The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Gabriel Garcia Marquez, (7 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
I'll never forget reading Love in the Time of Cholera for the first time.

RIP
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Years ago, in NYC there used to be hip little store called Macondo. Now there's a restaurant by that name:

MobilityBundle
View Profile
Regular user
Las Vegas/Boston
120 Posts

Profile of MobilityBundle
If you don't count books with equations, source code, chess notation, or magic-related diagrams, there's very little I've read. Even when it came to literature I was assigned to read for school, I would hardly ever do it.

Marquez's 100 Years of Solitude is one of the few exceptions. In fact, it might be the only work of fiction I've read twice.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
One of the great first sentences in literary history:

"Many years later, as he faced the firing squad, Colonel Aureliano Buendia was to remember that distant afternoon when his father took him to discover ice."

I was listening to a talk Marquez gave where he said that he had no idea where the novel was going when he wrote that sentence. But he sat down and wrote everyday for 18 months.

There is a wonderful tribute being done that you can hear being streamed on this Internetty thing, which includes a remembrance by Isabel Allende, on the wonderful Amy Goodman's show, Democracy Now! here: http://www.democracynow.org/
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
Strangely, considering how much I liked Cholera, I haven't read 100 Years of Solitude but I will remedy that shortly.

(and that's despite having read that first line dozens of times).
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
!00 Years of Solitude was one of the most memorable books I've ever read. And it's been nearly forty years since I did. Think I'll read it again.
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
I am with Bob (and MobilityBundle). A wonderful book, long overdue a reread.

Mobilitybundle, you need to stay in more. There are so many wonderful books and authors waiting for you.
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
You've all convinced me - bought 100 days today - was lucky to get it - seems everyone suddenly wants it but I found a copy - be easier if I was prepared to read digitally but when I expect to really enjoy a book I want a real one.

I did read The Autumn of the Patriarch digitally - the New Yorker has it free online if anyone else is interested. http://www.newyorker.com/archive/1976/09......ntPage=1
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
20+ years for me. Rereading begins this evening.
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Here's a more permanent link to the Marquez tribute on Democracy Now. There are options to either watch it or listen to it.
http://www.democracynow.org/shows/2014/4/18?autostart=true
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Gabriel Garcia Marquez, (7 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL