", is what the doctor said. A year of chiropractic has done nothing...Goshman Pinch is out...coin falls to the floor, and I can't even feel it!

I guess I'll just have to continue to marvel over Dan's handling...very, very nice!

Doug
Dan Watkins
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
3028 Posts

Profile of Dan Watkins
Dougini,

If you don't have feeling in your pinky fingers, use different clips. I am actually not using the Tenkai pinch in my video, I am using the middle finger back clip taught in Paul Cummins' video "Up In Smoke".

If you are interested in an excellent teaching of that back clip definately get the video.
Click to visit:
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Thanks, Dan!

I think what blows me away, is the last coin...great example of the use of the "heel clip"! I'm so glad I added that to my video clip collection. I put that one in a special folder. I named the folder, "Effects I MUST Learn!"...

I'll look into that Paul Cummins vid...I have some trading to do, pretty soon. If my 'trader" can't find it, I'll save up and buy it...great advice! Middle finger back clip, eh? Seems I saw one of those as a car passed me on the way to work this morning! Smile

Doug
Dan Watkins
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
3028 Posts

Profile of Dan Watkins
The technique on that last coin can be found in David Roth's Expert Coin Magic book. Its not on any of his videos as far as I am aware.

I do teach a better version of that routine on the Coinvention DVD (if it made the cut for the DVD).

Not sure how it turned out, my hands were a bit shakey from adrenaline.
Click to visit:
magicgetsgirls
View Profile
Regular user
171 Posts

Whats up....
I realize this topic kind of blended off, but I think I came up with my misdirection. When I need to put the left hand quarter into goshman pinch, I'm simply going to throw my right hand quarter a little higher up before I catch it on my left fingers. Either that or I'll throw it out to someone in the audience to catch.
Later on guys.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

I'm not much on backclip with my left hand, so to follow your example I've had to reverse R and L... so here goes;

If your goal is to get a coin backclipped just before your other hand tosses a coin onto what needs to look like an empty hand... (hey, I have a coins across that uses this BIG-TIME :o) )...

Then it really helps to LOOK AT the coin just before you toss or move it over. Then at the audience while you bring it over, or toss it. You now have a good two beats to work with while the audience is looking at the coin and then at you to quietly backclip the coin. Applying this to your situation... if you start by turning over the coin displayed on your hand using only the one hand... you will have a moment to backclip the other coin in the other hand. Does that work for you?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Ok coin experts.... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL