The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » The wrong reaction? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Mark,
You must remember you are performing for the Magic Circle. All magicians have their likes and dislikes. If you are trying to impress knowledgeable magicians, you must create something that will "blow them away".

Example: Paul Gertner blew Dai Vernon away with his ring on glass stem.

Good luck at your venture, you have made a real challenge for yourself.

Bill
Bill Hallahan
View Profile
Inner circle
New Hampshire
3226 Posts

Profile of Bill Hallahan
Quote:
I don't DO puzzles, and really don't care to watch them. If you insist on doing something that effectively asks the audience to consider HOW you did what you did... you are asking for the "That's clever" response as your best outcome. Sad.

Of course you don’t present magical effects as puzzles. However, I do maintain that some people regard all effects that they can’t explain as puzzles. I am such a person.

Even if you frame an astonishing effect in a theatrical presentation with an emotional hook, a few seconds after the astonishment passes, I’m going to start searching for methods. This means that I am interpreting the effect as a puzzle. For people like myself, you can only delay this search with good presentation, you can’t eliminate it. I was this way long before I became a magician. In my youth, I became obsessed with cause and effect. I wanted to know how radios, televisions, stereos, planes, etc… worked. While I did read fiction as a child, the bulk of the books I read were about physics or about how machines worked. This drove my career choice as an engineer later in life.

You can’t change this type of spectator. They are going to regard all your effects that they can’t explain as puzzles after the show. Most of the time, they are even going to regard them as puzzles during the show.

Granted, I would rather hear, “That’s amazing” than “That’s clever.” However, the phrase, “That’s clever” doesn’t necessarily indicate that the speaker knows the method for any effect, so the comment needn’t be interpreted in a negative fashion.
Humans make life so interesting. Do you know that in a universe so full of wonders, they have managed to create boredom. Quite astonishing.
- The character of ‘Death’ in the movie "Hogswatch"
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2004-01-22 13:05, wmhegbli wrote:
Mark,
You must remember you are performing for the Magic Circle. All magicians, they have their likes and dislikes.

Re-read the original post. He said that the comments were coming from non-magicians.

Mithrandir said:
Quote:
Let's see. Hugard and Braue say there are three types of Conjurer. The one who just makes people laugh effortlessly, and can entertain with magic or anything else. Next type is the serious conjurer, and last is the gentlemanly, urbane conjurer, who has to work on his presentation the most of all. That is where most magicians lie, I suppose.

What Hugard and Braue may have overlooked is that some of us who can "make people laugh effortlessly" are acutely aware of what we do that makes them laugh and work on it enough so that it appears to be effortless. It takes a LOT of practice to make them laugh effortlessly. And it takes a specific mindset. If this is the direction you want to go, Steve Allen's book How to be Funny is one of the best inspirations I know.

I have many friends who fall into the second category. Most of them fail miserably at entertaining ( and I don't necessarily mean take "entertaining" to mean making people laugh ) because they simply do not "connect" with the audience. People who project being self-absorbed to the audience will often bore them to tears. When this type of magician finds himself in a "real world working situation," he quite often learns quickly that an engaging smile and a nice chuckle will take him much farther than a perfect pass and an excellent top change.

Regarding the third category: maybe there are a lot of magicians who fall into this category, but I see far too few of them. I see more of a fourth category. That is the absolute PEST who inflicts magic on people whether they like it or not, and whose idea of humor is somewhere between the knees and the belly button. These never last long.

Now, how do you avoid the "that was clever" comment? There are two elements to this. One is that you must entertain the audience. This doesn't just mean that you must make them laugh. You must engage their attention in a positive manner and keep it.

And you must know when to stop. This is one of those cases where less is more. Always leave them wanting more.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » The wrong reaction? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL